Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter POLL: Recent Isometric RPG Hivemind Sentiment Index

Is your general sentiment towards the following games negative or positive?

• Total voters

roshan

Arcane
So, this thread is to use the "sentiment" methodology to check the Hivemind's attitude to various recent releases. Quoting myself from the POE sentiment index thread:

OK, so like with many other recent RPGs, we see a divergence between forum posts and ratings given on polls when it comes to reactions to a game. I mean POE is still rated 8/10 by the Codex, but when we read posts, it seems that negative sentiments dominate. This has been the case for a lot of recent RPGs. Sometimes the reverse is true, we see RPGs getting low ratings or very little attention, but in threads, a positive outlook is predominant.

So this is just to try a different way to gauge the hivemind. Is your sentiment towards POE negative or positive? This isn't about how you would rank the game, but rather your "feels" towards the game. For example you might be of the opinion that the game is a 7/10 but still feel generally disappointed or unsatisfied by it.

However, one failure of that poll was there was no basis of comparison for the results. So I've decided to expand the poll to include most recent releases, so that we can compare the Codex attitudes to various games. Please avoid voting for games you have not actually played. Limiting this to the ten "major" isometric releases due to limits on poll options. You can vote for Pillars of Eternity in the original thread:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...iment-towards-poe-negative-or-positive.98693/

roshan

Arcane
Looks like the various games are getting some very divergent results.

imweasel

We need more votes to come to an accurate conclusion, but some of the results are already surprising me. I was expecting more positive votes for some of the games.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Just making the obligatory post that PoE is not isometric. Its one of the things about it which I found underwhelming.

roshan

Arcane
Just making the obligatory post that PoE is not isometric. Its one of the things about it which I found underwhelming.

Yeah, the weird viewing angle, the running around in combat, the glowy, overdone and indistinct spell effects, the ANIMESHUNS, the lack of solid and elegant mechanics such as rounds or D20, and on top of that the general buggyness of the whole thing really conspired to turn the combat into a clusterfuck stew. It's like they didn't have the aptitude or basic common sense to get even a single element right. Each and every possible ingredient for clusterfuckyness somehow intentionally made it into the game.

Ramireza

Savant
The PoE hate here gets weirder and weirder.

Its highly rated, its sells well and its a great game, loved and played by many RPG Fans. Some retards here will not change this.

From my point of view its the best "new age" Retro RPG, as good as BG2, Fallout 2 and Planescape Tormen and much better then overrated shit like BG1, Arcanum or Fallout 1.

You dont like PoE? Ok, then just ignore it.

And please accept that Tastes are different.

Last edited:

Ramireza

Savant
Damn, better start liking Oblivion, then.

I am pretty sure that some peeps here like it. But they didnt tell anyone because its not cool to admit that. Its of course much cooler to love anything that runs in 320x200 pixels in 16 colours that tells their childish story through the manual, written by the guy that did the coding, the music and the gfx.

Damn Hipsters.

Lios

Cipher
From my point of view its the best "new age" Retro RPG, as good as BG2, Fallout 2 and Planescape Tormen

here have some pebbles, construct palaces and play

and much better then overrated shit like Arcanum or Fallout 1.

here have some crayons, draw us stuff - "oh my god, they are capable of everything after all, ain't they?"

Ninjerk

Arcane
Its of course much cooler to love anything that runs in 320x200 pixels in 16 colours that tells their childish story through the manual, written by the guy that did the coding, the music and the gfx.

Strawmanning faggot detected

Johannes

Arcane
The PoE hate here gets weirder and weirder.

Its highly rated, its sells well and its a great game, loved and played by many RPG Fans. Some retards here will not change this.

From my point of view its the best "new age" Retro RPG, as good as BG2, Fallout 2 and Planescape Tormen and much better then overrated shit like BG1, Arcanum or Fallout 1.

You dont like PoE? Ok, then just ignore it.

And please accept that Tastes are different.
Look at Roxor's, Sensuki's, Felipe's, etc. well-presented criticisms of the combat. Are they wrong?

Then look at the different threads complaining about the mishandling of the story's themes. Are they wrong?

You don't like honest discussion about games? Ok, then just ignore it.

Mustawd

We need more votes to come to an accurate conclusion, but some of the results are already surprising me. I was expecting more positive votes for some of the games.

The votes on Expeditions: Conquistador are very surprising.

pippin

I though more people disliked DOS. I loved Wasteland 2, even with its problems. Good to know most people love Dragonfall as well.
Personally I think all those games are good and we should be thankful great games are being done in this day an age. A couple of years before we didn't even had options. But edgy people need something to be edgy about, so anything goes I guess.

rado907

Savant
D:OS became very dull a few hours into the game, once the novelty wore off.
Wasteland 2 became a horrible dungeon crawl after the first 20 or so hours.
Shadowrun Dragonfall was excellent, though.
PoE was good, just not as good as the old IE titles, and marred by silly design decisions.

The thing is, Dragonfall benefited from its developers' having learned from their mistakes. IMO if DOS, PoE, and WL2 have sequels, those sequels may be excellent.

I also liked Banner Saga, despite its faults.

roshan

Arcane
Some preliminary results:

TOP IN POSITIVITY

DDC 90.4%
DOS 74.1%
POE 48.5%
EC 48.5%
SR 46.7%
BG 45.9%
LOX 44.9%
W2 42.3%
BS 32.1%
DS 14.3%
BG2 5.3%

TOP IN NEGATIVITY

BG2 63.2%
DS 40.8%
POE 28.8%
BS 28.6%
SR 21.1%
BG 19.7%
LOX 16.3%
W2 15.4%
DOS 7.1%
EC 4.5%
DDC 3.6%

imweasel

ATM the Praise-to-Criticism Ratio of PoE is 1.7:1, which is substantially lower than in other games like Dragonfall Director's Cut (20:1), Divinity: Original Sin (9.9:1) or even Wasteland 2 (2.3:1). Only Blackguards 2 and The Banner Saga have lower ratios.

Not only does it debunk the claim that "the Codex hates everything", but it helps to explain PoE's rather high edginess level. Many Codexers do like the game but it also has a lot of haters and detractors.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom