Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #37: Swimming in Money Edition

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The worst thing is: i realize they do it to cater to twelve years old kids, and it makes me feel like i completely misunderstood their scope and ideas, and i financed a game for kids. When did this kind of PR stuff become mainstream?
Adam Brennecke is a programmer, not a PR representative (this is what happens when there's no publisher to handle these things). He also doesn't have much influence on the content of the game itself.

Wait, what? You'd rather have some smarmy marketing weasel selling you lies to your face?

Adam is the best and you guys who don't get him or his sense of humor take yourselves too seriously. He's probably one of you guys' biggest supporters - well, at least for your more rational game desires.

I'm not questioning the guy, i don't even know him. I'm saying that all this kind of forced silly humour makes me sad. HEI GUISE EVEN DEVELOPERS GET SICK WE ARE NOT ALWAYS THE SUPERHUMANS DIVINE BEING THAT YOU WORSHIP AM I FUN OR WHAT.

And no, i don't want a marketing weasel. I want someone to tell me "this is what we want to do because this is in our opinion and experience the best option, the most fun, which will make your gaming experience anjoyable and challenging, sorry if you were expecting a diablo-like clickfest, this is a rpg and you'll have to play a rpg, this is our design and this is how we make things, because we are professionals who do this as a job"

HEY GUISE DEVELOPERS GET SICK TOO SEE HOW CLOSE TO YOU I AM WE COULD BE BUDDIES WE CARE ABOUT YOU BUY OUR GAME

Here is the reality, December is the slowest month of the year in game development. Sickness and holidays and time off reduce the entire month to about one to two weeks of productivity, if you are lucky. Adam is basically saying that, although it is through his lense of "diplomacy" or whatever you want to call it when addressing thousands of fans that are looking for information.

...and as for what you want, there have been plenty pf updates prior to this that have done just that.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
...and as for what you want, there have been plenty pf updates prior to this that have done just that.

Right, fair enough, it's just that what i thought was: hey, good idea appealing to people who played IE games years ago, who are now grown ups and have disposable income and are looking for something that's not a retarded bethesda pseudo-rpg.

Which is why i shelled out WAY more money that i'd usually spend on a game.

When i see this kind of catering to the market of WOW kids, it just makes me think that maybe i got it all wrong.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Right, fair enough, it's just that what i thought was: hey, good idea appealing to people who played IE games years ago, who are now grown ups and have disposable income and are looking for something that's not a retarded bethesda pseudo-rpg.

When i see this kind of catering to the market of WOW kids, it just makes me think that maybe i got it all wrong.

I shelled out a lot of money too, for this, WL2, and Double Fine.

Josh does not like nor is he trying to make WoW. If you are concerned about the game I suggest, like I have always done, go to the forums to post. Be polite but constructive and most importantly, be vigilant.

It's like politics man, you have to be involved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh does not like nor is he trying to make WoW. If you are concerned about the game I suggest, like I have always done, go to the forums to post. Be polite but constructive and most importantly, be vigilant.

Anthony, what do you think of our tactic of pestering Josh with questions on his Formspring account and then having discussions/flamewars about his responses in our Project Eternity megathread? ;)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Anthony, what do you think of our tactic of pestering Josh with questions on his Formspring account and then having discussions/flamewars about his responses in our Project Eternity megathread? ;)

All for it.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

i respectfully disagree. while politics DOES involve all of us, i consider game making more like architecture, or the making of a painting, etc.
I am the "artist" (or game designer, or whatnot), and i have the expertise and knowledge and i know how to make stuff work. Your input can be interesting, sure, but i don't have to listen to your uninformed take on the matter: just because you think this is fun, it doesn't mean this is how i think it should be done.

WOW IS AWESOME MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE DEPENDENT ON GEAR TOO

And they did
and it's shit
just like WOW today (yes, i played it for a while, when it was vanilla and it was fun)
because they started catering to idiots
not casual gamers, i'm a casual myself and i get it, you want the game to be accessible by people who only have a few hours to play each week or month
but when you start catering to idiots who think that farming is fun, then you become like an architect who actually did what that guy with no knowledge of engeneering told him to do, and the house crumbled.
You're a game programmer. Your job is to create games, and make them good. Don't even read the bloody forums, do what you know to do. If it bombs, learn from your mistakes. Don't cater to retards, they're retards, send out the marketing weasels and they'll buy your game with their dad's credit card anyway. Because they're retards. Look at Fallout 3. People actually bought it. Look at Oblivion. It's factually impossible to make worst games than those. And they sold a lot. Because young people are stupid. I know, i was young myself once. And really stupid.

But then again, it's all opinions i guess so no point arguing over them...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

i respectfully disagree. while politics DOES involve all of us, i consider game making more like architecture, or the making of a painting, etc.
I am the "artist" (or game designer, or whatnot), and i have the expertise and knowledge and i know how to make stuff work. Your input can be interesting, sure, but i don't have to listen to your uninformed take on the matter: just because you think this is fun, it doesn't mean this is how i think it should be done.

WOW IS AWESOME MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE DEPENDENT ON GEAR TOO

And they did
and it's shit
just like WOW today (yes, i played it for a while, when it was vanilla and it was fun)
because they started catering to idiots
not casual gamers, i'm a casual myself and i get it, you want the game to be accessible by people who only have a few hours to play each week or month
but when you start catering to idiots who think that farming is fun, then you become like an architect who actually did what that guy with no knowledge of engeneering told him to do, and the house crumbled.
You're a game programmer. Your job is to create games, and make them good. Don't even read the bloody forums, do what you know to do. If it bombs, learn from your mistakes. Don't cater to retards, they're retards, send out the marketing weasels and they'll buy your game with their dad's credit card anyway. Because they're retards. Look at Fallout 3. People actually bought it. Look at Oblivion. It's factually impossible to make worst games than those. And they sold a lot. Because young people are stupid. I know, i was young myself once. And really stupid.

But then again, it's all opinions i guess so no point arguing over them...

What I meant was be a voice for sanity. If someone is over at the forums making a lot of noise arguing for some inane feature that is going to speed the decline, you should try to be convincing to the rest of the community why that feature is a bad idea and won't add to the game and may in fact, make it worse. Remember, you can't get work spent on mistakes BACK. Creating negative work will kill a game. Helping point that out can be very helpful.

My fear is that much of any community is sheeple and they start getting behind some wacko idea like "WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ROMANCE ANYONE AND ANYTHING IN THE GAME! DO IT OR I WONT BUY IT!" Lucky for me as long as Josh is in charge, romancing anyone and everything is unlikely. Too many romance nerds out there.

But, your point stands.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
The joke about developers getting sick is for fans who want them to work 24/7 around the clock the make the game faster.

Hormalakh

Magister
honestly, I'd have to disagree with idonthavetime... you paid for a mature game, yes, but you didn't pay for a "serious" development coverage. if the devs like to act fun and childish, why do you much care? let them act like themselves. i'm sorry everyone doesn't think making games is "serious business" like you do, but really you can only complain at the end of the development cycle when the game comes out.

Guys like Nesler and Brennecke have to deal with some shitty people who expect to be treated like kings and queens. I don't think they are the problem, they're just trying to cope the best they can with these shitty people.

It seems the whole games industry needs to grow up a little anyway, from the journos to the end-users. Once everyone starts acting like adults then we can ask our devs to start treating us like one.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
honestly, I'd have to disagree with idonthavetime... you paid for a mature game, yes, but you didn't pay for a "serious" development coverage. if the devs like to act fun and childish, why do you much care? let them act like themselves. i'm sorry everyone doesn't think making games is "serious business" like you do, but really you can only complain at the end of the development cycle when the game comes out.

Guys like Nesler and Brennecke have to deal with some shitty people who expect to be treated like kings and queens. I don't think they are the problem, they're just trying to cope the best they can with these shitty people.

It seems the whole games industry needs to grow up a little anyway, from the journos to the end-users. Once everyone starts acting like adults then we can ask our devs to start treating us like one.

i already explained this. Because if they act childishly, i get the idea that they are catering to children. it's really that easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom