Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #4: DRM Free Option, Beta Access, New Digital Tiers

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder if EA's Origin will also be a download option (like Wasteland 2 is)?

:troll:
With the whole free for 90 days initiative it would be silly not to sell on Origin as well.

You know That's right. I had forgotten about that. :lol: Will that still be available in 2014 though?

So, there is no DRM now is that what they're saying or is it only for Kickstarters?
Sounds like you can buy the game on GoG or Steam when it comes out.
You will probably be able to buy the game pretty much anywhere once it's released; the reason why some people hesitated to pledge was related strictly to the platform used to distribute the game to Kickstarter supporters. Hence, from Obsidian's point of view, it was most probably never a question of whether or not they are willing to provide a DRM-free version of the game at some point, but rather of whether there was a painless and robust way of getting it to a large number of people without having to spend money on their own distribution solution (and the related bandwidth, likely a far from trivial item unless you're a dedicated digital store like Steam or GOG).

Cynic

Arcane
So can someone confirm, if I pledge $25 now let's say, can I get the game DRM free? Or is this going to be a new tier level that get's announced later?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
20$ is the minim pledge for a Digital Download copy. Of which they are currently sold out. But you can pledge that when Paypal becomes available.

Is reading really that hard? ;)

kazgar

Arcane
I thought once the $20 was done, its done, I don't think they'll be allowing more $20, as it was a early bird special?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don'y know We'll have to wait for when they add the Paypal option. But yeah I assume the 20$ wont be an option. As it was more an early bird special.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, the $20 is the same as the $25 just a $5 savings to get in early.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
So can someone confirm, if I pledge $25 now let's say, can I get the game DRM free? Or is this going to be a new tier level that get's announced later?
When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam.
You get to choose, regardless of tier. I'm assuming you're not a Mac-fag (GOG is Windows only).

Cynic

Arcane
20$ is the minim pledge for a Digital Download copy. Of which they are currently sold out. But you can pledge that when Paypal becomes available.

Is reading really that hard? ;)

Just wasn't clear to me that all digital copies would now be DRM, that's all.

I am not a Mac-fag, but my girl is in the deathly grip of iShit and I cannot save her. If there's a tier where I can get two copies, and choose the platform for each that would be sweet.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought once the $20 was done, its done, I don't think they'll be allowing more $20, as it was a early bird special?

If people upgrade their pledge it will open up a slot at $20, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Howard

Novice
Hey guys, I"m planning to back this project but I have a problem. I want the Collector's Book but it's in the $250 tier which is out of my budget. I sent Obsidian a message proposing to swap the t-shirt with the Collector's Book in the $140 tier. If you're interested in this kind of package, drop them a message supporting the swap to give more options for all of us who want the Collector's Book but have no need for the t-shirt or the signed Collector's Box in the $250 tier.

Thanks guys, Codex rocks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If people upgrade their pledge it will open up a slot at $20, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good point. By limiting the twenty dollar slots, Obsidian have inadvertently encouraged people to hoard those slots and not upgrade. Because they're "exclusive".

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This update is serious. :incline: I won't be pledging any more than I already have, because I don't pay more than $30 for my video games. I just don't. But I will probably be looking to grab an additional boxed copy of the game after it is released and the price drops.

Howard

Novice
Don't care about the digital options myself, but it's good that they're providing additional (lucrative) options for those who aren't as enthusiastic about physical goodies.

I still think that people (read: myself) would be more inclined to pitch in for boxed copies if there were print materials in the ones below the $250 tier. Map aside, I'd feel horrible getting a nice big box for $60 and then realizing there's nothing inside it but a couple of DVDs. Probably not even a jewel case. It'd look completely idiotic.

They'd do well to at the very least include a printed version of the manual's contents in all boxed editions, rather than everything being bundled into the obscene "collector's book" which many people may not want in its entirety. Hell, if the setting, monster variety and gameplay ruleset are so extensive and profound that the materials have to be compiled into a "player's handbook" and a "monster manual" then why not just split them into separate books and give you an additional one per tier? Come on, I figured they'd be better at capitalizing on the whimsy than this.

I agree on your sentiments regarding printed materials below the $250 tier. I want the Collector's Book though. I wish they can create tier below $250 that includes the Collector's box and book together.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I love how Obsidian and their fanboys are trying to give them credit for games like Bg and Troika's works. BIo made Bg with BIS/INT just being publishers and there's MAYBE 5 Obsidianites including Cain who worked at Troika. L0L Not to mention the number of Obsidianites who worked at BIS is very likely a small percentage.

Still, that said, I look forward to this game because it has DWARVES!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom