Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
I figured I would throw together a review of this game since I just concluded my third playthrough and my appraisal of the game differs wildly from the mainstream.

Stability: Firstly the game runs perfectly fine on modern hardware with only occasional slowdown mostly on the inventory screen. The game as of the 1.4 patch is bug free and I've experienced about 10 crashes maximum in my 120 hours or so across 3 playthroughs. Crashes typically occur when you reload too often in too short of a timeframe (like 4 or 5 times in 5 mins), to mitigate this just allow yourself to die and allow the death cutscene to play, reloading from the main menu doesn't seem to crash the game. The delete system32 bug doesn't exist with patch 1.4 either, I've uninstalled the game twice to test it.

Level/map design: The maps are gigantic and will probably be overwhelming for most people on a first time playthrough especially since there is a bit of backtracking and on first playthrough you don't know the optimal paths to take to mitigate backtracking. The scale adds a lot to the game though in that there always seems to be something new to discover, on the other hand most of the areas of the game have absolutely nothing going on in terms of story and reward your thorough exploration of the various dungeon levels solely with equipment much of which may even be outclassed by stuff you've already acquired.

Encounter design: The game is generally pretty easy, if you know which tactics to apply or are even remotely familiar with the 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons ruleset and construct a competent party you'll only have trouble with a handful of the battles in this game. You can successfully employ the same handful of tactics to all encounters in this game and come away nearly unscathed. This is because the game (understandably from a lore perspective) frequently gives you extremely powerful items. Unless you miss all of the extremely powerful equipment the game will be a cakewalk 95% of the time.

User interface: The ui is very good, you can easily find all of the information you want and it's all explained clearly. Your spells and equipment are easily accessed even during combat and the combat text (once show dice rolls are enabled anyway) does a good job of telling you exactly whats going on during battle.

Combat: I think the combat in this game is great, we don't get many turn-based games and this one has faithfully adapted the 3rd edition ruleset. My only gripes about the combat systems are that you cannot select which feats you want as they're auto-assigned and the list of spells available is pretty short. The game is so easy though that the rather meagre list of spells available won't hinder you in any event. People complain about the time limit to make your moves and I would rather that be an option rather than the mandatory way to play the game but I actually enjoyed the limitation because it added tension to the game.

Presentation: This is of course completely subjective but I think the game looked beautiful, especially the cutscenes, because the colour contrast is very sharp (outside of the dungeons anyway). The soundtrack was great and everything definitely matched the Dungeons and Dragons aesthetic.

If the game were more far more difficult I'd give it a 10/10, as it stands I'd give it an 8/10.

From Wikipedia:

"The game received lackluster reviews and was plagued with bugs. One major bug would cause a player's system files to uninstall when the game was removed.[15] Other bugs included problems with installation, saving game files, graphics, and gameplay.[2] Chris Chan of the New Straits Times complained that most of the game is spent "[engaged] with a lot of mindless battles and health and spell recuperation exercises".[1] Mark Meadows of The Wisconsin State Journal called the game "a half-finished adaptation of D&D's new 3rd Edition rules that was rushed out the door despite being over a year late".[2] GameSpy gave a negative review to the game.[16] Later patches fixed some of the stability issues.[1] Branislav Babovic of mania.com commented: "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor could simply be defined as a disk full of bugs, striving to be a slow Diablo based on AD&D third edition rules".[17] Johnny Wilson for Dragon commented: "I like the way the new edition of the D&D rules have been integrated into the game [...] I'm thrilled with the emphasis on drow and undead, the villains we love to hate".[18] "

The bolded, if true, oof...

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
From Wikipedia:

"The game received lackluster reviews and was plagued with bugs. One major bug would cause a player's system files to uninstall when the game was removed.[15] Other bugs included problems with installation, saving game files, graphics, and gameplay.[2] Chris Chan of the New Straits Times complained that most of the game is spent "[engaged] with a lot of mindless battles and health and spell recuperation exercises".[1] Mark Meadows of The Wisconsin State Journal called the game "a half-finished adaptation of D&D's new 3rd Edition rules that was rushed out the door despite being over a year late".[2] GameSpy gave a negative review to the game.[16] Later patches fixed some of the stability issues.[1] Branislav Babovic of mania.com commented: "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor could simply be defined as a disk full of bugs, striving to be a slow Diablo based on AD&D third edition rules".[17] Johnny Wilson for Dragon commented: "I like the way the new edition of the D&D rules have been integrated into the game [...] I'm thrilled with the emphasis on drow and undead, the villains we love to hate".[18] "

The bolded, if true, oof...
No longer relevant with the 1.4 patch

Glop_dweller

Prophet
The thief PC cannot stray from the party... like eight feet away and the game complains; WTH!?

The zombies were plausible at first; sprinters after the patch. :(

Otherwise it's a beautiful looking game.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
The thief PC cannot stray from the party... like eight feet away and the game complains; WTH!?
You've got like 20 ft of leeway but yeah it is irritating that they didn't allow your party to separate like 50 ft or so.

DemonKing

Arcane
If the game were more far more difficult I'd give it a 10/10, as it stands I'd give it an 8/10.
Huh? The game was literally miles of identical tunnels filled with repetitive encounters. You have no control over your character development and unmodded/unpatched the combat is slow to the point of tedium.

It's deeply flawed and nowhere near an 8/10 experience let alone 10/10...

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
"The game was literally miles of identical tunnels filled with repetitive encounters."
A criticism which can leveled against many wildly successful dungeon crawlers.
"You have no control over your character development"
Just like all of the infinity engine games.
"unmodded/unpatched the combat is slow to the point of tedium."
For you maybe

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
"The game was literally miles of identical tunnels filled with repetitive encounters."
It's also one of the few Dungeon Crawlers where the designers seemed to actually care about the design of the dungeon beyond putting in walls and monsters. Even early on in the game, you notice that monsters have divided up areas and put up defenses to keep the other monsters at bay, there's that trail of coins that leads to the ambush, and so on. Kind of a shame it's release was so botched.

BruceVC

Magister
I figured I would throw together a review of this game since I just concluded my third playthrough and my appraisal of the game differs wildly from the mainstream.

Stability: Firstly the game runs perfectly fine on modern hardware with only occasional slowdown mostly on the inventory screen. The game as of the 1.4 patch is bug free and I've experienced about 10 crashes maximum in my 120 hours or so across 3 playthroughs. Crashes typically occur when you reload too often in too short of a timeframe (like 4 or 5 times in 5 mins), to mitigate this just allow yourself to die and allow the death cutscene to play, reloading from the main menu doesn't seem to crash the game. The delete system32 bug doesn't exist with patch 1.4 either, I've uninstalled the game twice to test it.

Level/map design: The maps are gigantic and will probably be overwhelming for most people on a first time playthrough especially since there is a bit of backtracking and on first playthrough you don't know the optimal paths to take to mitigate backtracking. The scale adds a lot to the game though in that there always seems to be something new to discover, on the other hand most of the areas of the game have absolutely nothing going on in terms of story and reward your thorough exploration of the various dungeon levels solely with equipment much of which may even be outclassed by stuff you've already acquired.

Encounter design: The game is generally pretty easy, if you know which tactics to apply or are even remotely familiar with the 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons ruleset and construct a competent party you'll only have trouble with a handful of the battles in this game. You can successfully employ the same handful of tactics to all encounters in this game and come away nearly unscathed. This is because the game (understandably from a lore perspective) frequently gives you extremely powerful items. Unless you miss all of the extremely powerful equipment the game will be a cakewalk 95% of the time.

User interface: The ui is very good, you can easily find all of the information you want and it's all explained clearly. Your spells and equipment are easily accessed even during combat and the combat text (once show dice rolls are enabled anyway) does a good job of telling you exactly whats going on during battle.

Combat: I think the combat in this game is great, we don't get many turn-based games and this one has faithfully adapted the 3rd edition ruleset. My only gripes about the combat systems are that you cannot select which feats you want as they're auto-assigned and the list of spells available is pretty short. The game is so easy though that the rather meagre list of spells available won't hinder you in any event. People complain about the time limit to make your moves and I would rather that be an option rather than the mandatory way to play the game but I actually enjoyed the limitation because it added tension to the game.

Presentation: This is of course completely subjective but I think the game looked beautiful, especially the cutscenes, because the colour contrast is very sharp (outside of the dungeons anyway). The soundtrack was great and everything definitely matched the Dungeons and Dragons aesthetic.

Thanks for the review and detailed feedback, it sounds like a worthwhile game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also don't know why this game gets so much hate. I think storyfags hate this game

Gargaune

Magister
No longer relevant with the 1.4 patch
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor changelog:

1.4:
- removed automatic /System32/ deletion on uninstall due to player feedback;
1.3:
- reduced lockpick DC for level 1 corner chest from 19 to 18;
1.2:
- casting Magic Missile now correctly opens the CD-ROM tray;
1.1:
- fixed bug that occasionally prevented uninstaller from deleting /System32/;
1.0:
- initial release

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
It's also one of the few Dungeon Crawlers where the designers seemed to actually care about the design of the dungeon beyond putting in walls and monsters. Even early on in the game, you notice that monsters have divided up areas and put up defenses to keep the other monsters at bay, there's that trail of coins that leads to the ambush, and so on. Kind of a shame it's release was so botched.
Yeah they put a lot of effort into a lot of little things like that. I love all the little tidbits of story you get about ancient Myth Drannor throughout the dungeon.
I also don't know why this game gets so much hate. I think storyfags hate this game
No doubt, if it were just bugs the negative reviews would've ended decades ago when the 1.4 patch dropped. People fundamentally dislike this game because it's combat focused. Yes some of the turns take a while because you're facing a horde of slow enemies but if you don't have ADD you can either relax or go afk for 10-20 seconds and come back. As I said in my review my only gripe with the game is the lack of difficulty, most of the game is way too easy. Aside from the lack of difficulty its a perfect game imo.

I am sorry, but if a bunch of developers release a game that sometimes wipes your hard drive, I don't trust them to make something good.

Beans00

Augur
I remember not liking it. I haven't played it since the early 2000's. IIRC I made it to a map called the deep halls, which was the third or forth map of the game. The maps were massive so it was probably in the range of 15-20 hours of gameplay. The game was extremely slow and boring(and extremely repetitive), it was probably 6-8x slower than TOEE for comparison.

PorkyThePaladin I can confirm the uninstall bug. We had an early version of the game so it did kill either my brother or sisters computer when one of them uninstalled the game(can't remember which). My dad was not happy especially since we were all running windows ME edition at the time and he was constantly doing tech support lol :).

My dad liked the game, but he liked pretty much any dungeon crawler so it was right up his alley.

DemonKing

Arcane
In the IE games you could put points in weapon proficiencies, allocate thief skills, make spell selections, dual class if you wanted and even pick a kit or feats in later iterations. Even in PST you had a few choices to make.

By comparison PORII had very few options. Feat acquisition was automatic for instance.

Ladonna

Arcane
I have gotten pretty far in it a couple of times, but both times lost interest when something better came along.
It isn't the worst game I have played, by a long shot, and I can see certain types of players really liking it, but I didn't see how it made a good sequel to the original PoR, a game that was all about adventuring across different areas, taking commissions for the city council, political intrigue with Zhentil Keep, the Bosses lackeys, Cadorna and so on (as much as the primitive engine allowed). Suddenly it has become a dungeon crawl...

Maybe one day...

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
In the IE games you could put points in weapon proficiencies, allocate thief skills, make spell selections, dual class if you wanted and even pick a kit or feats in later iterations. Even in PST you had a few choices to make.

By comparison PORII had very few options. Feat acquisition was automatic for instance.
Most weapons in the IE games are garbage and the thief skillpoint allocation may as well be automatic as you're only ever going to use lockpick and disarm traps.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
I remember not liking it. I haven't played it since the early 2000's. IIRC I made it to a map called the deep halls, which was the third or forth map of the game. The maps were massive so it was probably in the range of 15-20 hours of gameplay. The game was extremely slow and boring(and extremely repetitive), it was probably 6-8x slower than TOEE for comparison.

PorkyThePaladin I can confirm the uninstall bug. We had an early version of the game so it did kill either my brother or sisters computer when one of them uninstalled the game(can't remember which). My dad was not happy especially since we were all running windows ME edition at the time and he was constantly doing tech support lol :).

My dad liked the game, but he liked pretty much any dungeon crawler so it was right up his alley.
Did you never turn on the run option?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I loved the heck out of that game, never finished it, though.

1. ...cannot select feats... Dammit, I've forgotten that. Then again, I remember how this was one of the few games where it really showed when you acquired a good two-handed and 'proced' the Greater Cleave, resulting in several dead enemies in one hit.

2. It's a shame that people are generally unaware of how great the riddles and adventuring can sometimes be in this game. Bits of evidence or clues sometimes strewn across several dungeon floors for you to piece together or figure out the accesses to new areas, secrets, or good treasures. Also, yeah, the enemy zones... or the semi-empty areas alternating with places of importance just in the right amount to get that, "Aaah, something is going on here, but what?" feeling.

3. Combat easy? I played this a loooong time ago, but don't recall much of that. Should I bow down to your mastery? What I remember was pretty challenging at times. Zombies weren't something to trifle with, but hard-hitting vagons, skeleton warriors were real warriors (coming in varieties), Shades usually decimated my party before I understood how to deal with them, etc. Although, some encounters were easy too (see item one and think of goblins or lesser skeleton "shamblers").

4. For anyone who's decided to play this: To fix the character occlusion bug (if I remember correctly, the characters sometimes blink),

Turn off Directdraw acceleration in dxdiag
or
Run included "Directx.cpl" and turn of Hardware acceleratio
PS: don't forget to turn it on after you finish playing for you will not be able to run any
modern games if u forget that :]

Directx CPL
https://microsoft-directx-control-panel.en.lo4d.com/windows

PoR:RoMD Manual
https://ufile.io/9as9kcu5

EDIT: I reinstalled with the old saves. Yep, I must admit the combat in general isn't very hard. Poor memory in that regard. There are some challenging fights with nasty debuffs to be had.

Last edited:

CreativeStorm

Creative Storm Entertainment
Developer
Shit, I loved/hated this game back in the day. I suppose it's where I cut my teeth on D&D rules. This damned game was unforgiving. I remember having to trek back entire maps to open things up, the combat order being agonizing slow (sixteen zombies move each turn), keys needed for doors to move on, and more joy. This fucking abomination consumed a month or more of my life. I have a hazy recollection of eventually escaping the dungeon and coming outside and advancing through temples and ruins - and still soft-locking somewhere along the way where I could no longer advance the main plot. To this day, I'm still not sure what I did wrong. It was a nice introduction to the rules of D&D (I guess), while harnessing characters with absolutely no character whatsoever, and a game that I doubt was play-tested, let alone beta-tested. I had such hopes for this game when I played for the first 15 hours, but faith started to erode shortly after.

Reinhardt

Arcane
great game which never deleted my windows. because at that time i usually just deleted folders instead of uninstalling. big brian moment. :dance:

best part was dungeons. compared to straight intestines of ie games exploring huge underground areas was mindblowing.

CreativeStorm

Creative Storm Entertainment
Developer
Solasta would be my closest comparable to this...thing (separated by 25 years, I guess).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Most weapons in the IE games are garbage and the thief skillpoint allocation may as well be automatic as you're only ever going to use lockpick and disarm traps.

Huh? All the thief skills are useful. Or do you play with the Party AI on?

Last edited:

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Combat easy? I played this a loooong time ago, but don't recall much of that. Should I bow down to your mastery? What I remember was pretty challenging at times. Zombies weren't something to trifle with, but hard-hitting vagons, skeleton warriors were real warriors (coming in varieties), Shades usually decimated my party before I understood how to deal with them, etc. Although, some encounters were easy too (see item one and think of goblins or lesser skeleton "shamblers").
Depends upon party composition, with a cleric undead are a joke.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom