Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #50: New FAQ, New Arcanum LP Season

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So did I, with a speech character. Can't get past ore golems in black mountain. :mad:
Leave your companions at the entrance and run past them. There's a scroll of teleport you can use to exit the mines without backtracking too.

ironyuri

I actually want to go play Arcanum again now.

I actually started playing it.

So did I, with a speech character. Can't get past ore golems in black mountain. :mad:

By the time you reach Black Mountain Clan mines with a speech build character (high int, high cha, high persuasion), your party can be made up by 5-6 characters, including:

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Geoffrey Tarellond-Ash (magic)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Dog (Worthless Mutt) (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
Edit: Torian Kel [not the Bane of Kree herpderp] (melee)

And you can't get past the ore golems?

:popamole:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

By the time you reach Black Mountain Clan mines with a speech build character (high int, high cha, high persuasion), your party can be made up by 5-6 characters, including:

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

I guess, I went there much earlier than intended.

Wait a sec... bane of kree? o_O

Leave your companions at the entrance and run past them. There's a scroll of teleport you can use to exit the mines without backtracking too.

Oh, thanks. I'll try that.

ironyuri

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

EG

Nullified

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

Pretty sure you have to be evil to recruit him.

ironyuri

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

Torian, Geoffrey and Vollinger will join you if your alignment is -20~ iirc, if your alignment remains at 0 or below they'll complain but stick around.

Dante, Magnus, Jayna and Dante will join you if you're positively aligned, but won't leave unless you dip below zero, and if you have high charisma or positive reaction items, you can persuade them to stay.

My original point stands that by the time you get to Black Mt Clan mines, if you're playing a diplomat build, you should have a sizeable party of 5+ characters.

Edit: I should clarify as well, that you can drop your alignment to recruit NPCs, but then restore it to neutral~. In my diplomat game I had -7 alignment as a standard for most of the game, dropped it low to recruit Torian and some others, but overall my character was neutral/lawful. His high charisma kept his followers in line.

You should at least have Virgil and one other companion, plus Dog (Worthless Mutt) who doesn't count towards a companion slot, even if you're not a diplomat, in which case you should be able to tackle the mines a different way.

If you eschew combat skills/builds, you'd presumably rely on a party or on avoiding combat, I find it irksome, therefore, when people who take those builds complain about not being able to fight or bypass combat heavy areas [in Arcanum] when the extended Shrouded Hills prologue basically teaches you by doing: providing two joinable NPCs (Virgil and Sogg) as well as several quests which have numerous solutions/rewards.

The party size afforded the charismatic diplomat in Arcanum is enormous by the genre's standards, in my last run I had 7 followers, and with a mix of ranged, healing and melee you can quite easily steamroll anything without your PC ever lifting a finger him/herself.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

Torian, Geoffrey and Vollinger will join you if your alignment is -20~ iirc, if your alignment remains at 0 or below they'll complain but stick around.

Dante, Magnus, Jayna and Dante will join you if you're positively aligned, but won't leave unless you dip below zero, and if you have high charisma or positive reaction items, you can persuade them to stay.

My original point stands that by the time you get to Black Mt Clan mines, if you're playing a diplomat build, you should have a sizeable party of 5+ characters.

Edit: I should clarify as well, that you can drop your alignment to recruit NPCs, but then restore it to neutral~. In my diplomat game I had -7 alignment as a standard for most of the game, dropped it low to recruit Torian and some others, but overall my character was neutral/lawful. His high charisma kept his followers in line.

You should at least have Virgil and one other companion, plus Dog (Worthless Mutt) who doesn't count towards a companion slot, even if you're not a diplomat, in which case you should be able to tackle the mines a different way.

If you eschew combat skills/builds, you'd presumably rely on a party or on avoiding combat, I find it irksome, therefore, when people who take those builds complain about not being able to fight or bypass combat heavy areas [in Arcanum] when the extended Shrouded Hills prologue basically teaches you by doing: providing two joinable NPCs (Virgil and Sogg) as well as several quests which have numerous solutions/rewards.

The party size afforded the charismatic diplomat in Arcanum is enormous by the genre's standards, in my last run I had 7 followers, and with a mix of ranged, healing and melee you can quite easily steamroll anything without your PC ever lifting a finger him/herself.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply your advice was wrong, it is actually very good advice. I always make a beeline for Dog right away and kill that gnome who is abusing him.

If Torian was who I remember, he is the one you resurrect at the end of a long dungeon and if you are good he is then like, "get lost loser".

I might try playing evil this time.

ironyuri

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply your advice was wrong, it is actually very good advice. I always make a beeline for Dog right away and kill that gnome who is abusing him.

If Torian was who I remember, he is the one you resurrect at the end of a long dungeon and if you are good he is then like, "get lost loser".

I might try playing evil this time.

Q-q-q-q-quote pyramids.

I didn't think you were disagreeing, you just gave me an opportunity to add to what I'd said, since it was a caveat worth mentioning. You can have a party of x size, but certain npcs will only be joinable at y alignment.

Torian is well worth it. As far as I remember, Torian Kel, Magnus and Virgil are the only three NPCs in the game that really have any depth (as far as a personal character arc goes). Virgil and Magnus have their own cathartic questlines, and Torian, to the extent that you can bestow a gift on him in the Void that he cherishes, has a similar arc.

The two elven NPCs you can recruit after Qintarra, Z'an and Raven, while voiced, don't offer too much to the story. Z'an will have a thing or two to say to Arronax though, which was quite funny. I suppose Vollinger also has a story arc, if it can be called one... if very rushed.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

Sogg (melee)
Magnus (melee)
Virgil (magic/melee)
Jayna Stiles (healer)
Dante (healer/melee)
Gar (melee)
Vollinger (firearms)
The Bane of Kree (melee)

Bane of KreeTorian Kel

Torian_Kel.jpg

I did not even come across that many recruitable NPC's before i got there (actually I went there right away after I talked to Gilbert). I had only virgil, sogg and magnus. I also met the Geoffrey (after i've given up on BMC until I leveled up and got moar companions ) and did his quest, but he said i'm ''too noble''.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He also loved the combat of KoA: Reckoning.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
So Anthony, what is your take on MCA's Arcanum skills ?

I think he is doing alright.

For those of us here who have played through the game about a million times, the things we take for granted in the game are actually a lot more obtuse than we remember. For example, aimed shots are almost completely undocumented.

When Chris came to visit a few weeks ago I tried to talk him about his Arcanum play through, but he would have none of it. He is determined to play through it as new and fresh as he can.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Also he if decides to go Tech instead of Magic, like I did on my first play through, he is in for a world of unbalanced hell. Lol.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Never heard of Aimed shots in Arcanum before.
I played a Sword guy with a Stun spell backup.
The combo worked well and I remember a WTF moment in the basement or was it a bank? anyway the building where you find a mechanized spider.

Then, when I hit the mines I only had Virgil (I played it before I knew English well so I really had no idea what I was doing) that promptly got oneshotted.
I for one, found the mines entertaining because I could not use the my personal I WIN combo and I had to go buy 6 swords or so, because I was going through them pretty quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom