Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline [Poll] Steam vs GOG. Which one do you prefer?

Steam vs GOG. Which one do you prefer?

• Steam

• GOG

Results are only viewable after voting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It should be pointed out that the DRM aspect of Steam is entirely optional and left to the developer's or publisher's discretion. Even if Steamworks is used with a game it's not required that the Steamworks DRM for executables be implemented, only that if the publisher wants to make said game work without the Steam client, some or all of the Steamworks features will be disabled.
Yep. I have several games on Steam that I can just copypaste to another PC and they run, no problem.

Devs who implement the optional DRM are FAGGOTS.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
GOG. Installing games on multiple devices is more streamlined with their platform. It also has a better refund policy. Despite that I think GOG does suffer from an identity crisis atm. I was never under any illusions that Good Old Games was something that would last forever. There are, after all, a finite limit to them. And some are just hard/impossible to get depending on who owns the IPs.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I prefer epic because it gives me free games.
Gog gives free games rarely.
I don't remember Steam because I try to avoid being raped by Steam by launching it and then watching how Steam reinstalls itself to get new version with more problems.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
I used to like GOG over Steam, but my mind changed as the former began to become... Weird and lose functionality, while Steam got better (to some degree). The final straw was that one game that I liked bought for GOG some years ago, Dropsy, got a DLC free update for Steam a month ago or so... But nothing for the GOG version so far. There's an Excel list of all of the stuff that is missing in GOG available in Steam.

That is probably this kind of list.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not a choice for me. My gaming computer has no internet access, so it's either offline installer or torrenting. I'd like to have an alternative to GOG, but right now there isn't one.
soturi-maasai-heimosta-kannettavan-tietokoneen-avulla-kenia-afrikka.jpg

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Use both, but would prefer to get the game from GoG if possible due to the availability of offline installers.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
GoG.

Not your installer, not your game. Steam's got a better selection of games, and it handles mods and updates well, but it's still the video game version of Red Box. You ain't owning, you rentin'.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
GoG.

Not your installer, not your game. Steam's got a better selection of games, and it handles mods and updates well, but it's still the video game version of Red Box. You ain't owning, you rentin'.

What I do is get a game from GOG that is also on Steam then use Steam CMD to get all the workshop mods I need for that game.

login anonymous
workshop_download_item <game number> <workshop item number>

Move all the files into the proper folders and voila you have all the mods you want.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
GOG for non-DRM policy (I know it's spotty, but haven't failed me since and buying a game I don't have to doublecheck for additional drms and third party licences) and downloadable offline installers. I also like the new Galaxy app that organises all my games from different stores in one collection.

Having said that, I still have around 200 games on Steam, mostly indies that didn't manage to get through GOG gatekeeping and ones that will likely never be released on a non-DRM site due to shitty publishers.

Azdul

Magister
GoG - because they make at least minimal effort to make sure that the game works. Steam just tells people to refund the shit that is broken.

I would use Steam much more if there was an option to not recommend any game with Denuvo or Uplay.

I often need to dig deep to find out that publisher was too lazy to remove DRM years after release - and that's why they're not selling it on GoG / Itch.io / Zoom. When publisher DRM infrastructure finally shuts down / craps out - game just gets removed from Steam store - and customers are left with non-refundable, non-working copy. I'm fine with Valve DRM - but publisher DRM on top of that is too much for me.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Gog have been shit for a while now. They barely even fix their releases anymore, which was the entire point of the thing.

GoG is still my favorite, though Steam has been working its way back to me now that I am full time Linux. Running things in Proton has been helpful. My collection is still overwhelmingly GoG. Gedonia is the only game I've bought on Steam since around 2012 I think.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
GOG. Installing games on multiple devices is more streamlined with their platform. It also has a better refund policy. Despite that I think GOG does suffer from an identity crisis atm. I was never under any illusions that Good Old Games was something that would last forever. There are, after all, a finite limit to them. And some are just hard/impossible to get depending on who owns the IPs.

As a general rule - if the owner is tojo, no fucking chance. They're even more hardcore about DRM than western corporations. This is why GoG can't have nice things like Condemned or Alien: Isolation.

Radiane

Cipher
I do prefer gog, but I also do feel quite a bit silly for having spent God knows how many hundreds of bucks on gog and steam till now, when many games had been free a couple of years ago, when gog and steam didn´t have those games in their libraries..... sigh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom