Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal 2 soon

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Valve updated portal with some weird radio stuff yesterday that I didn't payed much attention to. Turns out the hype machine is on max
-Portal gets surprise update March 1st
-People see new mystery achievement
-People play and see the radio in the beginning room now has a green light
-Carry it around and notice it makes strange broadcast interference noises in certain places
-Locate and place all 26 of these mystery radios for achievement
-Smart people yank .wav files out of game content folders and run them through SSTV programs http://i49.tinypic.com/s4b7zn.jpg
-Produces 22 cryptic image files in a numbered sequence, 4 morse code
-Somebody runs the number string through an md5 hash translator and gets a landline number
-Internet traces it to Kirkland, WA (near Valve HQ)
-People find out its not a phone/fax line but a data line hosting a BBS and telnet it
-Use a clue from one of the files to figure out the BBS user/password login info [backup/backup]
-End up with a bunch of weird ASCII artwork
from here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170872

These guys know how to market their stuff.

Angthoron

Arcane
When will Valve surprise us with Episode 3? Not that anyone cares, but still.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Angthoron said:

Maybe E3, for a Fall release? Valve tends to announce their stuff there, and at the moment they don't have any announced projects, so it stands to reason that they're working on SOMETHING.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
ScottishMartialArts said:
Angthoron said:

Maybe E3, for a Fall release? Valve tends to announce their stuff there, and at the moment they don't have any announced projects, so it stands to reason that they're working on SOMETHING.

Actually the lardass will be awarded the pioneering shit or whatever award on march the 13th at gdc and everyone expects him to announce portal 2 then. Also he clearly said that there won't be hl e3 in 2010

ever

Scholar
While the game is interesting its interesting in the "lemmings" sort of way.

Its cool and a lot of people like it but its not the next x-com, its not the next secret weapons of the luftwaffe, and its not the next quake.

Mattresses

Scholar
the tutorial was fun, I guess I look forward to playing the actual game later this year?

Hory

Erudite
Any marketing strategy which requires some thought on behalf of the audience AND involves BBS is fine by me.

Joghurt

Augur
Fuck Portal 2. I want to hear some news about episode 3 goddamit. I actually think that Valve is doing a major overhaul to Half Life series because it is not so popular on consoles. L4D and Portal are more popular on consoles that HL2 is so if I would be Valve I would just make HL3 not a stupid episode 3 that way I would make a lot more money.

entertainer said:
why would anyone want episode 3 of that boring shooter
I have never understood the hype around HL2, typical shooting mechanics, no atmosphere but wow! It has dialogue! This is revolutionary!

MapMan

Arcane
I will be really suprised if we'll see episode 3. Episode 2 was a success because it wasnt that bad and well, it shipped in orangebox with 2 other games. Right now, valve doesnt have any other products they could release with ep3. The engine has aged and it I doubt ep3 would sell well on its own.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Luzur said:
entertainer said:
why would anyone want episode 3 of that boring shooter

because i want to finish the damn game, thats why.

Same here. I don't really care about it, but now that I've stepped into the shitter, I might just go all the way in.

TripJack

Hedonist
Droog White Smile said:
HL2 was so much dumbed down when compared to HL1.

That's funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom