Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime pokemon games

Beans00

Erudite
So recently I found my old childhood copy of pokemon yellow. Sick game, then I let one of my daughters mess around with it and now my household has pokemania.

So question for anyone, I only played gen 1-2-3. I liked them all except 3 had too much water so that was kind of gay(but it was still solid). Emerald and crystal are like fucking 300$ now but I ordered Chinese clones for like 10$ so thats cool, thanks china for the illegal copies of overpriced games.

So my question is, gen 4 and beyond any good? Are the remakes of gen 2/3 any good(I believe they are in gen 4 and 5 or 6?)?

Also yellow was the best because you could get all 3 starters.

Gen 4 is good, namely Platinum and HGSS. Vanilla Diamond and Pearl had a lot of pacing and QoL issues that were fixed in Platinum so play that instead. Gen 4 is the last gen that well executes the fantasy of traversing the untamed wilderness, though some people didn't like the sheer number of HMs you needed to get around climbing mountains and such.

Black and White are good. They are when the first symptoms of the franchise's decline appears. No more exploration, no world with routes that loop in on themselves. The world is a straight corridor you go down. Hardly any need for HMs besides surf. The adventure element begins to disappear. Also, you get exp share for your whole party, so there is no more picking and choosing which Pokemon to focus on developing for a particular leg of your journey. There is also no side activity to progress through like Pokemon Contests. However, there is still a lot of fun to be had. The regular NPC trainers are overall more difficult than in prior gens, and the final level was pretty tough and left me sweating. The story is also well written, with likeable characters and threatening villains and some good climaxes, but doesn't get too up its own ass or trap you in overly long cutscenes like the following gens.

XY is when things start becoming bad. First, the games from here on out are easy. You never feel challenged, neither in the adventure gameplay of traversing the world, or in party management, or in battle. The biggest selling point is Mega Evolution, aka super sayian transformations during battle, but only Kanto mons got them and there are no threatening foes to use them against. What little exploration was still left in BW is now completely gone. The games move away from the unique Japanese fantasy world of prior games, and instead start feeling like boring real life countries but with Pokemon. They moved away from 2D sprites to 3D models, and they just aren't as charming. Overall aesthetic downgrade. Being able to dress up your trainer is nice, though. Lastly, the story starts being conveyed in a frustrating manner. You walk forward 10 feet and then get yanked into a long unskippable cutscene in which usually nothing exciting happens. Most of the plot is boring. Another issue is that this is the first Pokemon game where much of the cast are unlikeable.

ORAS has some merits but are not replacements for Gen 3. Exp share makes combat and party management too easy. The game often automatically teleports you after a cutscene and heals your team to full so there is no attrition and trying to conserve items. You need to use a lot of HMs to get around again but you never feel like you are alone, trying to bushwhack thtough a huge untamed wilderness like in classic Pokemon. The rounded and oversaturated 3D models don't convey the rougher world of the originals. However, the game gives you easy access to most Pokemon in thd franchise released up to that point, including legendaries, which is nice if you want to mix and match a team of your favorites across nearly two decades of Pokemon. You now get mega evolutions for gen 2 through 4 Pokemon, but if you liked gen 5 and 6 mons then you are out of luck. Story is overall the same with a few new filler scenes. Main problem is that modern Game Freak tells the story through long cutscenes, so despite being the same plot deauence as gen 3 it takes 3x longer than it should to get to the point. Also, instead of using a menu to fast travel fly to s city you can instead manually fly on Latias/Latios over a miniature world map of Hoenn. Sadly this feature was discontinued.

Gen 7 continues to be mediocre like gen 6. You get the longest and most boring story to date. Instead of an exciting fantasy adventure, you instead get mommy issues. The villainous team are just angsty teenagers who hang out in the back alleys. Cast is boring again. Nothing exciting happens until the final boss fight which had a copout ending. Combat is boring easy, no exploration, world is just Hawaii, yadda yadda. You lose your favorite Mega Evolutions (technically not removed as a game mechanic until gen 8, but you need mega stones to mega evolve, but you can't transfer in keystone items from gen 6, and most mega stones in gen 6 were only available from limited time giveaways). You get Z moves, which are moves with fancy cutscenes that can only be used once per battle. Kinda neat but nowhere near as cool as megas. There are Alolan formes for gen 1 mons, ie a sparkly ice Vulpix or a surfer Raichu. Again if you liked mons from after Kanto then you're out of luck.

Ultimately SM was the last Pokemon game I bought. The series had been on the decline for 3 gens, and I wasn't enamored by the last 2 gens. The games had become too easy, the fantasy setting and untamed wilderness replaced by boring copies of safe real life countries with developed infradtructufe and lacked the high fantasy appeal of the early games, and the stories had become boring slice of life stuff instead of thrilling adventures. Not just dexit, but hearing that SWSH was pathetically easy, had no exploration, had another retard rival, was set in boring modern Britain, and the team were just sports fans rooting for their favorite trainer rather than actually threatening bad guys was the last straw for me.

After this I played a few fan games like Insurgence, which are kinda okay, but ultimately I just accepted that nothing would recapture the feel of classic Pokemon. I decided to move on with my life and find new things to enjoy.

P.S: I recommend some of the side games:

Hey You Pikachu: you get a Pikachu you can talk to with the microphone. Each day you and Pikachu get to walk around a forest or a lake, digging up acorns or meeting wild Pokemon like a Bulbasaur who cooks. Very chill. The game didn't properly define player expectations for the microphone. IIRC someone recently managed to get the microphone working on emulator and figured out what was happening under the hood. The game doesn't load all of the keywords in every level, so if you said something in one level, it might not work in another. You also can't say natural sentences. You want to say keywords by themselves.

Pokemon Colosseum: you play as a former gangster and robber who has helped impoverish and ruin the region and pervert what is good. The game starts with you blowing up your gang's base and embarking a mission to take back the Pokemon your gang stole and give it back to the people, purify corrupted Pokemon, and overthrow the tyranny you helped install. But just because you've become a defector doesn't mean people forget what you did before. Most people aren't friendly to you. It's not story heavy like a Final Fantasy game but it does have quite the vibe. The game is set in a barren, desolate wasteland with pockets of civilization centered sround a few watering holes. There are no wild Pokemon to capture or level grind against, instead there are a limited roster of like 30 Pokemon, so the game can be difficult as you have to pick the right Pokemon for the right job and manage the limited amount of resources you have. I remember the final level being pretty tough.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. The selling point is the very likeable characters and a well written story. Good ending. Gameplay is okay. It takes too long before you are allowed to recruit and customize your 3rd and 4th party member slots, but once you do the midgame becomes pretty fun.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
So my question is, gen 4 and beyond any good? Are the remakes of gen 2/3 any good(I believe they are in gen 4 and 5 or 6?)?
I think so. The only real bump in the road is Sword and Shield, which didn't seem to capture my interest like the others did.

I honestly have the opposite take as Val, though. I don't really play the Pokemon games for a challenge. I play them to "Catch 'Em All". I also prefer ExpShare as a standard for the Pokemon games and consider it somewhat odd that it took Pokemon so long to adapt this considering party based CRPGs have done this for decades, and Game Freak drug their heels for so long on it. I don't really consider grinding up experience "fun", particularly in games before Scarlet & Violet where you're stuck to what Pokemon you find on the routes to whereever you're headed next. When I start a game, I generally look around Bulbapedia to see what Pokemon I want for my team, and then narrow that down to what is accessible fairly early on. If there's a Pokemon you want on your team that's between say the third and fourth gym, you'll have to do a bit of backtracking and grind that Pokemon up to the level your team is before you can go back to the route where you caught it in games without ExpShare.

Of course, some of this stems from the fact that I play every game like I'm doing the "Professor Oak Challenge", which is that I catch every Pokemon possible on each route before I move on. I never knew there was a term for how I play until I ran across a video about it, but some people actually make this a challenge. Anyway, this often results in me being overlevelled. So, a lot of that backtracking is just because of how I play, but I'm ready to move on as quickly as possible. ExpShare means that I can keep that Pokemon in the party and use another Pokemon as the head of the party in the meantime.

Furthermore, I really, REALLY like ORAS. ORAS is the only legit Pokemon game that has "DexNav", which will show you what Pokemon are on each route. Why on Earth Game Freak came up with this idea and then ditched it for later games is beyond me. Though, Scarlet and Violet has a similar thing to DexNav, which allows you to see what Pokemon are in the area when you open the world map.

My advice is to get a 3DS while you still can. Then jailbreak it. The 3DS can have all the Pokemon games through Gen 7. Furthermore, there's a nice homebrew Pokemon storage app called PKSM, which can store any Pokemon from Gen 1 through 8 on the 3DS. It also even works with ROM Hacks.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Gen 7 continues to be mediocre like gen 6
I would actually call it unplayable because of the cutscene to gameplay ratio being so bad. And it is one of the first gens where rom hacks can't do anything for it since nobody has figured out how to skip the cutscenes.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
And it is one of the first gens where rom hacks can't do anything for it since nobody has figured out how to skip the cutscenes.
I actually like the Gen 7 games, but they're also the generation without any remakes. Gen 3 had the Gen 1 remakes. Gen 4 had the Gen 2 remakes. Gen 5 didn't have remakes. Gen 6 had the Gen 3 remakes. Gen 7 didn't have remakes. Gen 8 had Let's Go Gen 1 remakes AND Gen 4 remakes.

It's pretty shocking what they can do with the FireRed ROM hacks, though. There's entire toolsets designed for hacking that ROM.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Pokemon really changes it's focus with Black/White and it's a massive step back in terms of gameplay. Game freak start 'taking the story seriously' which means you get rail roaded into endless bland dialog box skipping every time you clear a route. As the series continues it gets worse until Sun/Moon is FF13 levels of hallway simulator. Series kind of recovers in parts of the latest one but it's still got way too much meaningless dialog from bland characters.

You will find a lot of pokefags going "OMG THE BEST GAME IS BLACK/WHITE!" because pretty much everyone who didn't like it has moved on at this point. I would actually recommend emulating or buying a cheap emulation device to play classic pokemon. Gen 1-3 are still great but they're really slow even with all the speed options turned to max. Gameboy games play better at double speed for sure. If you insist on real hardware make sure to get matching copies so your family can trade and battle. It's a big part of the early games sadly lost with todays stuff.

Yuber

Educated
After Black/White Pokemon ist not the same anymore. With the 3D change my interest went away and every game is just bad

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pokemon really changes it's focus with Black/White and it's a massive step back in terms of gameplay.
My only problem with Black & White is that they ditched all the Pokemon from Gen 1 through 4. Black & White actually has some pretty big improvements over the previous generations. The training is pretty fun and makes good use of the DS's features. It dabbled around with some internet features. The plot is absolutely crazy and the story demonstrates the gym leaders, Elite Four, and Champion doing more than just sitting around in a room, waiting for the player. It shook up the "rival" thing. Team Plasma is one of the more interesting antagonist teams in any of the Pokemon games, especially given the dynamics with N and Ghetsis.

Honestly, the DS/3DS line of Pokemon games get shit on unfairly, in my opinion. You look at the features and things they added which the DS/3DS allowed them to add and you'll see that Game Freak used to care about making the most of the hardware the game is on. I'd say that the big drop in quality was once the Switch games started being released. Sword & Shield just really isn't as good as the previous DS/3DS games and some of that has to do with the limits of the Switch and docked mode. Let's Go is fun, but there are problems with the new catch mechanics that older players probably won't like, but it's a decent take on Kanto. I did like Legends Arceus and Scarlet & Violent, giving the nod to Scarlet & Violet as being better for the reasons I mentioned above. Now, having said all that, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl just are piss poor remakes. The underworld is fine, but you can no longer make cool bases there. Your lair is just a statue storage room. A lot of things from the original game are somewhat scaled back. They added ExpShare, which I like, but didn't rebalance the game for it at all. Instead, they opted to give the Elite Four and Cynthia perfect IV pokemon and some other crazy things. Cynthia's Garchomp is pretty OP.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Pokemon really changes it's focus with Black/White and it's a massive step back in terms of gameplay.
My only problem with Black & White is that they ditched all the Pokemon from Gen 1 through 4. Black & White actually has some pretty big improvements over the previous generations. The training is pretty fun and makes good use of the DS's features. It dabbled around with some internet features. The plot is absolutely crazy and the story demonstrates the gym leaders, Elite Four, and Champion doing more than just sitting around in a room, waiting for the player. It shook up the "rival" thing. Team Plasma is one of the more interesting antagonist teams in any of the Pokemon games, especially given the dynamics with N and Ghetsis.

Honestly, the DS/3DS line of Pokemon games get shit on unfairly, in my opinion. You look at the features and things they added which the DS/3DS allowed them to add and you'll see that Game Freak used to care about making the most of the hardware the game is on. I'd say that the big drop in quality was once the Switch games started being released. Sword & Shield just really isn't as good as the previous DS/3DS games and some of that has to do with the limits of the Switch and docked mode. Let's Go is fun, but there are problems with the new catch mechanics that older players probably won't like, but it's a decent take on Kanto. I did like Legends Arceus and Scarlet & Violent, giving the nod to Scarlet & Violet as being better for the reasons I mentioned above. Now, having said all that, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl just are piss poor remakes. The underworld is fine, but you can no longer make cool bases there. Your lair is just a statue storage room. A lot of things from the original game are somewhat scaled back. They added ExpShare, which I like, but didn't rebalance the game for it at all. Instead, they opted to give the Elite Four and Cynthia perfect IV pokemon and some other crazy things. Cynthia's Garchomp is pretty OP.
If you like all the bells and whistles I can see why you would like the DS and onward games but personally I can't stand them. I fucking hate team plasma talking about their latest evil scheme which goes no where and serves no purpose. I don't use dress up pikachu features and I don't make curry. I want to explore a world, capture monsters and fight them. Everything beyond that is filler wasting my time compared to what I want to be doing. I'm okay with some story in pokemon but pokemon does story telling very poorly and the gameplay has suffered immensely for features that disappear next gen any way.

I liked Sword/Shield outside of it's story because it was my home nation. I enjoyed seeing the spin on it. But I wanted to skip every story element and just play the game. Scarlet and Violet disappointed me by being insultingly bland. There's so much they could do (and lets be honest, Pal world does) and instead we got the blandest possible pokemon open world. I'd shit on Arceus but it's all the same story. I enjoy monsters, I enjoy exploring. Anything that gets in my way of that I'm going to hate. Arceus was a great concept but it didn't do enough with it and the story is still bland, still in the way and still way too intrusive. And I can't stand the ride pokemon concept. Let me use my pokemon to explore, stop giving me some fursona with a basket.

BD and SP weren't unplayable until the Elite 4 sky rocket the difficulty. My biggest problem was I couldn't stop the pokemon from cheating. Once you maxed happiness they would refuse to die, get free crits or simply dodge attacks all together. I loathed every time it happened and started to feed them stuff to make them less happy. I felt robbed of victories because my pokemon cheated me through battles. The exact opposite of what I wanted from a pokemon game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
But I wanted to skip every story element and just play the game. Scarlet and Violet disappointed me by being insultingly bland. There's so much they could do (and lets be honest, Pal world does) and instead we got the blandest possible pokemon open world. I'd shit on Arceus but it's all the same story
Arceus would have been a great time for them to do things like Pal World did, since Arceus is building the culture of Sinnoh.
BD and SP weren't unplayable until the Elite 4 sky rocket the difficulty.
I was breezing through Shining Pearl and got absolutely stomped at the Elite Four. I had to go back and grind before trying it again. It was a heck of a shock. I'd heard it was hard, but it's crazy hard. I blew so much money on potions and other items just to get through it even after grinding.
My biggest problem was I couldn't stop the pokemon from cheating. Once you maxed happiness they would refuse to die, get free crits or simply dodge attacks all together. I loathed every time it happened and started to feed them stuff to make them less happy.
I actually like this feature, but it does need to be balanced. I think it's based on Friendship, though, rather than happiness. Honestly, it's a decent reflection of the cartoon.
I fucking hate team plasma talking about their latest evil scheme which goes no where and serves no purpose.
This is why I liked Ghetsis and Team Plasma. Ghetsis was lying. Their whole gimmick was just something he was feeding them about how Pokemon are used as slaves. He was never about the Pokemon or their treatment. It was entirely him trying to get power. Honestly, I think the game should have ended with a Double Battle with N joining you to defeat Ghetsis. Would that have been an easier battle than the one on one with N? Sure. But it also would have made sense. And N had every right to be completely pissed off about Ghetsis's bullshit.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Could you explain what you like about pokemon stories please? I find them really annoying after Gen 2. My limits is basically 5 dialog boxes before I'm sick of people talking to me in these games. And that's gameboy boxes not Switch. I'd like for the gym leaders to be more involved in the plot but the gym leaders are barely people. Seeing them do stuff would be neat but it needs to be related to them. Like show me a gym leader battling a rampaging gyrados and do a double battle with them or something so you have more than "Oh no, I must stop team rocket!" and then they do nothing but double battle with you once in the last room. The bitch with the chansey in the forest has more attachment value than any of the gym leaders in any game.

Could you explain what you like about pokemon stories please?

I thought the plots of Gen 3 and Gen 4 were cool high fantasy stuff, with the bad guys wanting to literally reshape the geography of the world. BW had a much more emotional story with the characters and explored plausible, grounded motivations for Team Plasma that might arise in such a fantasy setting in which Pokemon are so revered to the point that a civil rights movement might emerge for them.

The early anime movies had exciting high fantasy adventure stories, be it about the heroes swimming to this creepy castle in the middle of the ocean built by this super Pokemon, or sailing around islands being chased by a collector in his airship, or the emotional story of movie 3 with the dream reality, or Jirachi with the scorned mad scientist fixating on his life's achievement and the nightmare horror that ensues, etc.

Explorers of Sky had likeable characters and enough plot tension to be keep me engaged, and the ending was a little emotional.

Beans00

Erudite
Thanks to everyone for the detailed replies, I will definitely check out the post gen 3 games and give them a fair shake

Td9n.gif

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Could you explain what you like about pokemon stories please?
Well, let me first address the elephant in the room. Game Freak likes their cutscenes WAY too much. And I think Ultra Sun and Moon are some of my favorite of the Pokemon games. But do they have way too many cutscenes? Oh yeah, they really, really do. They really need to figure out a way to convey a story without stopping the game for multiple minutes.

To be honest, I'm more in for the catching the Pokemon than anything else. You know what Black and White did well? It integrated the story with the endgame. The endgame for pretty much all Pokemon games is the Elite Four and the Champion. In Black & White, the antagonist team puts their best trainer forward and defeats the guy you know as the Champion for the entire game, thus he becomes the Champion and you have to defeat him. I don't think there's any other game that does that as well. Sword & Shield involves the Champion with the "bad guy" at the end, but not as well as Black & White.

Hell Swarm

Educated
The early anime movies had exciting high fantasy adventure stories, be it about the heroes swimming to this creepy castle in the middle of the ocean built by this super Pokemon, or sailing around islands being chased by a collector in his airship, or the emotional story of movie 3 with the dream reality, or Jirachi with the scorned mad scientist fixating on his life's achievement and the nightmare horror that ensues, etc.
The pokemon movies are excellent summer block busters. When you're sick and want an easy to follow movie with a decent story Pokemon is almost always the way to go. They're good family movies with a good balance of action and story.
Explorers of Sky had likeable characters and enough plot tension to be keep me engaged, and the ending was a little emotional.
I played the first mystery dungeon and couldn't really get into it. I had played Nethack and it felt like Nethack for children. It's great you can get into the stories though.

Thanks to everyone for the detailed replies, I will definitely check out the post gen 3 games and give them a fair shake

Td9n.gif
You should also check out the space world 2nd gen rom 'hack'. Gen 2 pokemon was completely scrapped and redone after a demo was shown at Space world (I want to say 95?) media convention. A copy of it was found a few years ago and fans have fixed up the missing parts of a 90% version. It's a brand new Gen 2 pokemon game with lots of personality and some cut pokemon in it. Really fun for old timers to get a new GB pokemon.. Even if the best ice type was cut from the official releases.

I don't think there's any other game that does that as well. Sword & Shield involves the Champion with the "bad guy" at the end, but not as well as Black & White.
Might be nostalgia talking but I thought Gen 1's final gym and champion was the best. You see the new champ grow and learn as he goes and then you meet an asshole you didn't expect but it really builds on how Team Rocket has it's fingers in many pies. I thought the paki in SW/SH was pretty well done as a character. Hated how he kept pestering you but he at least had a personality. He kept trying new things until he realized he needed to stick with his bros not capture the latest mons. Which is sadly the opposite of what Game freak now does with the game. They will always hand you a type advantage of a suitable level outside the gym now. Before you had to explore to get your types and now it's just there.

I should play through the S/V DLC but I hated the story stuff in the main game and I'm concerned Pal world has made modern pokemon unplayable to me. It made the pokemon game I always wanted.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Might be nostalgia talking but I thought Gen 1's final gym and champion was the best. You see the new champ grow and learn as he goes and then you meet an asshole you didn't expect but it really builds on how Team Rocket has it's fingers in many pies.
I'll admit, I thought this was pretty awesome as well. My first experience with Kanto was "Let's Go, Pikachu". I was pretty shocked when I got to that gym.

When you were asking me about story, one thing I probably should have mentioned is something I really want is to see the "politics" of the region. The world of Pokemon revolves around Pokemon, so I would think that Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, and the Champion would at least be partially involved in the politics of the region, if not the outright governing bodies. Honestly, it's how I also rate which Champions are my favorite. You have this evil team that's creating problems, and while you're the hero, it's great to see the champion get involved periodically as if they have a stake in that region.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Might be nostalgia talking but I thought Gen 1's final gym and champion was the best. You see the new champ grow and learn as he goes and then you meet an asshole you didn't expect but it really builds on how Team Rocket has it's fingers in many pies.
I'll admit, I thought this was pretty awesome as well. My first experience with Kanto was "Let's Go, Pikachu". I was pretty shocked when I got to that gym.

When you were asking me about story, one thing I probably should have mentioned is something I really want is to see the "politics" of the region. The world of Pokemon revolves around Pokemon, so I would think that Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, and the Champion would at least be partially involved in the politics of the region, if not the outright governing bodies. Honestly, it's how I also rate which Champions are my favorite. You have this evil team that's creating problems, and while you're the hero, it's great to see the champion get involved periodically as if they have a stake in that region.
If you haven't check out the pokemon shorts on youtube. They're 2-5 minute videos that do a huge amount of world building in that time. Small non-combat stories about the world. There's also a OAV series of Gen 1's story and web exclusive animes worth checking out like Twilight wings.

I thought this was one pretty sweet and had a couple of fun jokes.

Anime based on the most recent series.

Twilight Wings. (last gen's short anthology series)

Pokemon has loads of these things. You stumble on them and watch the whole run in an hour wishing the actual anime was like it. Maybe the latest one is but I assume it's probably not. Digimon does overarching stories better so if I want monster anime series I'll generally check out those.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Forgive the double post.

I watched this one a while ago. Despite the lack luster animation style it's a beautiful piece of art and makes pokemon shine in a way Game freak never have.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Despite the lack luster animation style it's a beautiful piece of art and makes pokemon shine in a way Game freak never have.
I've seen a few of these, like the one with the Jigglypuff that didn't want to sing and there was one where this old couple were using a Fire type pokemon to heat their house and cook their food. It was shy, so it liked living in their heating ducts.

Speaking of Pokemon games, have you ever seen PokeWilds? It's a fan game. It's basically Pokemon Survival. Fighting types can build things, Grass types can cut trees and such, Electric types can power generators, and so on. The default graphics are Gen 1, but there's a Gen 3 graphics pack for it.

https://github.com/SheerSt/pokewilds/releases <- Actual Game

https://github.com/BansheeStudio/PokemonWildsGen3Overhaul <- Gen 3 Graphics

Hell Swarm

Educated
Despite the lack luster animation style it's a beautiful piece of art and makes pokemon shine in a way Game freak never have.
I've seen a few of these, like the one with the Jigglypuff that didn't want to sing and there was one where this old couple were using a Fire type pokemon to heat their house and cook their food. It was shy, so it liked living in their heating ducts.

Speaking of Pokemon games, have you ever seen PokeWilds? It's a fan game. It's basically Pokemon Survival. Fighting types can build things, Grass types can cut trees and such, Electric types can power generators, and so on. The default graphics are Gen 1, but there's a Gen 3 graphics pack for it.

https://github.com/SheerSt/pokewilds/releases <- Actual Game

https://github.com/BansheeStudio/PokemonWildsGen3Overhaul <- Gen 3 Graphics

I played it a year or two ago now. It was neat but not fleshed out enough at the time.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I played it a year or two ago now. It was neat but not fleshed out enough at the time.
I think I got it in to a few months ago. It's not bad. I'm really waiting for them to get the Android version done. And multiplayer. Supposedly version 9 will have multiplayer, and they're on 8.11.

I played it for a bit after watching a few videos on it. Watching people steal eggs and run for their lives was pretty fun to watch.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Incidentally, if you're cool with a more laid back experience, you can't go wrong with the Pokemon Snap games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom