Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #50: New FAQ, New Arcanum LP Season

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura; Chris Avellone; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

For this week's Project Eternity Kickstarter update, Obsidian decided to provide a new FAQ for the game, due to increased interest after last week's prototype video. Most of it is familiar stuff, but there are some new details about the game's setting:

What are the different races we can play?

Players can select from six main races found in this part of the world: humans, elves, dwarves, orlans, aumaua, and godlike. Orlans, aumaua, and godlike are unique to the world of Project Eternity, though godlike have similarities to "planetouched" races in other settings. Orlans are small humanoids physically notable for their two-tone skin, extensive body hair, and extremely long ears. Aumaua are large, semiaquatic humanoids with a diverse array of skin patterns, elongated heads, and semi-webbed hands and feet.​

Godlike are not a separate race, but a phenomenon found among all races. They are individuals whom many people believe were transformed by the gods before birth. Godlike have distinctive appearances that invariably make them stand out from other people, with different cultures and individuals holding wildly different biases toward or against them.​

All of the races have different ethnicities from which the player can choose. For elves, Wood and Pale, for dwarves, Mountain and Boreal, for orlans, Hearth and Wild, and for aumaua, Island and Coastal. Humans have three ethnicities: Meadow, Ocean, and Savannah. Godlike can be found among any race and their appearance always sets them apart from their parents.​

How about the setting and story?

Project Eternity is set in a world created by Obsidian Entertainment, where mortal souls are bound to an eternal, and often mystifying, cycle of life and reincarnation believed to be watched over by the gods. Though cultures and individuals have different beliefs about the nature and purpose of this cycle, it is only recently that mortals have made significant advancements in understanding its fundamental mechanics through the science of animancy.​

The story takes place in a small nation in the world's southern hemisphere called the Dyrwood (DEER-wood). The Dyrwood is a heavily forested, coastal region where colonial powers from across the ocean have settled and formed an uneasy relationship with the local residents, tribes of orlans and elves who are protective of the ancient ruins of Eír Glanfath on the forest's interior. Eír Glanfath was an ancient melting pot of races that built elaborate, often massive, structures out of a living shell-like substance called adra. Though the fate of the ancient Glanfathans is unknown, their dangerous and complex ruins show evidence they possessed extensive knowledge of how souls work. For this reason, all of the surrounding colonial powers aggressively fight for the chance to explore and plunder Glanfathan structures, often bringing the local tribes into conflict with their relatively new neighbors -- and the neighbors into conflict with each other.​

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon. This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon them.​

The update also features the next "season" of Chris Avellone's Arcanum LP:

From now on, rather than filming long sessions in one sitting and uploading them in chunks over a period of several weeks, each season will be shorter to allow Chris to respond more quickly to viewer feedback.

mrlutze

Novice
It will also feature a slow combat toggle that can be used with or in lieu of the pause feature. In slow combat, players can manage the flow of combat without needing to halt the game entirely.

I didn't know they're going to have slow combat mode, did they talk about it before?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Oh, i know. I know what’s going on here. Mr. Avellone is trying very hard to make this playthrough shitty and boring and painful to watch, so that we ask him to stop. But screw this, i’ll keep watching and force you, Mr. Avellone, to endure the same grade of discomfort i am experiencing. We’ll see who folds first.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Oh, i know. I know what’s going on here. Mr. Avellone is trying very hard to make this playthrough shitty and boring and painful to watch, so that we ask him to stop. But screw this, i’ll keep watching and force you, Mr. Avellone, to endure the same grade of discomfort i am experiencing. We’ll see who folds first.
It seems you do have time for that crap. :troll:

Stabwound

Arcane
MCA playing Arcanum in this video sounds like he's reading a hostage letter to his family.

AC Sleighter

Novice
Playing Arcanum for 20 minutes every 2 weeks? WTF?

This is the worst delivery of a stretch goal promise I've seen yet. If you can't spare an hour a week to play a game, then it never should have been offered up. I think a reasonable assumption would be to get through the game in less than 3 years.

And at the rate he plays, it's probably more like 6 or 7 years at 20 minutes / 2 weeks. 2 NPC conversations and 1 room in town explored in this 25 minute video. LOL

EG

Nullified
Don't you understand, guys? If it weren't for his Operations people he'd play the game in one go!

They're ruining our god!

Sprout

Educated

This is the worst delivery of a stretch goal promise I've seen yet. If you can't spare an hour a week to play a game, then it never should have been offered up. I think a reasonable assumption would be to get through the game in less than 3 years.

And at the rate he plays, it's probably more like 6 or 7 years at 20 minutes / 2 weeks. 2 NPC conversations and 1 room in town explored in this 25 minute video. LOL

yeaaahhh, I think we should probably be fair with this and recognise that as a stretch goal it wasn't meant to be offered at the same level of seriousness as the others.
It was more like a light hearted afterthought if nothing else, a fringe benefit for the stretch goal to be worked on as a small side project.

Also it's pretty evident that the reasonable assumption is correct and it won't take over 3 years. (or he might, what do I know? He might just be that bad ;) )
They're still experimenting with this, I don't think it was meant to be taken literally that it'll always be like that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I forgot to note this earlier, but the paragraph about DRM made me laugh because it feels very much like a response to the Shadowrun backlash. :)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They never promised that MCA would complete Arcanum did they, only that he'd play it?

Avantre

Educated

Technically he covered the stretch goal with the very first video. They promised "at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum", they never promised he'd finish it or even play it for long.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He might have more time to play after PE's pre-production stage is complete.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He has to play it 7 times.

cavellone.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom