Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Project Eternity Interview @ Irontower

Hormalakh

Magister
So this whole interview and something else that Sawyer said on SomethingAwful way back in September got me thinking about his high-level design philosophy. I'm not a game dev or anything but I was actually interested in hearing what some of you have to say about my thoughts on his design ideology. It's a long post and all, but for some Godawful reason I want to know what you guys think (the ones that don't read the Obsidian threads.) I guess I'm itching for a fight.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62969-sawyerism-and-high-level-design/

Start the rage. :mob:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good post. :bro: I suggest you crosspost it somewhere on the Codex.

Hormalakh

Magister
I figured I did that with the previous post. I don't like double posting like a retard all over the internet. I provided a link, let me know if you guys can't access Obsidian's forum and I'll post it here.

Hormalakh

Magister
I did. I still didn't understand it. Sometimes that happens with written works. You don't understand what the intended meaning was. The XdY also wasn't explained. I never thought to look it up online then...It was before google. The point still stands though, a lot of the concepts aren't taught in game. You know about them from PnP.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It is explained on the manual, also on the attack roll section. Here:

1284189-QU28SPZ.jpg

And that isn't the only mention of dice notation, you have more on the class section with the different hit dice, etc. From that point you should have already inferred that XdY means X dice of Y sides, otherwise, well...

Hormalakh

Magister
I lost all my post, but oh well... Firstly the previous section talks about THAC0 as well, you're right. I just looked at the manual, but do you notice how confusing it can be for someone who has absolutely no experience in D&D? I might have inferred that a d20 is a twenty-sided die, but what about 5d4? Is that 5 dice with 4 sides or 4 dice with 5 sides? And having to actually remember all of this while playing the game? honestly, for a while since all I saw was 1d10 or 1d8 I thought it meant hit damage of 1-8. Then 2d4 meant 2-4. So I always picked the 1d8 over the 2d4 weapons. :retarded:

It's a lot for anyone to take in the first time they play the game, especially if they've just loaded up the game and want to get right to it. RTFM works for a lot of people, but some people just can't read. Let me ask you: did you have prior experience in PnP before playing any computer-based D&D games?

But yes, conceded. At age 15, I was :retarded:.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
"Proper" RPGs always require a decent ability to grasp different concepts, either intuitively, by playing, or by reading wordy manuals. They are not shooters where all you need is to aim.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's a lot for anyone to take in the first time they play the game, especially if they've just loaded up the game and want to get right to it.
That's the key right here. It wasn't entirely necessary, but it was expected that you read the documentation before or during play.

Hormalakh

Magister
I don't at all support the :decline: of RPGs by making them easier/less challenging. Reading my posts, sometimes I'm afraid that I sound that way. I want this stuff to be tactically challenging and a head-scratcher. It's just that initial learning curve can be steep for a lot of people and leads to degenerate playing. My biggest fear is, in fact, that because other gamers do not RTFM or wish to jump in and fight the learning curve, that developers will conceed. They will see that people aren't paying attention and that they, the developers, are doing something wrong. This is how Josh felt after the tester couldn't see to buff. When it came to hiding dialogue options because they wouldn't contain [tags] like [Speech] he said this:

They'll be turned off in Expert mode and if you select an option in other modes. Personally, I think it stinks to high heaven and obfuscates what's going on, but it's no skin off my nose.

I feel that these are because the developers really have seen some shitty gameplay and want to build around it. I mean people were complaining that Brennecke, a game dev AT OBSIDIAN, was playing shitty during his let's play because he didn't know what he was doing in IWDII. This will lead to decline.

yes, I know I should RTFM and when I play a new game I do. Especially one as mechanically challenging as an RPG. And this is a sort of plea to developers to not ruin gameplay by making it easier. I don't want that. Instead, I think that maybe some mechanics concepts being taught in-game can also be done. There are different learning-styles afterall.

Sawyer from SA forum:
I think many of you would be blown away by how often players will look directly at a description of an option, pause, seem to analyze it, and then select it without putting 2 and 2 together until much later.

When that happens and the error results in, let's say, ~15 minutes of lost time, as a designer I go, "Hey dummy, pay attention." When that happens and the error goes unnoticed for 5... 10... 20 hours, the problem is so far in the past that I would rather just sigh and slide an emergency exit button toward them.

As a non-system-related example, in Fallout: New Vegas, we pop up a message box before the end of the game. It says (paraphrased) HEY MAN THIS IS THE END OF THE GAME. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP PLAYING, YOU SHOULD NOT START THIS. BECAUSE IT IS THE END. AND THE GAME WILL BE OVER. Even so, a huge number of people missed it or claimed to have missed it, so we later had to hard-code in an extra auto-save game at that point.

I could take some sort of grumpy tough-guy attitude and say "Well, tough poo poo," but I don't think that's beneficial to me or the player.

Edit: At the same time I read that last quote from Sawyer and start to believe Cleve about the manboons... God, we've become a nation of ADD manboons.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't design for the manboons, design for us Sawyer.
I thought that's what this was about.

Hormalakh

Magister
Yeah...it was. But even in the non-manboons, we have ex-manboons and manboons-in-hiding...

Rake

Arcane
The problem is that Obsidian can't survive without the manboons.Also for ten years now Sawyer designes game for the manboons and watches how they play them.I'm afraid that has affected his design approach.
Hormalakh's proposal is for the start of the game to teach the manboons-in-hiding how to think like evolved beings again. I thought it was a good idea,until i read in the Bethseda's forums and i lost all hope it can be done.Most of them will not appreciate it.Nothing can make the people Sawyer describes in his comment RTFM if they cant read a message that pops in front of their faces midgame.

Hormalakh

Magister
Yeah...I'm unfortunately coming to this same conclusion myself. Good honest RPGs will never be made, because they require an IQ level that most unfortunately do not have. Just as these people fail in life, they would fail in an honest-to-God RPG.

Ideas must be forged in the nerdfires of the Codex, and shaped to swords with which we can fight off this decline. And yet the decline will continue to overwhelm us...

Tigranes

Arcane
It's precisely why RPGs should become a low-graphics, small-team semi-indie industry.

Alex

Arcane
When you control a chess-team, you control 8 pawns beyond all the other shit. When you P&P a fighter, you control that guy. All you will ever do is perfom the functions of a pawn.

I have seen AD&D fighters use all kinds of maneuvers. Here is some stuff I have either seen or heard about:

1. Standing under a wooden drawbridge with a few holes, so he could attack the soft underbelly of a giant lizard.
  2. In a similar vein, getting swallowed whole by a giant goad so he could attack it from inside (a risky one, to be sure, but turned out to be very effective).
  3. Using the backwards spike of a polearm (I forgot the name) to draw in a lizard man that was pelting the party with slingshots.
  4. Falling down on an enemy with a polearm and using the weapon to propel himself forward, avoiding damage and causing his falling damage on his enemy (the player had played way too much Final Fantasy Tactics. This didn't work anywhere nearly so well the second time around, though).
  5. Using a few magic spears that could go through the ground effortlessly to hit the limbs of a hydra, pinning it into place.
  6. Coating their weapons with different sorts of poison, making it have all kinds of different effects.
  7. Swinging from a chandelier onto the back of ajuggernaut, where it couldn't reach him (he eventually got thrown out, but managed to do a lot of damage).
  8. Stabbing a beholder on its main eye, finally dealing with its anti-magic power.
  9. Distracting an opponent with false strikes, lowering his AC for the other PCs to attack him.
  10. Using all sorts of dirty tricks, like throwing sand on their eyes, sweeping kicking them so they fall on their butts, using an illusion to conceal their true fighting moves (this one needed an MU, but the warrior was the one dealing the damage), throwing oil on their feet so they slipusing a hidden dagger to cut them during their parry, etc.
  11. Throwing a bomb into the dragon's gullet just as it is about to flame breath, causing the creature's neck to explode and its head to fall several feet away.
  12. Inventing a fighting style that looks like a dance, and thus being able to keep fighting against some kind of annoying fey (I forgot which, brownies maybe) and tarantella who would make the character dance unable to help himself otherwise.
  13. All kinds of troop dealing stuff once they get to 11th level and get a keep. Training the soldiers, coming upt with ploys and leading the armies.
It is true you don't need to be a fighter to do any of these. In fact, I have seen thieves use some of these just as well, if not better than warriors. But still, a reasonable GM is going to base the chances of all this on the character's THAC0 and his attributes, and thus fighters are advantaged when doing these.

You will almost never have tactical depth, unless you don't play by the rules of course and makes shit up as you go (which many P&P tables do, which is cool), but that's not relevant to this discussion.

Well, but that is the whole point of playing earlier editions. To make shit up. On the fly. To come up with cool ideas and then testing them against the situation at hand. Of course, if you play P&P D&D character like you played a fighter in a gold box game, it isn't going to be much fun, as all your tactics is in placement, and the game doesn't have rules that are very fair in that regard.But there are lots of interesting things you can make with older editions fighters. Some of these at least could be transferred to CRPGs as puzzles and elements in combats you can try to use in your favor.

Like the drawbridge example. If there is a drawbridge and you manage to position a monster over it with your char underneath, you get to attack against a much worse AC. You could still do these things in a more restricted game like D&D 4e, but I can't see that really working without shooting balance to hell. Well, unless you decide to simply give the PC a +2 or something to his attack if his plan succeeds, no matter what. But that is really boring, and misses the whole point of doing all this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The fighting game analogy is interesting, but I don't think it makes the point you want it to make. The ideal is to make characters that are equally strong with powerful interesting abilities and diverse strengths and weaknesses, but it never actually works out that way since these two goals are obviously in conflict. Every version of street fighter has characters who are uncontroversially better than others, and there's no obvious relationship between how balanced a game is and how popular it becomes. People are generally ok with a game having stuff that is stronger than other stuff, as long as it's not so strong as to make the game trivial and boring. This is going to be doubly true for RPGs, apart from the fact that they aren't competitive games they're also not games about repeating a single fixed scenario.
I think the fighting game analogy falls apart for another reason.

When you choose a character in a fighting game, you are stuck using him/her for 4-5 minutes. If that character sucks or doesn't suit your style, it's no big deal because you're done using him before you can blink.

If you pick a weak class in a long cRPG, you could be stuck using them for 40-50 hours. Not only that, but it could not become apparent what classes are strong or weak until well into the game. This actually happened to me with Dragon Age where I went for a sword and shield build and found out it is the most useless boring character to play. At that point I was well into the game and just kept going, but it sucked.

Also, the fighting game idea is not for every character to be balanced. They make some characters bad on purpose because it can be fun to give oneself a handicap.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I lost all my post, but oh well... Firstly the previous section talks about THAC0 as well, you're right. I just looked at the manual, but do you notice how confusing it can be for someone who has absolutely no experience in D&D? I might have inferred that a d20 is a twenty-sided die, but what about 5d4? Is that 5 dice with 4 sides or 4 dice with 5 sides? And having to actually remember all of this while playing the game? honestly, for a while since all I saw was 1d10 or 1d8 I thought it meant hit damage of 1-8. Then 2d4 meant 2-4. So I always picked the 1d8 over the 2d4 weapons. :retarded:

It's a lot for anyone to take in the first time they play the game, especially if they've just loaded up the game and want to get right to it. RTFM works for a lot of people, but some people just can't read. Let me ask you: did you have prior experience in PnP before playing any computer-based D&D games?

This boggles the mind. What did you think the d was there for? Did you think it stood for damage? Did you wonder why it was in the middle of two digits?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Starcraft - multiplayer game
Street Fighter - multiplayer game
World of Warcraft - multiplayer game
P&P - multiplayer game
Class balance is important in those.

But in my single player rpg I don't give a fuck that the mage character can kick the fighter character's ass at high level. Why would I ? Would it hurt its "little feelings" ? Fags. Jackass liberal fags. You give them a game and they want a system. Hipster douchebag pretencious arrogant assholes like Sawyer ruining a perfectly good obsidian game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Alex, ColCol, Excidium and Esquilax:

When you control a chess-team, you control 8 pawns beyond all the other shit. When you P&P a fighter, you control that guy. All you will ever do is perfom the functions of a pawn.

I have seen AD&D fighters use all kinds of maneuvers. Here is some stuff I have either seen or heard about:

1. Standing under a wooden drawbridge with a few holes, so he could attack the soft underbelly of a giant lizard.
  2. In a similar vein, getting swallowed whole by a giant goad so he could attack it from inside (a risky one, to be sure, but turned out to be very effective).
  3. Using the backwards spike of a polearm (I forgot the name) to draw in a lizard man that was pelting the party with slingshots.
  4. Falling down on an enemy with a polearm and using the weapon to propel himself forward, avoiding damage and causing his falling damage on his enemy (the player had played way too much Final Fantasy Tactics. This didn't work anywhere nearly so well the second time around, though).
  5. Using a few magic spears that could go through the ground effortlessly to hit the limbs of a hydra, pinning it into place.
  6. Coating their weapons with different sorts of poison, making it have all kinds of different effects.
  7. Swinging from a chandelier onto the back of ajuggernaut, where it couldn't reach him (he eventually got thrown out, but managed to do a lot of damage).
  8. Stabbing a beholder on its main eye, finally dealing with its anti-magic power.
  9. Distracting an opponent with false strikes, lowering his AC for the other PCs to attack him.
  10. Using all sorts of dirty tricks, like throwing sand on their eyes, sweeping kicking them so they fall on their butts, using an illusion to conceal their true fighting moves (this one needed an MU, but the warrior was the one dealing the damage), throwing oil on their feet so they slipusing a hidden dagger to cut them during their parry, etc.
  11. Throwing a bomb into the dragon's gullet just as it is about to flame breath, causing the creature's neck to explode and its head to fall several feet away.
  12. Inventing a fighting style that looks like a dance, and thus being able to keep fighting against some kind of annoying fey (I forgot which, brownies maybe) and tarantella who would make the character dance unable to help himself otherwise.
  13. All kinds of troop dealing stuff once they get to 11th level and get a keep. Training the soldiers, coming upt with ploys and leading the armies.

I see you (deliberately?) missed the rest of the discussion. This is ALL stuff that deeper, tactical classes could do as well. Most of what you describe is PRECISELY what I took into account by writing this:

You will almost never have tactical depth, unless you don't play by the rules of course and makes shit up as you go (which many P&P tables do, which is cool)

For example, throwing a bomb into the dragon's gullet. You could have been playing any class ever - it says nothing about the design of the class. I realize you like AD&D Alex, and you're welcome to it, but that list is pretty much walking dead into my argument.

Well, but that is the whole point of playing earlier editions. To make shit up. On the fly. To come up with cool ideas and then testing them against the situation at hand. Of course, if you play P&P D&D character like you played a fighter in a gold box game, it isn't going to be much fun, as all your tactics is in placement, and the game doesn't have rules that are very fair in that regard.But there are lots of interesting things you can make with older editions fighters. Some of these at least could be transferred to CRPGs as puzzles and elements in combats you can try to use in your favor.

:notsureifserious:

Bullshit, Alex. You are the one who for some reason made up a world where the absence of rules (or indeed, the absence of rules other than AD and fucking D) is needed for this kind of stuff. I have told you many times before how many campaigns I play in and DM that utilize these exact mechanics. That does not excuse the fighter in AD&D.

"Oh, but Grunker" you argue, "I like minimal rules when making shit up on the fly!" Oh shit... wait... you actually have a point... but... Then why the FUCK are you playing AD&D? One of the absolute best examples of how shitty that system is the level of complexity you need to understand and the number of completely different and arbitrary table-based systems you need to know at least superficially to play a guy who, by RAW, is not allowed to do much more than swing sharp objects at things. That, is hilarious. AD&D is not a simple system, yet it has classes that are shallow. There are much better simplistic systems out there.

"Oh, but Grunker" you contrinue, "maybe some players like complexity and some like simplicity!" OK. Fair enough. How lucky that Pathfinder's fighter can be played fucking blind-folded too, huh? There's also many other fantasy systems that provide this much, much better than AD&D which require the poor simplicity-liking player to understand the arbitrary piece of fuck that is AD&D. You're not saying "to make shit up, we need minimal mechanics," you're literally saying "too make shit up I need this set of bad mechanics!"

You could still do these things in a more restricted game like D&D 4e, but I can't see that really working without shooting balance to hell.

Funny, you using 4E as an example, seeing as I've stated in multiple threads, multiple times how I dislike that system, particularly because it goes out of its way to block shit like this. I do, however, like 3.5 and Pathfinder, systems where stuff like what you mention is more than possible.
Summa summarum: You like AD&D, and I really have no problems with that, but your arguments of placing it descriptively above 3.5 et al are arbitrary and irrational. I've told you these things before, and I'm fairly surprised I have to listen to the same arguments again. AD&D is arbitrary, it's a mess, and it was designed without an overarching goal. It isn't even a system in a sense that a system is a coherent set of rules that are all tied to the same core. I love it to death anyway and often play it, since it is the system I played the most as a kid without a doubt, but when taking time to consider what makes a good system and what we should strive for in the future, AD&D is the very anti-thesis to that.

Let's end it on a consolidary note, since the two of us so often have this debate: I hope, and I believe there is a slight chance from what we've seen so far, that Next can unite us all :love:. I sincerely hope a generally clever and smart guy like yourself, you irrational like of AD&D not withstanding, is giving them feedback during the BETA.

ColCol

Arcane
Why was I tagged Grunker? I wasn't (I think) even part of this conversation. Good points though.

Hormalakh

Magister

This boggles the mind. What did you think the d was there for? Did you think it stood for damage? Did you wonder why it was in the middle of two digits?
I did think it stood for damage and why it was in the middle of two digits. I couldn't for the life of me figure that out. It was mind-boggling to me and I had nobody to ask - no one else in my family is even remotely interested in P&P like I am. I was in a different mindset because I had always seen 1-4 or 1-10 but I had never played a dice-based game. I saw "dice, dice dice" everywhere in the manual, but I wasn't playing dice-based games. My first RPGs were always games like Might and Magic and they didn't use dice-based notation. It's hard to move out of an already established mindset and move into a new one. Especially if you're a manboon at 15.

Hormalakh

Magister
Starcraft - multiplayer game
Street Fighter - multiplayer game
World of Warcraft - multiplayer game
P&P - multiplayer game
Class balance is important in those.

But in my single player rpg I don't give a fuck that the mage character can kick the fighter character's ass at high level. Why would I ? Would it hurt its "little feelings" ? Fags. Jackass liberal fags. You give them a game and they want a system. Hipster douchebag pretencious arrogant assholes like Sawyer ruining a perfectly good obsidian game.

Because, you supposed "conservative" fag, balance allows for replay value and non-gimmicky characters to be made and to be viable options in future gameplays. Or maybe someone else wants to try a character that isn't a mage. Why the hell should you be the one who dictates which characters are OP and which aren't? Do you have some sort of brain that just "knows" what everyone will enjoy or are you just another dipshit trying to make sure his little 6 pixel chracter is "the bestest" in the whole wide world?

The whole point of a god-damn RPG is to have VIABLE CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES. If I wanted to play a game where the fucking mage is the only fucking option, I'd play a god-damn adventure game. Get your shit straight.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I see what you are saying but in so-called unbalanced AD&D RPGs being a Fighter or Druid is just as viable as being a mage. I have solo'd BG 2 with pretty much every character and to me the replay value didn't come from balance (which'd mean the game would have been the same difficulty) but rather the challenge that different character classes provided. My favorite runs were Inquisitor, Cavalier, Swashbuckler, Assassin and Jester and Skald - by no means extremely powerful, especially the latter.

But having to adapt to the different power level and the new tactics that came with that give that game life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom