Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Project Eternity Interview @ Irontower

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur's Gate is a party based game though, so the question is, did you always have essentially the same party composition

Hormalakh

Magister
I see what you are saying but in so-called unbalanced AD&D RPGs being a Fighter or Druid is just as viable as being a mage. I have solo'd BG 2 with pretty much every character and to me the replay value didn't come from balance (which'd mean the game would have been the same difficulty) but rather the challenge that different character classes provided. My favorite runs were Inquisitor, Cavalier, Swashbuckler, Assassin and Jester and Skald - by no means extremely powerful, especially the latter.

But having to adapt to the different power level and the new tactics that came with that give that game life.
I agree that different classes should involve different tactics, but I don't think that this takes away from balancing all the other classes to be useful throughout the game. What ultimately happens then is that it becomes viable to play with a whole bunch of different classes. Not balancing your classes is fine: it'll make for a good game once or twice. But paying attention to balance makes the game much more replayable and opens up a much wider variety of options for the players. The options really open up and it feels like a more complete experience. It moves away from a "problem" that you need to solve once, to an actual difference in experience based on your own circumstances - like a true RPG should be.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I see what you are saying but in so-called unbalanced AD&D RPGs being a Fighter is just as viable as being a mage

Jasede, I like you and all, but...

712382411_When_Did_Ignorance_Become_A_Point_Of_View_xlarge.jpeg

Even the fucking proponents of AD&D, mystical in their arguments as they may be, would never make that fucking argument. Remember that I'm not a proponent of the striving for utopian ideas of system balance, but AD&D is crap, the fighter is a remarkable demonstration of how incredibly overly complex you can make something that, in the end, plays like hitting to blocks of stone together, and that quote right there, is ignorant dear sir.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, you have to take it in context: IN AD&D RPGs such as Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and in AD&D tabletop.

You can not really have a successful party without a Fighter! And then there's all the things that could possibly happen: spellbook lost/stolen, anti-magic zones, beholders and so on. I don't think it's as ignorant as you make it out to be.

Infinitron, as I mentioned I was talking about solo runs. Playing BG 2 solo is more fun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And then there's all the things that could possibly happen: spellbook lost/stolen, anti-magic zones, beholders and so on.

This is a misnomer. Why? Because it is a perfect example of how GM's use creative rules to work around the shitty design of AD&D.

Stop defending AD&D man... just stop. No one wants to see systems so poorly designed as that again. You can be critical of a system and still find immense joy in it, like I do, because of nostalgia and familiarity.

Hormalakh

Magister
Imagine being able to do solo runs with each character class Jasede. It's practically impossible for some. And not fun with others.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I did almost all of them. (In BG 2)

And to me the fun came from how some of them were almost impossible. It's just a different philosophy.

And Grunker, don't you find modern systems where every class is just as viable a bit boring? I really genuinely enjoy a lack of so-called "balance", especially in single player RPGs. I don't believe a high-level Fighter should be as powerful as a high-level wizard because in the AD&D system it's balanced in a way: wizards are fragile and flat-out bad early on, where Fighters can shine. Later on, the dynamic changes and Fighters become defenders, protectors and, well, door-stops.

Come on, I'm not really stupid, though you can say I am. I just like different things...

Hormalakh

Magister
But throughout the whole experience, fighters can only hit things. They have nothing else to do... You aren't building on complexity. You're just...clicking and waiting for the battle to be over. Yes they can drink potions but so can mages. Mages on the other hand have all sorts of spells and thought that go into each thing that they do.

Imagine if mages could only cast one spell: magic missile. And as they went up in levels, the magic missiles just got more powerful. That's what it's like playing a fighter.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And Grunker, don't you find modern systems where every class is just as viable a bit boring? I really genuinely enjoy a lack of so-called "balance", especially in single player RPGs. I don't believe a high-level Fighter should be as powerful as a high-level wizard because in the AD&D system it's balanced in a way: wizards are fragile and flat-out bad early on, where Fighters can shine. Later on, the dynamic changes and Fighters become defenders, protectors and, well, door-stops.

Did you miss the part - well, parts actually - where I said I didn't agree with Hormaosakfoeksgo and Roguey on their utopian balance-discussion? My point was that the fact that you still had to understand complex rules to play the insanely simplistic fighter was idiotic design. AD&D is worst-of-both-worlds and it is exemplified in the fighter; a useless level of needless complexity that amounts to a completely simply class capable of doing only one action in RAW. There are much, much better ways to make a simple class without too many facets in RAW if that's what you're looking for.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Because, you supposed "conservative" fag, balance allows for replay value and non-gimmicky characters to be made and to be viable options in future gameplays. Or maybe someone else wants to try a character that isn't a mage. Why the hell should you be the one who dictates which characters are OP and which aren't? Do you have some sort of brain that just "knows" what everyone will enjoy or are you just another dipshit trying to make sure his little 6 pixel chracter is "the bestest" in the whole wide world?

The whole point of a god-damn RPG is to have VIABLE CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES. If I wanted to play a game where the fucking mage is the only fucking option, I'd play a god-damn adventure game. Get your shit straight.

And what's stopping you from playing a different class than a mage in say Baldur's Gate 2 ? Every class is viable, some are more powerful than others yes but as it has been mentioned already, this isn't MMORPG with it's PVP and similar nonsense, balance in single player RPGs is hardly as big of a deal as you make it to be, highly different experience in playthroughs with different classes is what's far more important.

The way Sawyer is going leads to the homogenization of classes with each playthrough feeling fucking same from a gameplay perspective:

-High level mages are too powerful so we have to balance that with making fighters equally uber awesome or by nerfing high level mages.

-Mages completely running out of spells and having to resort to darts and slings? We can't have that because it's unfair in comparison to fighters who can swing away all they long so we'll give them cooldowns on low level spells so they can basically function as some magic archer or something.

-Next genius idea will probably be that it's unfair to players whose main character isn't a thief and they don't have an NPC thief in the party that traps either be very deadly or that only thief can disarm them.

Again, I'd take diversity over balance in single player RPGs (which are the only kind I care about) every time and IMO it's almost an impossible task to achieve both sucessfully.

To take another game for example, in Arcanum the fact that mages and even melee fighters are so grossly overpowered compared to gunslingers does in no way deter from my enjoyment of playing as a one, in fact I'd say that playing Arcanum with a gunslinger is one of the most fun (which is essentially what video games are for) gaming experiences I've ever had.

Imagine being able to do solo runs with each character class Jasede. It's practically impossible for some. And not fun with others.

Fun factor is highly subjective and it's quite possible to solo BG2 with any class imaginable (yes even with beast master and avenger) and regardless of talks about how mages (or espcecially sorcerers) are so overpowered compared the other classes the easiest I had with playing BG2 was with any sort of fighter thief combination, even if they're weaker than high level mages/sorcerers in absolute terms the game was even more of a breeze with my PC being Fighter/Thief (multi-class or dual-class).

Hormalakh

Magister
Grunker,:lol: just call me Horm

the easiest I had with playing BG2 was with any sort of fighter thief combination, even if they're weaker than high level mages/sorcerers in absolute terms the game was even more of a breeze with my PC being Fighter/Thief (multi-class or dual-class).

This is where you fail. Multi-class already shows how big of a fail it is. If you can't play the game with a single-class, then don't make it a class.

Balance does not equal homogenization/loss of diversity. I've talked about this in previous posts. Look a few pages back.

In Arcanum, having the harm spell makes the game no longer "fun." People call mages OP because they are. The game wasn't correctly balanced around them. I'm not saying balance the game where everybody plays the same: I'm saying balance the game where each class is viable at every stage of the game and not OP/underpowered/boring.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
This is where you fail. Multi-class already shows how big of a fail it is. If you can't play the game with a single-class, then don't make it a class.

I said that my char being Fighter/Thief made the game even more of a breeze than playing as an overpowered sorcerer, I didn't say I can't play the game with a single-class, I finished the game with both vanilla figher and thief (solo or with a party) and as their various kits.

Balance does not equal homogenization/loss of diversity. I've talked about this in previous posts. Look a few pages back.

Well can you name a single player RPGs that excels in both areas (balance and diversity)?

In Arcanum, having the harm spell makes the game no longer "fun."

How does the harm spell make the game no fun for me if I'm playing as a gunslinger? I have hardly any contact with it.

People call mages OP because they are.

Never denied that they are, although melee fighters or melee tech char with stun grenades, balanced (LOL) sword and charged rings can be pretty OP as well.

The game wasn't correctly balanced around them. I'm not saying balance the game where everybody plays the same: I'm saying balance the game where each class is viable at every stage of the game and not OP/underpowered/boring.

But that's the thing, as a gunslinger I felt the difficulty was just right (I didn't feel underpowered) and it was plain more fun to play for me than with other classes

Hormalakh

Magister
Where classes are involved for balanced/diverse RPGs? No I can't, I'm afraid, and this might be because I haven't played all of them. I'm working on it, but there are quite a few (left to play, that is). It's more of an ideal than something that has been done before, in any case. You've got a lot of games that are class-less (Fallout/Arcanum) and many of the class-based games (not all obv) are based on D&D which is unbalanced. I'll have to get back to you after I play some more games.

As for Arcanum, yes I'd agree that the game was "balanced" around gunslingers. They should have worked on the magic system a little more (maybe nerfed the harm and some other spells) until it felt right about where gunslinger was. Arcanum could have several "classes." And many of these classes are based on the technology/magic division.

Fighter - technology
Fighter - magic
Mage - divided into the colleges.
Technologist - divided into the disciplines.
Rogue
Gunslinger
I once played as a "bomber." I'd max my explosives and throwing and sneak/pickpocket.

hiver

True balance lies in constructing environment and events that provide more direct usability of specific abilities of any class, while they limit the others.
Environment interaction and quest influence - i.e. different solutions of quests than combat.

As long as you have direct combat as the main or even only type of gameplay - there wont be any true balance, only silly nerfs and gimps.
That never real work - and that produce their own negative unexpected consequences on top of that.

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)

I see you (deliberately?) missed the rest of the discussion. This is ALL stuff that deeper, tactical classes could do as well. Most of what you describe is PRECISELY what I took into account by writing this:

You will almost never have tactical depth, unless you don't play by the rules of course and makes shit up as you go (which many P&P tables do, which is cool)

For example, throwing a bomb into the dragon's gullet. You could have been playing any class ever - it says nothing about the design of the class. I realize you like AD&D Alex, and you're welcome to it, but that list is pretty much walking dead into my argument.

Well, but like I said later, these maneuvers were kind of the fighter's thing. I will agree with you that the rules text lacked support for this tpe of play. there were tons of things that it could have done, like examples, dissertations on different fighting styles, etc. But my comment was made in view of Sawyer's. That is, while I think the text in BECMI or AD&D could have used a lot of work, at least those games commonly were played this way. Meanwhile, I see this kind of play as somewhat inimical to games where combat is a closed and balanced mathematical system.

:notsureifserious:

Bullshit, Alex. You are the one who for some reason made up a world where the absence of rules (or indeed, the absence of rules other than AD and fucking D) is needed for this kind of stuff. I have told you many times before how many campaigns I play in and DM that utilize these exact mechanics. That does not excuse the fighter in AD&D.

The problem is not the absence of rules. I feel this kind of play could easily be ported to GURPS or Runequest, for example. The rules in GURPS help me because they aren't about character balance. they are about representing concepts. This means that I can know how and where to change to represent new concepts I or my players bring to the table.

Have you ever seen Burning Wheel, Grunker? It is a strange case, but I think it shows what kind of quality I am talking about quite well. Burning Wheel is divided in 3 layers, the hub, the spokes and the rim of the wheel. The hub of the wheel is basically the very core rules of the game, how dice are rolled and read in normal tests. The spokes add in various types of different modifiers. Stuff like people helping each other, contested tests and a few other points.While the system is abstract, and maybe a little resistant to new elements being added, I would say it would play quite well with the style of gaming I am talking about. Although it defines tests, with stakes, results and what not, it always eaves those open to the players to modify or change. Failure in a test could do a whole lot of things. It could cause you damage, it could affect your circles, it could give your character a new trait, it could change your attributes (although the game isn't too keen on those, at least without an explaining trait being added). Anything is still possible, and thus, the system can be adapted to any kind of situation.

But the rules in the rim of the wheel are very different. There, several subsystems, like rules for combat, ranged fights, duels of wits, armor, damage, resources and what not are described. And these are much more static in their scope. The game isn't nearly as strict and minimal as D&D 4e. Whereas 4e tries to put all abilities in the same (limited) framework, Burning Wheel has all kinds of provisions for you to add in anything you can think off. In fact, I loved that horse supplement that came with it, that allowed you to create your horse as a character. But anything that is added, changed or removed must first consider the game's math. There is a very strict math dealing with character advancement, how using skills make them go higher, how you get Artha (think of fate points) and how using them allow you to become more than human in a certain ability. All this is carefully balance by the author, and adding stuff that breaks it is a big nono in that game.

Another thing that is not good is if there are ways around the subsystems. The circles (for meeting npcs) and resources (for buying things) subsystems are full of considerations for complications that could happen in these endeavors. You can't use your resources if your resources consist of several ships full of clothes back in the old world when exploring the new one. Unless you can convince the natives to take credit. But it is bad form to circumvent the system, even when this would make sense. For example, a very rich character should exhaust his resources if he fails the test, even if h is trying to buy something very cheap. This can be explained away as having it be the straw that broke the camel's back, or simpy not rolling for it, if it makes sense in the situation. But it would be bad form to add some other kind of consequences to the roll, lik, for example, having the player make a faux pass with the shop keeper.

So, the point isn't if the game is minimalist or not, abstract or not. PDQ is bout as abstract or minimalist as D&D, whereas GURPS is the complete opposite, yet both D&D and GURPS are appropriate for this kind of game, whereas PDQ isn't.

"Oh, but Grunker" you argue, "I like minimal rules when making shit up on the fly!" Oh shit... wait... you actually have a point... but... Then why the FUCK are you playing AD&D? One of the absolute best examples of how shitty that system is the level of complexity you need to understand and the number of completely different and arbitrary table-based systems you need to know at least superficially to play a guy who, by RAW, is not allowed to do much more than swing sharp objects at things. That, is hilarious. AD&D is not a simple system, yet it has classes that are shallow. There are much better simplistic systems out there.

Personally, I like AD&D as an example of how you could (hough not necessarily would) evolve D&D through play. Evolving the game through play is very important here. The idea in these old school games is that, no matter how simple or complex it starts, there are lots of stuff that aren't well covered in the rules. So you go ahead and make rulings, differentiations and house rules, growing the game organically. Of course, the end result can be disjoint, and AD&D is certainly more disjoint than it needs to be, but even if that wasn't the case, the game would still not be uniform and self similar.

"Oh, but Grunker" you contrinue, "maybe some players like complexity and some like simplicity!" OK. Fair enough. How lucky that Pathfinder's fighter can be played fucking blind-folded too, huh? There's also many other fantasy systems that provide this much, much better than AD&D which require the poor simplicity-liking player to understand the arbitrary piece of fuck that is AD&D. You're not saying "to make shit up, we need minimal mechanics," you're literally saying "too make shit up I need this set of bad mechanics!"

I still don't see AD&D mechanics as bad. Just lacking explanations in some areas. But most of the games that try to define these areas better end up being either too rigid to really let the players go wild with their ideas or too restrictive in the possible effects of these ideas. My ideal system would treat the various abilities of a fighter, such as his fighting styles, his weapons, his armor and what not somewhat akin to how Mage: the Ascension treats spheres. No, not that fighters would suddenly be able to make magic like effects, but how they use their skills is something more dependent on context and situation, with guidelines to the GM of how to take care of it, and maybe even rules suggestions, but nothing definitive. By the way, this is exactly what I am trying to do in my own game system, though only God knows whether I will manage it.

Funny, you using 4E as an example, seeing as I've stated in multiple threads, multiple times how I dislike that system, particularly because it goes out of its way to block shit like this. I do, however, like 3.5 and Pathfinder, systems where stuff like what you mention is more than possible.

I just use 4e cause it is a system that takes the other side of the coin very far, and thus is n easy comparison. Sorry if it seemed I was accusing you of liking it.

Summa summarum: You like AD&D, and I really have no problems with that, but your arguments of placing it descriptively above 3.5 et al are arbitrary and irrational. I've told you these things before, and I'm fairly surprised I have to listen to the same arguments again. AD&D is arbitrary, it's a mess, and it was designed without an overarching goal. It isn't even a system in a sense that a system is a coherent set of rules that are all tied to the same core. I love it to death anyway and often play it, since it is the system I played the most as a kid without a doubt, but when taking time to consider what makes a good system and what we should strive for in the future, AD&D is the very anti-thesis to that.

Well, you can do this stuff in 3.5. You can do this stuff in 4e too. But a lot on those systems are just in the way and don't help me with anything. For example, if I play things my way in 3.5 e, a wizard could probably end up with the same effect of having a feat, a prestige class or even another baic class because I let him have a new spell. If a game I was playig had a long downtime and a fighter asked to try to practice a certain fighting style, I probably would let him have a feat or two, outside of the ones you normally get leveling. Or maybe several skill points. I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest by adding a monster that could reduce your basic attributes, without any means of getting them back, or a magic artifact that would exchange our intelligence with your strength. Given I am doing this, it seems I am taking the stuff in D&D 3e and just throwing it away until it is like 2e or 1e again. Of course, there is a lot of stuff I don't like in 1e or 2e too. Like the weapons vs armor class rules. But these things are much easier to get rid off without feeling you are breaking the basic balance of the game. Because there isn't one in first place. The basic balance is in how you tie things together and come up with stuff as a GM.

Let's end it on a consolidary note, since the two of us so often have this debate: I hope, and I believe there is a slight chance from what we've seen so far, that Next can unite us all :love:. I sincerely hope a generally clever and smart guy like yourself, you irrational like of AD&D not withstanding, is giving them feedback during the BETA.

I really need to take a look at it to see how it is going along. Thanks for reminding me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For example, if I play things my way in 3.5 e, a wizard could probably end up with the same effect of having a feat, a prestige class or even another baic class because I let him have a new spell. If a game I was playig had a long downtime and a fighter asked to try to practice a certain fighting style, I probably would let him have a feat or two, outside of the ones you normally get leveling. Or maybe several skill points. I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest by adding a monster that could reduce your basic attributes, without any means of getting them back, or a magic artifact that would exchange our intelligence with your strength. Given I am doing this, it seems I am taking the stuff in D&D 3e and just throwing it away until it is like 2e or 1e again.
None of those things are "going back" and all are in fact supported by 3e framework.

Unless you had houserules in the 10s of pages covering all the things 3E feats can do.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Excellent post, I disagree very strongly with it. I'm writing my huge project for Uni at the moment on full-time, so I have no time to make a full-fledged comment, but I believe I can hit on the core difference in our opinion:

Alex said:
Well, you can do this stuff in 3.5. You can do this stuff in 4e too. But a lot on those systems are just in the way and don't help me with anything.

No, this is untrue. 4th Edition actively blocks you, 3.5 does not. And even if it did, there would be other systems better suited to your needs that AD&D, with less arbitrary complexity that you don't use anyway. This point can be expanded upon using this false statement:

For example, if I play things my way in 3.5 e, a wizard could probably end up with the same effect of having a feat, a prestige class or even another baic class because I let him have a new spell. If a game I was playig had a long downtime and a fighter asked to try to practice a certain fighting style, I probably would let him have a feat or two, outside of the ones you normally get leveling. Or maybe several skill points. I wouldn't feel bad in the slightest by adding a monster that could reduce your basic attributes, without any means of getting them back, or a magic artifact that would exchange our intelligence with your strength. Given I am doing this, it seems I am taking the stuff in D&D 3e and just throwing it away until it is like 2e or 1e again.

You are inventing and re-directing the rules just as much in 2E as you would be in 3E here. There is no difference. Literally. None. I run a campaign right now doing exactly what you are describing.

Rake

Arcane
Grunker,:lol: just call me Horm

the easiest I had with playing BG2 was with any sort of fighter thief combination, even if they're weaker than high level mages/sorcerers in absolute terms the game was even more of a breeze with my PC being Fighter/Thief (multi-class or dual-class).

Simple fighter.Its still the easiest way to play BG2. For all the talk about how OP the wirards are in high levels, certain fighter builds can have so much AC that in high levels they are immposible to die out of boss fights

If they can manage that i think all of us will be happy. But l can't think of any game with total balanced classes without loss of diversity.

Hormalakh

Magister
I think its hard to do with 8 classes where some skills are homogenized. We'll have to see.

Alex

Arcane
None of those things are "going back" and all are in fact supported by 3e framework.

Well, about as much as they are supported by 2e. Except in 2e I don't feel half of the rules are in there exactly to prevent this kind of thing.

Unless you had houserules in the 10s of pages covering all the things 3E feats can do.

I don't need 10s of pages. All I need is for a player to decide, on the spur of the moment, that he wants to invent a new fighting style. Or to attack with all his might, possibly sacrificing accuary. Or that he wants to make a spell that amkes other spells last longer. Or anything, really. Of course, having all those feats tell you about all those possibilities, some of which you probably wouldn't think yourself. But the problem now is that the possibilities are now all about character building, rather than context.

(...snip)
No, this is untrue. 4th Edition actively blocks you, 3.5 does not.

Sure, sorry for being unclear here. My point is that you can change any system to fit your needs, but if I do that with 3.5, it feels like I am throwing away all the points that 3e did.

And even if it did, there would be other systems better suited to your needs that AD&D, with less arbitrary complexity that you don't use anyway.

Sure, but I find the systems I prefer to be a far cry from D&D 3e. And closer in spirit to 2e or 1e or BECMI. One of my favorites right now is Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG. My only issues with that system is how it limits the number of spells a wizard can learn (I men, you could just go and limit the number of magic weapons a fighter could have too) and its fighter deeds examples. Don't get me wrong, the fighter deeds system is a pretty cool way of allowing the PCs to do all that stuff I listed earlier. But the examples it gives are too concerned in trying to assign a power level to a success level, whereas I think context should be a much more important feature in here.

This point can be expanded upon using this false statement:

You are inventing and re-directing the rules just as much in 2E as you would be in 3E here. There is no difference. Literally. None. I run a campaign right now doing exactly what you are describing.

The issue is that the rules in earlier editions, specially of old D&D, don't presuppose to tell you all there is about how characters learn skills, or become better magicians, or how they can change throughout the years. In 3e, there is a lot of effort to make sure that level is a good measure of a character's power, and any rule that subverts this is going against the spirit of the system. A half-giant character that earns twice as much HP as others is a good example of this. Allowing such character in 3e would go against a whole lot of what 3e is about, whereas the character could work fine iwth most of the rules in 2e.

By the way, I can, of course, understand we come from different viewpoints. It is perfectly reasonable that you would lik pathfinder a whole lot while I would much rather play 2e. But I do find it intriguing that you would run a campaign like the ones I like to play using that system. About the only thing I can think that I would prefer from Pathfinder is the saving throws system. To me,2e, and s crazy, even if sometimes nonsensical, rulings would give me a lot more fuel for making up my own stuff in the game, whereas I can't think of anything I would take from 3e to do that (at least that wasn't in 2e first). What were the most important features you took from 3e? By the way, good look with your uni stuff, and sorry for distracting you.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sure, but I find the systems I prefer to be a far cry from D&D 3e.

Yeah, so? I didn't say "play 3E" I said "stop talking about AD&D as if it was a good system, start playing other, better systems." There are plenty of systems that fit your needs without AD&D arbitrary and overly complex bullshit.

The issue is that the rules in earlier editions, specially of old D&D, don't presuppose to tell you all there is about how characters learn skills, or become better magicians, or how they can change throughout the years. In 3e, there is a lot of effort to make sure that level is a good measure of a character's power, and any rule that subverts this is going against the spirit of the system.

I have no idea what you base this on, but it is untrue. I'd even go as far as say that 2E is worse at this than 3E.

Seems to me more and more that you project your "sense" of the system into it as though it was an asset of the systems. There is nothing in 3E that hinders your freedom or freeform more than in 2E.

Alex

Arcane
Sure, but I find the systems I prefer to be a far cry from D&D 3e.

Yeah, so? I didn't say "play 3E" I said "stop talking about AD&D as if it was a good system, start playing other, better systems."

Yeah, my point is was that it is more of a far cry from 3e than from 2e or 1e.

There are plenty of systems that fit your needs without AD&D arbitrary and overly complex bullshit.

But I like a lot of that "bullshit". I might not let it in in my own games, but that would be because I would be making my own brand of overly complex bullshit.

The issue is that the rules in earlier editions, specially of old D&D, don't presuppose to tell you all there is about how characters learn skills, or become better magicians, or how they can change throughout the years. In 3e, there is a lot of effort to make sure that level is a good measure of a character's power, and any rule that subverts this is going against the spirit of the system.

I have no idea what you base this on, but it is untrue. I'd even go as far as say that 2E is worse at this than 3E.

If you say so. Still, I have seen much more people willing to mess and break 2e's system than 3e's. I men, of course there is a ton of homebrew stuff for 3e, but most of the time, people who make those seem to want to follow the philosophical directives of how levels work. That doesn't men you can't do it, or that doing it would be worse in 3e. It just means that it is not the kind of culture I associate with 3e.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Well, about as much as they are supported by 2e. Except in 2e I don't feel half of the rules are in there exactly to prevent this kind of thing.

I don't need 10s of pages. All I need is for a player to decide, on the spur of the moment, that he wants to invent a new fighting style. Or to attack with all his might, possibly sacrificing accuary. Or that he wants to make a spell that amkes other spells last longer. Or anything, really. Of course, having all those feats tell you about all those possibilities, some of which you probably wouldn't think yourself. But the problem now is that the possibilities are now all about character building, rather than context.
If you want to just invent rules on the fly, all editions of DnD up to 3.5 are about the same. The advantage of 3/3.5/Pathfinder is how much stuff is built in so you don't have to houserule every little thing.

Using your example, if a character wants to make that attack and doesn't have the power attack feat, you could quickly rule that he has an addition -2 to hit since he's untrained. Nothing is lost, and speed and structure is gained.

You're basically saying you don't like structure, but every edition of DnD I've played has been highly structured, you just made rules on the fly to do what you want.

Grunker is right, I don't think DnD is the game you're looking for, certainly, ADnD isn't better about any of your examples compared to 3E.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom