Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post-Apocalyptic JRPGs and Renewed Enthusiasm

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I await when AI translates all these games and accurately since it seems such a chore for individuals. And they really try. I can forgive voice acting if you give me english subtitles (though, I can accept GOOD dubbing as the original voices in japanese are lost on me).

PapaPetro

By the way and not immediately relevant to the thread, but I just noticed yesterday that a new translation of the Sega Saturn version of Tactics Ogre was released! I've always wanted to properly play that version of the game, so I'm very excited about this, discovering Baroque and finding this translation made for a great day.
Did you try the PC remake?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Did you try the PC remake?

Yes! Although I haven't gotten far enough into it yet to form an opinion on whether or not I would prefer it to the PSP remake or the original. I bought it on Switch for myself and on Steam for my daughter, because it is basically my overall favorite game (or if not then very nearly so), but I haven't gotten the right mood for it yet and because I am the type who has to get one of every unique item and clear every area, do every path and recruit every NPC, I can't really play it seriously until that mood comes back.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Cool thread and superb mentions of some of my own 8-bit (style, gameplay falls short) favorites Crystalis, War of the dead, Megami tensei and Last apocalypse. The late 80s were scary times.

There are also other 8-bit games which feel similar like Guardian legend (pre-apocalyptic, but in a lonely game world) or Faxanadu (post-calamity) but aren't strictly post apoc in the nuclear war sense. Something like Sweet home is post apocalyptic in a microcosmic sense. In fact, due to the technical limitations, a lot of 8-bit era games can be interpreted as post-apoc if you stick to the visual story telling in game and not in the manual e.g. Zelda 1 and 2 certainly.

Hybrid front on the Megadrive isn't post-nuclear but it's post ion cannon orbital bombardment.

For my own 32-bit era contribution that hasn't been mentioned: Armored Core. Post-apoc anarchocapitalist world where humanity moved underground and corps scheme against and sabotage each other with the help of mecha pilots like the player.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I would say Xenogears fits, but Chrono Trigger doesn't. You do see the world end in Trigger, but the tone is always cartoony and positive. Gears on the other hand is about unraveling the cyclic apocalypses that wrack the setting and treats the subject matter accordingly.
That doesn't describe that area in Chrono Trigger at all. The mood is actually pretty depressing, and I thought they did a good job of setting a post-apoc atmosphere. CT doesn't qualify as a post-apoc RPG in general though.

Xenogears was decent, but it's sooooo fucking long. I didn't think it was ever going to end.

PapaPetro

I would say Xenogears fits, but Chrono Trigger doesn't. You do see the world end in Trigger, but the tone is always cartoony and positive. Gears on the other hand is about unraveling the cyclic apocalypses that wrack the setting and treats the subject matter accordingly.
That doesn't describe that area in Chrono Trigger at all. The mood is actually pretty depressing, and I thought they did a good job of setting a post-apoc atmosphere.
I always got this pessimistic optimism from that game; like where you're in the Apocalypse but you know you're gonna get through it somehow.
That bleak desolate future that Robo was from always stuck with me since I was a kid.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I think the point of the thread was to find more "adult" takes on post-apoc in a kind of modern setting, or at least where the post-apoc world is the majority of the game environment, but if you're including things like Chrono Trigger then also FF6 is worth mentioning (apocalypse occurs somewhere around the half way point), as are many entries in the Zelda series e.g. Ocarina of Time (same), Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild but the most dreary is the pre-apoc Majora's Mask

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the point of the thread was to find more "adult" takes on post-apoc in a kind of modern setting, or at least where the post-apoc world is the majority of the game environment, but if you're including things like Chrono Trigger then also FF6 is worth mentioning (apocalypse occurs somewhere around the half way point), as are many entries in the Zelda series e.g. Ocarina of Time (same), Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild but the most dreary is the pre-apoc Majora's Mask
It is true that my interest is mainly in the more adult takes on it, but I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from sharing any games that avoid the more disturbing aspects of such a setting. My own personal goal related to making this thread is to continue to build up a Post-Apocalyptic JRPG playlist that I have started in LaunchBox, one that includes games for every Japanese computer, console and handheld that I have emulators configured for, which is almost all of them up to about the sixth generation of consoles.

Thank you for your other post by the way, I didn't even consider Armored Core! I only ever played the first one and if I remember correctly it was actually just a demo on the original PlayStation back around the time Final Fantasy VII came out. It is a series I never looked much into but considering the post-apocalyptic setting, but I don't know if any of the games are RPGs? I always had the impression that they were sort of mecha action shooter games? The Hybrid Front looks like something I would absolutely adore, I'm definitely adding that one to my playlist!

Also I found a few others that seem to qualify below, with one exception being the first game which appears to be more of an adventure visual-novel type game, but it looked so interesting I wanted to include it so I'd remember it for later. The others are proper JRPGs and it seems that the 3rd, 4th and 5th games from the Fist of the North Star series were actual RPGs instead of fighting games, which is what I'd assumed all of them were, so that is pretty cool to discover.

38000 Kilo no Kokū (1989) (Sharp X68000)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/48394/38000-kilo-no-koku/

8904013-38000-kilo-no-koku-sharp-x68000-start-reading.jpg

8905208-38000-kilo-no-koku-sharp-x68000-right-clicking-brings-up-the-con.jpg

Hokuto no Ken 3: Shinseiki SĹŤzĹŤ Seiken Retsuden (1989) (NES)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/13415/hokuto-no-ken-3-shinseiki-sozo-seiken-retsuden/

4543120-hokuto-no-ken-3-shinseiki-sozo-seiken-retsuden-nes-random-battle.png

4542347-hokuto-no-ken-3-shinseiki-sozo-seiken-retsuden-nes-action-menu.png

1236970-hokuto-no-ken-3-shinseiki-sozo-seiken-retsuden-nes-boss-battle.png

Hokuto no Ken 4: Shichisei Haken Den: Hokuto Shinken no Kanata e (1991) (NES)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/13413/hokuto-no-ken-4-shichisei-haken-den-hokuto-shinken-no-kanata-e/

1234576-hokuto-no-ken-4-shichisei-haken-den-hokuto-shinken-no-kanata-e-n.png

10511-hokuto-no-ken-4-shichisei-haken-den-hokuto-shinken-no-kanata-e-n.png

1234342-hokuto-no-ken-4-shichisei-haken-den-hokuto-shinken-no-kanata-e-n.png

Hokuto no Ken 5: Tenmaryūseiden: Ai * Zesshō (1992) (SNES)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/13416/hokuto-no-ken-5-tenmaryuseiden-ai-zessho/

1235116-hokuto-no-ken-5-tenmaryuseiden-ai-zessho-snes-intro-julia-jumps-.png

1236430-hokuto-no-ken-5-tenmaryuseiden-ai-zessho-snes-random-battle.png

1236279-hokuto-no-ken-5-tenmaryuseiden-ai-zessho-snes-menu.png

Babel (1992) (TurboGrafx CD)
https://www.mobygames.com/game/16355/babel/

1903305-babel-turbografx-cd-zell-and-alice.png

1902220-babel-turbografx-cd-sefia-is-ready-to-confront-the-gun-wielding-.png

5008727-babel-turbografx-cd-nice-expressive-portraits.jpg

4763658-babel-turbografx-cd-army-district-in-the-capital-city-the-cities.jpg

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You know there is a entire post apocalyptic section in moby:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/genre:post-apocalyptic/

The new moby allow much more smoother searching now.
Hey, flyingjohn! Yea that is from where I took all of the images and how I found most of the games. Some like Metal Max I already knew, but it is immensely helpful resource for finding others. The search there isn't perfect, for instance narrowing down the criteria begins to cause some games to be omitted and I'm not sure why, but for what it is it is excellent. I'm still trying to track down some FM Towns games that I can't find anywhere online that are even missing from the Neo Kobe selection, so it makes me wonder if there are any games in this style that just don't exist on Western internet sites?

flyingjohn

Arcane

Hey, flyingjohn! Yea that is from where I took all of the images and how I found most of the games. Some like Metal Max I already knew, but it is immensely helpful resource for finding others. The search there isn't perfect, for instance narrowing down the criteria begins to cause some games to be omitted and I'm not sure why, but for what it is it is excellent. I'm still trying to track down some FM Towns games that I can't find anywhere online that are even missing from the Neo Kobe selection, so it makes me wonder if there are any games in this style that just don't exist on Western internet sites?
Give me a pm with the names and i will see what i can find.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm at work currently but I'll check when I get home what I went looking for and just couldn't manage to find, it wasn't more than 4 or 5 games I don't think. Thanks so much!

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
but I don't know if any of the games are RPGs
I'd consider Armored Core games ARPGs. Aside from a menu replacing an "in world" hub or town, why not?

I focused on RPG(ish) recommendations anyway, if I didn't I'd have definitely mentioned e.g. Metal Black (1991) or Biohazard Battle (1992).

Cool. I've played and enjoyed Panzer Dragoon (2) but it didn't come to mind. It's not an RPG but Panzer Dragoon Saga is.

Likewise for Nier: Automata, it's good too.

Hey come to think of it Busin Wizardry Alternative was post-calamity of some sort wasn't it?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You didn't think that as a kid. Back then God COULD do ANYTHING. Now, "Adult God" is so ladden with attributes, laws, metaphysics, etc. that He may as well be a Divine D&D Rulebook.
God never changed. He's still God and omnipotence + freewill means He can get us to know Him how He wills It. That's where kid logic trumps formalized adult logic: they make better wishes.
Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner, I intended to but then completely forgot. And given the actual definition of the word apocalyptic in the title of the thread, I don't consider these posts off-topic.

You mentioned free will, which is a notion that I am actually at odds with. All of material reality appears to me to be unfolding according to a script, or a program, a plan perhaps suggestive of order, and whether or not this plan is divine I cannot say nor even speculate about. By plan I suppose I mean the causing to come-into-being of an unknown cthonic force; an exteriorization of soul in other words, but this is a metaphysics of purpose and one in which abiogenesis plays the central supportive role, a tangential subject I'd have to detail in different circumstances.

A major part of my personal teleology is informed by considering reactionary phenomena as superimposed against the image of the unmoved-mover. There seems to me to be something antinomial in the simultaneous belief of an omnipotent God and of the freedom of the individual will; it is one of the views that Augustine held that I just cannot get onboard with. My idea of nature, of material reality, is a determinist one perhaps best suggested by Plato's universal causation principle.

To my mind there has only ever been one instance of will made manifest (similarly there is only one "moment" of undifferentiated, persistent time), that being the moment of creation. Everything that exists within material reality does so in such a manner that is subordinate to a predetermined and compulsory cycle of exfoliating from and extinguishing back into this singular expression of will. Taking a Hermetic perspective, the higher is reflected in the lower and vice versa, this hypostasis (in the Neoplatonic sense) is a corrupted reflection of the ontological raison d'etre and the modus operandi of the creator's will made manifest. Consequently all being is reactionary, the compulsory nature of which negates the notion of individual will.

This of course presupposes something of a gnostic idea about the creator, but as I mentioned earlier and with the mythologizing aside, the basic concept of a demiurge breathing our spirit into our bodies, or casting our souls into matter, is one with which I find myself in general agreement. The universe appears to me to be a kind of fallen world, brought into being by a fallen god that we worship in ignorance as the most high because we simply cannot conceive of anything greater. To use Valentinian language, the human heart is made in the image of this animate God. This animate God is omnipotent within its creation, but being animate implies change and it is my belief that the true eternal God is unchanging.

To change is to be subject to the aforementioned predetermined compulsion, in which the many elements of nature are forged in the crucible of being in order to bring into existence those material vessels into which spirit is contained, only to then succumb to corruption and release the spirit as the elements go back into an unformed or deformed state to then be reshaped again, to be repurposed. The true God, the true hypostasis is unchanging and is utterly inconceivable to us because we exist as an ephemeral amalgam of spirit attached to material components that are inherently corrupted, a constellation primarily of grotesquery with practically imperceptible fragments of the sublime and the beautiful. I know that the animate God, or YHWH said that the world and the things in it are good, but the fact that they change complicates the attribution.

PapaPetro

You didn't think that as a kid. Back then God COULD do ANYTHING. Now, "Adult God" is so ladden with attributes, laws, metaphysics, etc. that He may as well be a Divine D&D Rulebook.
God never changed. He's still God and omnipotence + freewill means He can get us to know Him how He wills It. That's where kid logic trumps formalized adult logic: they make better wishes.
Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner, I intended to but then completely forgot. And given the actual definition of the word apocalyptic in the title of the thread, I don't consider these posts off-topic.

You mentioned free will, which is a notion that I am actually at odds with. All of material reality appears to me to be unfolding according to a script, or a program, a plan perhaps suggestive of order, and whether or not this plan is divine I cannot say nor even speculate about. By plan I suppose I mean the causing to come-into-being of an unknown cthonic force; an exteriorization of soul in other words, but this is a metaphysics of purpose and one in which abiogenesis plays the central supportive role, a tangential subject I'd have to detail in different circumstances.

A major part of my personal teleology is informed by considering reactionary phenomena as superimposed against the image of the unmoved-mover. There seems to me to be something antinomial in the simultaneous belief of an omnipotent God and of the freedom of the individual will; it is one of the views that Augustine held that I just cannot get onboard with. My idea of nature, of material reality, is a determinist one perhaps best suggested by Plato's universal causation principle.

To my mind there has only ever been one instance of will made manifest (similarly there is only one "moment" of undifferentiated, persistent time), that being the moment of creation. Everything that exists within material reality does so in such a manner that is subordinate to a predetermined and compulsory cycle of exfoliating from and extinguishing back into this singular expression of will. Taking a Hermetic perspective, the higher is reflected in the lower and vice versa, this hypostasis (in the Neoplatonic sense) is a corrupted reflection of the ontological raison d'etre and the modus operandi of the creator's will made manifest. Consequently all being is reactionary, the compulsory nature of which negates the notion of individual will.

This of course presupposes something of a gnostic idea about the creator, but as I mentioned earlier and with the mythologizing aside, the basic concept of a demiurge breathing our spirit into our bodies, or casting our souls into matter, is one with which I find myself in general agreement. The universe appears to me to be a kind of fallen world, brought into being by a fallen god that we worship in ignorance as the most high because we simply cannot conceive of anything greater. To use Valentinian language, the human heart is made in the image of this animate God. This animate God is omnipotent within its creation, but being animate implies change and it is my belief that the true eternal God is unchanging.

To change is to be subject to the aforementioned predetermined compulsion, in which the many elements of nature are forged in the crucible of being in order to bring into existence those material vessels into which spirit is contained, only to then succumb to corruption and release the spirit as the elements go back into an unformed or deformed state to then be reshaped again, to be repurposed. The true God, the true hypostasis is unchanging and is utterly inconceivable to us because we exist as an ephemeral amalgam of spirit attached to material components that are inherently corrupted, a constellation primarily of grotesquery with practically imperceptible fragments of the sublime and the beautiful. I know that the animate God, or YHWH said that the world and the things in it are good, but the fact that they change complicates the attribution.
Not to be too pithy, but what would it take for you to reject your null hypothesis here vis-a-vis free will & determinism?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not to be too pithy, but what would it take for you to reject your null hypothesis here vis-a-vis free will & determinism?
I truly don't know; I imagine it would require a visionary revelation of a more substantial nature than that which rendered my perspective determinist in the first place. However I find it as difficult today to conceive of what that could involve as trying to anticipate the substance of my vision would have been prior to encountering it. It isn't just an unknown, it appears to be unknowable. But I am going to have to consider this more deeply in a quiet environment, it is an intriguing question you pose.

On a rationalist, reductionist basis, the two concepts are not necessarily incompatible if we define the terms and their opposites. If my ideas about the animate God are correct, then in fact neither are applicable in any meaningful sense because they relate only to the body and the mind which are constructs of nature, and not to the soul/spirit which in this mechanistic scenario is not the operative force. If I am wrong, if the triune God is the only God, the situation is radically different and I could consider Augustine's position on free will and predestination along with God's omnipotence to be valid.

PapaPetro

I truly don't know; I imagine it would require a visionary revelation of a more substantial nature than that which rendered my perspective determinist in the first place. However I find it as difficult today to conceive of what that could involve as trying to anticipate the substance of my vision would have been prior to encountering it. It isn't just an unknown, it appears to be unknowable. But I am going to have to consider this more deeply in a quiet environment, it is an intriguing question you pose.

On a rationalist, reductionist basis, the two concepts are not necessarily incompatible if we define the terms and their opposites. If my ideas about the animate God are correct, then in fact neither are applicable in any meaningful sense because they relate only to the body and the mind which are constructs of nature, and not to the soul/spirit which in this mechanistic scenario is not the operative force. If I am wrong, if the triune God is the only God, the situation is radically different and I could consider Augustine's position on free will and predestination along with God's omnipotence to be valid.
If we can abstract valid possible worlds, then our real choice matters. We can abstract the casual relations that can occur from one or more temporal paths: imagine an existence only seeing one path (which does not describe the human condition).

I believe moral weight behind Free Will is a burden and man has been looking to offload it onto God's Will or Ideology's or Technology's Wills. But that is the moral imperative: what to do with Free Will it you accept the premise?
The only logical solution is to become make choices that lead you to more Free Will tautologically. So it requires a leap of faith to get thar logical engine running but it's is true on a transcendental level (much like as a kid and accepting from the teacher why you should use basic Number Theory and Laws of Thought we take for granted without ever revisiting why we should've in the first place).

As the the null 0, I think you should have one in good faith to yourself. There should be a condition where someone/something/some idea can demonstrate Will enough to reject your worldview. Perhaps that basic preposition is in is the tiny leap sufficient to grow the vision?

Last edited by a moderator:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If we can abstract valid possible worlds, then our real choice matters. We can abstract the casual relations that can occur from one or more temporal paths: imagine an existence only seeing one path (which does not describe the human condition).

I believe moral weight behind Free Will is a burden and man has been looking to offload it onto God's Will or Ideology's or Technology's Wills. But that is the moral imperative: what to do with Free Will it you accept the premise?
The only logical solution is to become make choices that lead you to more Free Will tautologically. So it requires a leap of faith to get thar logical engine running but it's is true on a transcendental level (much like as a kid and accepting from the teacher why you should use basic Number Theory and Laws of Thought we take for granted without ever revisiting why we should've in the first place).

As the the null 0, I think you should have one in good faith to yourself. There should be a condition where someone/something/some idea can demonstrate Will enough to reject your worldview. Perhaps that basic preposition is in is the tiny leap sufficient to grow the vision?
The main reason why the question of free will I think has always remained a mystery is due to the necessity of faith regardless which conclusion is settled on. The moral question is one that I can assert with some confidence; I do consider the dualistic concept of right and wrong to be an intrinsic and self-evident aspect of nature and of the human condition, but only at the most fundamental binary level because the overwhelming majority of moral determinants are the products of civilization and culture. Every civilization goes through the same morphological cycles which begin and end according to the compulsory principle I described earlier, but the upper branches in codified law and the immediacy of the individual's felt moral convictions are circumstantial and highly variable. But I do accept that there are fundamental moral values that are pre-conscious, embedded in nature and are self-evident.

But this is an affair of matter, of the mind and the body, and if the heart is made in the image of the animate God then it is corrupted. We have to act according to the belief that we have free will in order to maintain civilization, otherwise it would revert to purely animalistic conditions where only the most absolute of moral values would reign supreme though it would certainly not appear so to the individual. But I think this is a kind of pretense, that our psycho-social condition is functioning on many different levels. As for the spiritual dimensions, morality is bound up with nature and can serve no other mode of being. It is why I do not think the eternal, uncreated and unchanging God has anything to do with morality, it is totally transcendent to anything confined to the natural or human domains.

Questions of original sin and the fall of man, these seem to me to be metaphors for how nature came into being and how we as conscious beings similarly come into and go out of it. In the Genesis story a sort of heaven is represented as the Garden, from which man is removed and cast out into material nature, with the entrance closed off by an angel wielding a flaming sword. This to me signifies that the only way to go back to God is to die, but not just the death of the body and mind, but rather to be purified by fire or in other words burned into nothing, totally disintegrated into non-being in the material sense. The animate God of this story for me is not the unchanging, uncreated God but a lesser thing all together, and it along with us and the rest of the material world are fallen things. The psychoactive fruit of the tree that awakens man to moral conscience and more generally conscious awareness itself, and the sin of consuming it seem to me to represent the second greatest mystery of ontology, the more personal question of why are we, as opposed to why is anything at all, here.

This is unanswerable in a collective sense, but whatever the reason it seems to me that nature is an expression of the only singular instance of will within which we are like drops of water in the sea, our will is illusory the way time and space are. The demiurge creating nature is the one and only will, just as time is one single moment in indeterminate extension. Our being is a product of that will, and we confusedly assume that we are in control of our thoughts and actions, when our thoughts and actions are entirely reactionary. Even the abstracting of valid possible worlds is reactionary; only the one path is consequential, and it appears to me that this path has been predetermined.

PapaPetro

I do consider the dualistic concept of right and wrong to be an intrinsic and self-evident aspect of nature and of the human condition, but only at the most fundamental binary level because the overwhelming majority of moral determinants are the products of civilization and culture. Every civilization goes through the same morphological cycles which begin and end according to the compulsory principle I described earlier, but the upper branches in codified law and the immediacy of the individual's felt moral convictions are circumstantial and highly variable. But I do accept that there are fundamental moral values that are pre-conscious, embedded in nature and are self-evident.
But why can't we think beyond binary morality on a meta-ethical level? That's the problem with either monistic or dualistic thought: it's either-or (pun intended bigtime). Triadic thinking meanwhile breaks this mold since you are not either in a monistic/gnostic illusory framework where all knowledge is unreliable (thus even that statement is unreliable), and you're not in a dualistic model limited by two dyadic options in constant dialectic tension (good and evil become eternally relative and interchangable based on which viewpoint you arbitrarily side with). But what if you can have multiple real moral goods? Under this model, your choice both matters in that it has consequence but only good outcomes based on the framing of your worldview. If all things have purpose, even bad things, then you are ultimately in the real life role of deciding between good paths in life. This assumes you have faith that in the End, you were on the right meta-path all along.
The Triadic model thus requires you to presuppose the aftermath of the End: to presuppose a possible world where we already won the Eschaton, you survived Judgement, and you are living in medias res on a journey toward Heaven (Ă  la Lives of Saints): An increasingly possible and probable world where you made the right choices and became a Saint in Heaven. It's not easy, but you have to temporally change how your mind perceives yourself to work; like in that TNG finale All Good Things...

Ultimately that's my prescription with those inflicted with the burden Free Will and to synthesize that with the Determinism of Omniscience: assume you eventually achieve Theosis as long as you follow the good path by following the good paths laid out by good people (other Saints dead or alive). If Hell is other people, then so is Heaven. But the Best People. The Christ-like People.
Is it not God's Will that you be saved? Thus logically if you follow God's Will, you will be saved and become holy / go-to-Heaven / become a Saint. You must have faith and assume that you will become a Saint in order to become a Saint; else you will fail at Theosis since this ontological (even epistemic) presupposition becomes an impossibility: you will always be fallen and limited and thus will further become nothingness (i.e. Evil: That which is not like God).
Eventually you develop faith in your own Free Will that you will be strong and hold onto what is good; climbing your spiritually ladder higher & higher building surety in your faith.
This is why I'm an Orthodox Christian / Palamist. I've looked around and this makes the most sense: this is how you win at this game if you existentially find yourself a PC in this reality.

You become Godlike.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Triadic model thus requires you to presuppose the aftermath of the End: to presuppose a possible world where we already won the Eschaton, you survived Judgement, and you are living in medias res on a journey toward Heaven (Ă  la Lives of Saints): An increasingly possible and probable world where you made the right choices and became a Saint in Heaven.
This is a very interesting kind of thinking. There is a kind of imminent eschatological undercurrent that runs through nearly all of my thought, and I find that my default mode is to equate the tenebrous urges towards annihilation that darken the walls and ceiling of my own psychic sensorium with that of the over-culture, the ebb and flow of the tides of personal temperament with the waxing and waning phases of the mercurial Anima Mundi. Only retrospectively do I become aware of this tendency, which were it to be a mote stronger or the force binding my psychic fortitude a mite weaker I'd no doubt have psychologically collapsed into schizophrenia. A step further and I'd be confounding changing weather patterns with my moods.

In truth though I don't think of myself as a cosmic dualist and monism would within my view account solely for the material world being indistinguishable from the animate God. The gnostic language and imagery I use is really just a matter of convenience; I don't consider myself a gnostic nor do I accept the mythologizing of any one particular heretical sect. I do consider nature to be "evil" or perhaps "daemonic" is a better word, because although it contains profound instances of the good, I hesitate to say even the innocent and the pure, in the grand scale I take the Buddhist view that it is illusory and rooted in the suffering of attachments. However I do not consider the unchanging eternal God to be absolutely "good" and this is my main point of departure from any and all forms of Christianity whether Orthodox, gnostic or my inherited Catholicism.

Your conclusions do make sense and I'm not entirely opposed to them, I often wish I could feel similarly if I'm honest. A major part of my spiritual path, if you will, is a profound discomfort with being unable to accept anything as a matter of faith. Doubt is an all-consuming force, a powerful tool of discernment that easily becomes unwieldy and saps control. No matter the angle of approach I just cannot accept Jesus as Christ, the triune God eludes me and faith just isn't going to come for something that to me does not appear to be self-evident. I've approached it from many different theological disciplines and from the silent contemplation of fervent prayer, to no avail. The sole consistent attribute I find omnipresent throughout the entirety of my spiritual and material life is the demented malevolence of nature and whatever that disarticulated awareness is that is causing it to be. The comfort of faith withered for me before the certainty of recognition when presented with the ineffable ground of spiritual being. It wasn't like deja vu, it was like waking up after billions of lifetimes lived where the long shadows fall.

PapaPetro

I do consider nature to be "evil" or perhaps "daemonic" is a better word, because although it contains profound instances of the good, I hesitate to say even the innocent and the pure, in the grand scale I take the Buddhist view that it is illusory and rooted in the suffering of attachments.
So would you consider yourself Manichean? Where Creation is both Good/Evil rather than the Christian view of Creation being Good but Fallen (metaphysically moving away from Good toward Non-Good).
A major part of my spiritual path, if you will, is a profound discomfort with being unable to accept anything as a matter of faith.
But you do so all the time without reexamining why you take them for granted. Whether it is logic, or math or reason or consciousness or the Theory of the Mind, you make assumptions you can't prove foundationally but do find useful after making that leap of faith. You took that leap of faith when your teacher first told you you were wrong when 2+2=5 in 1st Grade. They never explained why you should have agreed to use math without demonstrating the whole of Mathematic's connections to literally every other math-like system (physics, formal logic, geometry, computing, statistics, etc.). Now it makes sense because it's coherently networked and mapped to all those other truthful systems but as it kid you took it on a matter of authority and faith from the adults/Teachers (Sometimes they get it wrong like with Pluto).

As for a demonstration against Monism, I'll make the claim the it is ultimately a Nihilistic theology and must be rejected as an absurdity relative to a transcendent God (TAG Argument). In Monism, the Monad / Absolute is all there really is Platonically speaking. So this One thing is the Universe and all things and experiences in the Universe. Thus if the Universe falls to Entropy and Nihilism to Itself and by extension all illusory existing persons in Itself, then the Universe/Monad/Absolute must also be illusory and thus must not fully exist on an Absolute ontological level required for aseity (cosmic self-sufficiency). Thus Monism becomes an impossibility in its own logical system and must be rejected as an absurdity in favor of a more coherent & consistent philosophical explanation for why Reality exists.
Not to mention that when atheists claim that nothing happens when we die, they are really making the same exact indistinguishable claim that your existence "becomes one" with Oblivion (along with everything else); which is just Absolutism/Nihilism. That's why it doesn't matter what you "become one with", your existence gets erased and forgotten anyway so the unknowable Monad/Absolute become epistemically indistinguishable from Absolute Nihilism. Thus Meta-Ethically one must always reject Monism as an absurdity since it is indistinguishable from Nihilism by extension.

Also wanted to mention that your writing style kind of reminds me of Nick Land.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So would you consider yourself Manichean? Where Creation is both Good/Evil rather than the Christian view of Creation being Good but Fallen (metaphysically moving away from Good toward Non-Good).
In that sense I suppose so, though I'm hesitant to wed myself to any particular view. But in essence I do view nature as both only I think that it is overwhelmingly evil with the good being a necessary compensatory feature. Maybe necessary isn't the right word, though. Maybe compulsory?

But you do so all the time without reexamining why you take them for granted.
Yes that was a poor choice of words on my part, you're absolutely correct. Not only is faith the requisite basis of epistemology it is the sole mode of discernment we have recourse to at the level of first principles. Having experienced a series of concurrent false-awakenings at one point, itself one of many aberrant forms of relative unconsciousness I experience during sleep all correlated to violent hypnagogic and hypnopompic attacks involving temporary paralysis and auditory and visual hallucinations, I'm left with a sort of numinous sequela of persistent liminal uncertainty; subtle thought it is after time dimmed what was once a brilliant ferocity, at the interface between sleeping and waking I find myself mystified. Am I truly awake? What is the determinant factor beyond all doubt? Only on faith due I discern one state from the other, having the two so horrifically confounded during a sequential fall from one state seemingly into the other. Having the very bedrock of my sanity dissolved so effortlessly on one single occasion almost two decades ago while simply trying to go to sleep led me to acknowledge the faith upon which the entirety of the human experience teeters on, a very house of cards that comes crashing down at the gentlest ill wind.

As to atheists and the correlation with nihilistic navel-gazing of a monist mysticism I fully concur; I stopped considering atheism many years ago and haven't engaged in intellectual debate in that capacity in a similarly long time. God is self-evident to eyes that can see, it only comes down to whether or not a given person does or does not have the opportunity. My suspicion that this is a matter of determinism is what led me to drop the matter all together, it is no longer an option for me on any grounds whatsoever. What remains is the agonizing over what God isn't; what it is I maintain a negative theological position on, in the mode of the Cloud of Unknowing. What it isn't, at least potentially, has truly awful implications.

I'm not familiar with the author Nick Land though, would you recommend anything in particular? Truth be told my writing style is mostly mimicry and inference distilled from a battery of works consumed that I was fortunate enough to discover through "cultured" friends I'd met in my youth, in reality I'm a recovering heroin addict that never graduated high school and may have suffered brain injuries from abusing inhalants and dissociative drugs as a teenager. I've much to atone for, no question about it.

HedgeGizard

Literate
In that sense I suppose so, though I'm hesitant to wed myself to any particular view. But in essence I do view nature as both only I think that it is overwhelmingly evil with the good being a necessary compensatory feature. Maybe necessary isn't the right word, though. Maybe compulsory?

But you do so all the time without reexamining why you take them for granted.
Yes that was a poor choice of words on my part, you're absolutely correct. Not only is faith the requisite basis of epistemology it is the sole mode of discernment we have recourse to at the level of first principles. Having experienced a series of concurrent false-awakenings at one point, itself one of many aberrant forms of relative unconsciousness I experience during sleep all correlated to violent hypnagogic and hypnopompic attacks involving temporary paralysis and auditory and visual hallucinations, I'm left with a sort of numinous sequela of persistent liminal uncertainty; subtle thought it is after time dimmed what was once a brilliant ferocity, at the interface between sleeping and waking I find myself mystified. Am I truly awake? What is the determinant factor beyond all doubt? Only on faith due I discern one state from the other, having the two so horrifically confounded during a sequential fall from one state seemingly into the other. Having the very bedrock of my sanity dissolved so effortlessly on one single occasion almost two decades ago while simply trying to go to sleep led me to acknowledge the faith upon which the entirety of the human experience teeters on, a very house of cards that comes crashing down at the gentlest ill wind.

As to atheists and the correlation with nihilistic navel-gazing of a monist mysticism I fully concur; I stopped considering atheism many years ago and haven't engaged in intellectual debate in that capacity in a similarly long time. God is self-evident to eyes that can see, it only comes down to whether or not a given person does or does not have the opportunity. My suspicion that this is a matter of determinism is what led me to drop the matter all together, it is no longer an option for me on any grounds whatsoever. What remains is the agonizing over what God isn't; what it is I maintain a negative theological position on, in the mode of the Cloud of Unknowing. What it isn't, at least potentially, has truly awful implications.

I'm not familiar with the author Nick Land though, would you recommend anything in particular? Truth be told my writing style is mostly mimicry and inference distilled from a battery of works consumed that I was fortunate enough to discover through "cultured" friends I'd met in my youth, in reality I'm a recovering heroin addict that never graduated high school and may have suffered brain injuries from abusing inhalants and dissociative drugs as a teenager. I've much to atone for, no question about it.
Unseeing, have you read Couliano's Tree of Gnosis? Very interesting book, goes into a systemic history of gnostic/Platonic Dualist belief.

PapaPetro

I'm not familiar with the author Nick Land though, would you recommend anything in particular?
Fanged Noumena.
Pretty much his philosophy is under the line of Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari on Techno-Capital increasing manifesting Willpower from a reactionary schizoid lens.
It's a really peculiar style of writing drew that connection in my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom