Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #50: New FAQ, New Arcanum LP Season

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

For this week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update, Obsidian decided to provide a new FAQ for the game, due to increased interest after last week's prototype video. Most of it is familiar stuff, but there are some new details about the game's setting:

What are the different races we can play?

Players can select from six main races found in this part of the world: humans, elves, dwarves, orlans, aumaua, and godlike. Orlans, aumaua, and godlike are unique to the world of Project Eternity, though godlike have similarities to "planetouched" races in other settings. Orlans are small humanoids physically notable for their two-tone skin, extensive body hair, and extremely long ears. Aumaua are large, semiaquatic humanoids with a diverse array of skin patterns, elongated heads, and semi-webbed hands and feet.​

Godlike are not a separate race, but a phenomenon found among all races. They are individuals whom many people believe were transformed by the gods before birth. Godlike have distinctive appearances that invariably make them stand out from other people, with different cultures and individuals holding wildly different biases toward or against them.​

All of the races have different ethnicities from which the player can choose. For elves, Wood and Pale, for dwarves, Mountain and Boreal, for orlans, Hearth and Wild, and for aumaua, Island and Coastal. Humans have three ethnicities: Meadow, Ocean, and Savannah. Godlike can be found among any race and their appearance always sets them apart from their parents.​

How about the setting and story?

Project Eternity is set in a world created by Obsidian Entertainment, where mortal souls are bound to an eternal, and often mystifying, cycle of life and reincarnation believed to be watched over by the gods. Though cultures and individuals have different beliefs about the nature and purpose of this cycle, it is only recently that mortals have made significant advancements in understanding its fundamental mechanics through the science of animancy.​

The story takes place in a small nation in the world's southern hemisphere called the Dyrwood (DEER-wood). The Dyrwood is a heavily forested, coastal region where colonial powers from across the ocean have settled and formed an uneasy relationship with the local residents, tribes of orlans and elves who are protective of the ancient ruins of Eír Glanfath on the forest's interior. Eír Glanfath was an ancient melting pot of races that built elaborate, often massive, structures out of a living shell-like substance called adra. Though the fate of the ancient Glanfathans is unknown, their dangerous and complex ruins show evidence they possessed extensive knowledge of how souls work. For this reason, all of the surrounding colonial powers aggressively fight for the chance to explore and plunder Glanfathan structures, often bringing the local tribes into conflict with their relatively new neighbors -- and the neighbors into conflict with each other.​

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon. This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon them.​

The update also features the next "season" of Chris Avellone's Arcanum LP:

From now on, rather than filming long sessions in one sitting and uploading them in chunks over a period of several weeks, each season will be shorter to allow Chris to respond more quickly to viewer feedback.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. mrlutze Novice

mrlutze
    I didn't know they're going to have slow combat mode, did they talk about it before?

^ Top  
  3. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Oh, i know. I know what’s going on here. Mr. Avellone is trying very hard to make this playthrough shitty and boring and painful to watch, so that we ask him to stop. But screw this, i’ll keep watching and force you, Mr. Avellone, to endure the same grade of discomfort i am experiencing. We’ll see who folds first.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. EG Nullified

EG
    Chris Avellone hates playing games. :(

^ Top  
  5. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    It seems you do have time for that crap. :troll:

^ Top  
  6. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    MCA playing Arcanum in this video sounds like he's reading a hostage letter to his family.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

Needs more gender options. :obviously:

^ Top  
  8. AC Sleighter Novice

AC Sleighter
    Playing Arcanum for 20 minutes every 2 weeks? WTF?

This is the worst delivery of a stretch goal promise I've seen yet. If you can't spare an hour a week to play a game, then it never should have been offered up. I think a reasonable assumption would be to get through the game in less than 3 years.

And at the rate he plays, it's probably more like 6 or 7 years at 20 minutes / 2 weeks. 2 NPC conversations and 1 room in town explored in this 25 minute video. LOL

^ Top  
  9. Cosmic Misogynerd Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    Avellone promised to play Arcanum, but he never promised to finish it.

^ Top  
  10. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Edgy.

^ Top  
  11. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Why do you forget your own advice?

^ Top  
  12. EG Nullified

EG
    Don't you understand, guys? If it weren't for his Operations people he'd play the game in one go!

They're ruining our god!

^ Top  
  13. Sprout Educated

Sprout
    yeaaahhh, I think we should probably be fair with this and recognise that as a stretch goal it wasn't meant to be offered at the same level of seriousness as the others.
    It was more like a light hearted afterthought if nothing else, a fringe benefit for the stretch goal to be worked on as a small side project.

Also it's pretty evident that the reasonable assumption is correct and it won't take over 3 years. (or he might, what do I know? He might just be that bad ;) )
    They're still experimenting with this, I don't think it was meant to be taken literally that it'll always be like that.

^ Top  
  14. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I forgot to note this earlier, but the paragraph about DRM made me laugh because it feels very much like a response to the Shadowrun backlash. :)

^ Top  
  15. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    They never promised that MCA would complete Arcanum did they, only that he'd play it?

^ Top  
  16. Avantre Educated

Avantre
    Technically he covered the stretch goal with the very first video. They promised "at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum", they never promised he'd finish it or even play it for long.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He might have more time to play after PE's pre-production stage is complete.

^ Top  
  18. Cosmic Misogynerd Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    By the time the PE preproduction is finished, he will be in either a new Obsidian project, or Torment stuff, or another new Kickstarter where he is added as a stretch goal.

^ Top  
  19. EG Nullified

EG
    That's what the whips are for.

^ Top  
  20. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    He says he's going to complete it. He also says he's going to replay it.

^ Top  
  21. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    He has to play it 7 times.

cavellone.png

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    I actually want to go play Arcanum again now.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    I actually started playing it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. EG Nullified

EG
    It's worth it.

Though cheating to get all spells and levels immediately to see if things can be resolved differently is very disappointing. :(

^ Top  
  25. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Suddenly, we hear a sound from MCA's office:
    BANG

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.