Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Post-decline gems

Spike

Educated
I thought of another. 2007's Stranglehold! Chinese Max Payne. John Woo produced it and it's a sequel to the classic gun-ballet film, Hard Boiled (which I am overdue for a rewatch). It's kind of funny. John Woo inspired Max Payne which inspired John Woo to make Stranglehold. Full circle. MC even looks like Chow Yun Fat.

Dr1f7

Scholar
definitely kenshi (game of the century) and obviously everything made by valve, and mount & blade

then there's a handful of devs/publishers I keep an eye on that release overall good stuff

fromsoft
frictional
capcom
bandai
konami
kalypso (questionable)
frontier

I am not going to include studios in the tally (if and when it finally comes), so if you want your favorite games to be included, write them out.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I would highly recommend Souldiers. It's a metroidvania with really solid graphics and it feels great to play. It's a bit longer than it should be but it feels like it belongs on the early PS1 or Late SNES in terms of presentation and gameplay feel. I would consider it one of the best 2d platformers ever made depending on how you want to slice the genre.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Interesting that no one has posted Prey (2017), I remember people talking quite fondly about it. I wasn't that into it tbh.

I would rather recommend Prey (2006).

Then some from on top of my mind:
ATOM RPG
Expeditions: Viking
The Fall part 1&2
Terminator Resistance
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Stalker
Grey Goo
Primordia?

I also liked Shadowrun Returns and J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars.

I'm a story fag and don't play that many games anyway.
Grey goo? That's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time... I find it bizarre you put THAT on your list of all things.

This thread would work a lot better if instead of stupid trolling and shitposting and infighting (which you can and will do in the other 30,000 threads here), you would list good games you played since 2005 or so. Then people could see the list of shit to play.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I didn't play this back on the PS1 for some reason or another, but did go back to it many years later and thought it was pretty fun.

How's the Reignited remake?
I did own it and I never played it much because I got motion sickness, one thing I do remember about this game tho is it's weird copyright protection. I had an original disk but it's still an interesting story.

edit: oh, it's about the third game in the series, well, whatever.

manifest

Educated
the way I have played minecraft is mindlessly strip mine long tunnels while listenting to audiobooks just to keep my hands busy, good game for that, I have stacks and stacks of diamonds and am still living in a hole in the dirt.
Incidentally, this is an apt description of the core gameplay of any Bethesda Game Studios title.

Vic

Savant
the way I have played minecraft is mindlessly strip mine long tunnels while listenting to audiobooks just to keep my hands busy, good game for that, I have stacks and stacks of diamonds and am still living in a hole in the dirt.
Incidentally, this is an apt description of the core gameplay of any Bethesda Game Studios title.
Infinitron King Crispy when are you going to take responsibiity for these comments? Do you know how many times I've had Bethesda unrelatedly referenced when I got into a discussion with someone?

Let me repeat that again: I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

Vic

Savant
@King Crispy when are you going to take responsibiity for these comments?
I'm not normally in the habit of taking responsibility for comments that I didn't make.
what is the point of harassing me with the tag? Is it funny? People keep talking to me about Bethesda like I care. I know we have Bethesda fans here who will gladly talk about their games but I'm not one of those people. I've said as much, why do I have to deal with this?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe if you weren't so triggered each time someone makes a little joke...though it makes it all the funnier :popcorn:

On topic: Minecraft is one of the best games/platforms ever, you can play it whatever way you want, anything from plain vanilla lego type singleplayer to multiplayer pvp servers or mmorpgs - not that I'd want to engage in the latter, but each for their own.

Don't fancy all the current mechanics they have in place? Fine, rollback to a legacy version of your liking.

Vic

Savant
Maybe if you weren't so triggered each time someone makes a little joke...though it makes it all the funnier :popcorn:
they aren't all jokes tho, people see the tag and assume I'm a fan of Bethesda games so they start talking to me about them. I am being discriminated against due to the fact that I've enjoyed Starfield for 2 weeks, now I have to listen to people talking to me about Bethesda for the rest of my codex life.

Vic

Savant
ok dickhead, I'm glad my annoyance is funny to you, keep laughing while chocking on my cock like the gay little bitch you are

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is it so funny? I reckon it resembles the events you describe below, only replace 'we' with 'codex' and 'retard' with 'bethestard' and you get the picture.
when I was a kid we had a retard and we made him stick a stick up his ass and eat his shit

Vic

Savant
Why is it so funny? I reckon it resembles the events you describe below, only replace 'we' with 'codex' and 'retard' with 'bethestard' and you get the picture.
when I was a kid we had a retard and we made him stick a stick up his ass and eat his shit
so you're like a brat laughing at something cruel?

no, I get it, but I'm not gonna stop pestering staff about it if I keep getting annoyed about it, if they think it's so funny they surely enjoy my attention, especially Crispy

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Well, in this case it's not so cruel, since we didn't make the retard bethestard to eat shit play Starfield, but he gobbles it up of his own volition.
We're all friendly here, no bullying.

Vic

Savant
Well, in this case it's not so cruel, since we didn't make the retard bethestard to eat shit play Starfield, but he gobbles it up of his own volition.
We're all friendly here, no bullying.
wow, you are so smart, check the steam forums for Starfield and see how many people are calling the game shit. ever consider that the game just goes over the heads of most people? The biggest problem with Starfield is that it's unfinished, but if it was it would be the most ambitious game ever made.

I am truly looking down on people who fail to see this potential so you're doing yourself no favors calling the game shit. But it makes sense if you liken yourself to kids laughing at something stupid.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting that no one has posted Prey (2017), I remember people talking quite fondly about it. I wasn't that into it tbh.

I would rather recommend Prey (2006).

Then some from on top of my mind:
ATOM RPG
Expeditions: Viking
The Fall part 1&2
Terminator Resistance
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Stalker
Grey Goo
Primordia?

I also liked Shadowrun Returns and J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars.

I'm a story fag and don't play that many games anyway.
Grey goo? That's a name I haven't heard in a loooong time... I find it bizarre you put THAT on your list of all things.
I liked the story with humans encounterung an enemy they had themselves created and then forgot about. The campaign was very intense and the missions required a lot of focus on the highest difficulty, at least for me who is not that good of a gamer.

The presentation was great and the characters were alright. I had fun with it in 2015 and back then there weren't that many RTS titles to compete for attention.

I haven't played it since so I don't know if it stands the test of time.

Hagashager

Educated
Genuinely good Post-2004 games:

Shadow of the Colossus
Fallout: New Vegas
The entire Fromsoft catalog
DooM 2016
The D:OS series

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom