Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portraits for PoE Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Thanks bros, two moar.

female_orlan_d1_wild_lg.png
female_orlan_d1_wild_sm.png

male_aumaua_d1_dread_lg.png
male_aumaua_d1_dread_sm.png

You should make patreon or something like that. Brofists alone can't pay for such awesomnes.
Also i will hit Avellone on twitter maybe Obsidian will get you some reasonable deal to get those into game considering they are sooo awesome !

Keep them coming !

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jaceface
I'll send you $100 as a thank-you for those portraits if you have a way to pay. Would you like Codex Patron status, perhaps?

Jaceface

Holy shit, thanks for all the support codex!

You should make patreon or something like that. Brofists alone can't pay for such awesomnes.
Also i will hit Avellone on twitter maybe Obsidian will get you some reasonable deal to get those into game considering they are sooo awesome !

Keep them coming !

Thanks! If MCA saw this, that would be incredibly stupefyingly awesome. Patreon's something I've been thinking about, but seeing as to how there's money involved then, I should probably contact obsidian first to see if they're cool with it.

Jaceface
I'll send you $100 as a thank-you for those portraits if you have a way to pay. Would you like Codex Patron status, perhaps?

You .... want to give me money AND patron status? Hell yeah I'll take it! Honestly I could use all the help I can get. I'm at the beginning of my freelance career and it's been tough times, I would be forever grateful if you could do that. :bounce:

paypal's linked to jasondoesart@gmail.com - you sir, are awesome.

Jaceface

just out of curiosity, how long does it take for you on average to create a portrait, Jaceface ?

I'd estimate around 9-10 hours, not including breaks? The difference can be extreme, the orlan and the horned death godlike only took about 5-6 hours, while the frog helm one took around 18 hours total because I went OCD and redrew the helm shape a bunch of times to get it to look convincing and consistent with the in-game stuff. Really should time it the next time I draw, my estimates could be way off.

Old Hans

Arcane
It's a sad state of affairs when the poor old mohawk dwarf troll slayer gets cast aside and no one loves him and hes so saaaddd

Jaceface

Goddamn - I'm floored. No one has ever given me money outside commissions. I would fist you harder if I could.:salute:

Seriously, thanks a lot. If you want a custom portrait, just say the word as it's the least I can do. If not, I'll go on working on the portrait pack with less financial stress now, thanks to you.

Guess it's time to hit the stores for some booze and a pair of new pants.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh okay, didn't realize you could buy it on someone's behalf through the standard interface.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Seriously, thanks a lot. If you want a custom portrait, just say the word as it's the least I can do. If not, I'll go on working on the portrait pack with less financial stress now, thanks to you.

You should paint a Fire Godlike that's subtly similar to the Codex troll. Since your portraits are fantastic, everyone will use it, and will unknowingly be Touched By The Codex everywhere their party goes. :troll:

In general though, just keep making them. The more variety there is, the better. The Godlike models are probably the most important since Obsidian provides only one per type/gender that looks completely different from the three available face models, as I think you know since that's obviously been one of your priorities.

Human males are another thing you might focus on, because most of them are based on actual backer likenesses thanks to high-dollar backer rewards, so they all look like dorks for obvious reasons.

hell bovine

Arcane
Holy shit, thanks for all the support codex!

Keep them coming !

Thanks! If MCA saw this, that would be incredibly stupefyingly awesome. Patreon's something I've been thinking about, but seeing as to how there's money involved then, I should probably contact obsidian first to see if they're cool with it.
Your paintings are definitely on the professional level and, in my opinion, better than a lot of those offered in the game. As for Patreon, would it be possible for you to put in other work, in case of copyright issues?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
He's not selling the artwork. He's releasing it for free and then possibly accepting anonymous gifts from admirers with no prior collusion, no contracts verbal or written, and clearly no shenanigans involved.

Besides, they'd lose far, far than they'd make by pursuing any legal remedies after taking into account lawyers' fees and a few people like me (now with extra principles! they're new, they're fresh, they're highly situational!) opting not to spend thousands of dollars on their upcoming projects due to them being assholes.

Also, the existence of the portraits enhances the game's appeal and ultimate success, just as mods and so on will.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Jaceface awesome! That Orlan portrait is better than any of the ones I've seen in the game.
Do you base your portraits on photos?

Jaceface

You should paint a Fire Godlike that's subtly similar to the Codex troll. Since your portraits are fantastic, everyone will use it, and will unknowingly be Touched By The Codex

Right on. One codexian fire godlike coming soon.

would it be possible for you to put in other work, in case of copyright issues?

That's something I'm thinking about atm, the income would really help. I originally painted these for the lulz and my own party, wasn't expecting so much positive feedback. I should probably get in touch with Obsidian and see if they're okay with it before I do anything. Blaine is right about companies usually closing one eye to stuff like this, but better to err on the side of caution I think- especially if I'm going to be applying there in the future.

These are gorgeous. (Previous, godlike one too)

First time I've actually bothered to add custom portraits. :salute:

Thanks man.

Jaceface awesome! That Orlan portrait is better than any of the ones I've seen in the game.
Do you base your portraits on photos?

Thanks! If you mean paintovers or tracing, nope. I didn't like BG2's airbrushed-over-photo portrait style and I hope I'm going the opposite way with this. For the frog helm one I looked at photo references, this image in particular to make sure I was following it's design sensibilities, mainly the way it slopes like a tank's armor at the front for jousting. As for heads and faces, drawn enough from imagination that I just start with a simple shitty sketch and polish it to finish, GIFs below. If I'm having trouble with a particular nose or eye or dreadlocks, I'll look at pictures on google images.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't give a shit about adding custom portraits, but I must say you're a good painter. Well done.

Jaceface

As promised, a rather familiar fellow from the club of refined and prestigious gentlemen.
male_godlike_fire_b1_stumps_lg.png
male_godlike_fire_b1_stumps_sm.png

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom