Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #24: Life and Death in the Dyrwood, CD Soundtrack

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually, the next level is already in (no update on the image yet, though). And I don't know if they count the PayPal backers for this. I think they don't.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A stamina bar would allow you to combine short-term cooldowns for minor abilities (like, uh, Knockdown or relatively low-level spells that aren't very useful anymore, but can still help) with attrition. It basically solves the attrition vs fresh start every fight problem because it provides a limit to your cooldowns or the damage you can take. It'll lead to harder, more satisfying encounters if implemented right. You still have attrition: health. Ideally, in such a system, spells would start to cost health once you're out of stamina, or simply not function at all.

But there's a chance for the horror scenario if the numbers are tweaked the wrong, I can admit as much.

Uh oh.

Stamina is your SHIELD for health. It is health except just on regen. You can't be harmed without depleting stamina first.
This entire statement is wrong, as Sawyer clarified that health can be damaged when you have stamina.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only real thing that matter is the PCs can die. That is simply awesome, but I would like to know how it will impact encounter design.
...what?

Obsidian said:
Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.

True, they said this is available only in expert mode, but even the maiming thing may be seruous shit enough for them to actually work on encounter design.

I hope so. DA:O's maiming was pretty weak. Holy fuck, my guy just dropped dead... no he's getting back up but he has a broken arm... and I have nearly infinite medical kits so I can get rid of it right away... but even if I didn't the penalties are nearly unnoticeable anyway until you start stacking them up (and if your guys died that much you should probably pick up another hobby). It'd be nice if death went back to actually meaning something significant, even if death is replaced with some form of maiming/critical injury.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've lost control of my life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom