Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon used to not be as gay

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It also has loads of fuckable Digimon, which is always a bonus. And its Digimon designs rocked overall.

You mean like this,

tN9ulU9.png

YES!

345a7b4b0dffa6c7d8c0810845f41aed.jpg

prasit-salitee-angle-womon.jpg

flyingjohn

Arcane
First minutes of the game.
Wow, it gets better. Arceus game is a fucking isekai, a bad one unlike the MD Pokemon games. Your avatar even shows up with a literal god-phone to justify the menus, kek. Completely unnecessary, but fitting for modern audience I guess.

The game is on track to become the best selling pokemon title.Everybody is loving it.Except the people who actually like Pokemon's core mechanics and hate the dumbed down combat and laughably bad "action" additions.
All they had to do was advertise "LIVING WORLD" ,add rolling and let you ride a pokemon with a mmo checklist.
This is Pokemon's future from now on.
I would be mad but,every year new romhacks are made and they do a better job then gamefreak ever could do in terms of difficulty and the core combat.

This gives me flashbacks to tomb raider when the new trilogy came out and everybody was praising it.The original trilogy equally had lots of fan missions so i didn't care.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game is on track to become the best selling pokemon title.Everybody is loving it.Except the people who actually like Pokemon's core mechanics and hate the dumbed down combat and laughably bad "action" additions.
The only people who I can see not liking Arceus so much are those who mainly play Pokemon for online PvP. For players like me who just want a good singleplay experience this pretty much as good as it can probably get for a Pokemon title. If you want Pokemon + hardcore challenge, then rom hacks are what you go with since Gamefreak will never do that. But for what it's worth, Arceus is the most challenging mainline Pokemon game I've played.

lightbane

Arcane
he game is on track to become the best selling pokemon title.Everybody is loving it.Except the people who actually like Pokemon's core mechanics and hate the dumbed down combat and laughably bad "action" additions.

Well, it didn't look particularly impressive to me, with the Dark Souls-esque rolling that makes you invincible against all attacks, even against energy shockwaves and such that shouldn't work with (it would be okay if you could jump these instead). Bosses requiring that you spam throwing projectiles at them, then battle normally, then keep go back to the first step over again also looked silly.

Perhaps I'm getting too old for modern games?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've never been interested in Pokemon except for a very brief stint when I was like 8 and even then I thought the video games are repetitive and pretty pointless. I came across Arceus and thought to myself "wow, has Pokemon really sunk so low?". I'm so taken aback that I decided to post in this thread to express that. How does Arceus have the worst of MMO design and nothing else? It has degenerated to WoW's pet battles without the other stuff in it.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
After watching a bit of Arceus gameplay it occurred to me that the next iteration might be a decent game. Gamefreak needs to improve the UI, the atmosphere (graphics, wild pokemon behaviors, sound design and even voice acting - the poor sound design is part of what makes the game feel lifeless), bring back the classic tropes (fierce rivalry with arrogant prick, major subplot involving comically inept gangsters), and not fag up the creature design or get autismal with breeding and combat mechanics, and I would strongly consider it. I could also wish for a basic skill/feat system for the MC- the series has never, afaik, shown an interest in this, but the introduction of sneaking, dodging, and aimed throwing creates an opportunity - a slightly more in-depth crafting system, and couple other things that aren't likely to happen. Anyone else feel similarly?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom