Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #54: Mega Art Update + UI Mockup

Midair

Learned
There were suggestions at Obsidian's forum to plan for monitors with very high resolutions becoming standard by the time the game is released, but I believe a developer said that today's standard resolutions were "sharp enough." I start to disagree, especially when considering the UI. It is going to be like Daggerfall's character screen (320x200) compared to Baldur's Gate (640x480) a few years later.

Kirtai

Augur
I mentioned this in the other thread but the clickable buttons not touching the edges of the screen is a bad, bad thing. Much less important than mouse movement distance. Fitts Law says it's vastly easier and quicker to hit something at the edge of the screen than it is to hit something even one pixel away.

I have to wonder if they even have any experienced UI designers looking at this, such a thing should have been spotted immediately.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to wonder if they even have any experienced UI designers looking at this, such a thing should have been spotted immediately.
Obsidian making a nice interface LOL.

The best we can hope for is complete aping of IE engine UIs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The UI looks great for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but for a widescreen resolution the viewing area becomes too wide. It would be better if it had two sidebars like Baldur's gate.

MapMan

Arcane
Meanwhile the masterminds at inxile came up with this:

BxIw2jX.png

Really? o_O

EG

Nullified
Meanwhile the masterminds at inxile came up with this:

BxIw2jX.png

Really? o_O

Might as well just embrace the shit list and get rid of the silly little slots for items/gigantic icons. Just have a nice "Equipped" list right above the inventory.

Sigh.

MapMan

Arcane
For me, the W2 UI absolute and utter shit, from both artistic and usability perspectives. From artistic perspective the UI is just bad and most "artists" could come up with something better. From usability standpoint I want a nice and minimalistic UI, not some fancy 3d bullshit with 'splosions, sparks and what not. Am I alone on this?

Lancehead

Liturgist
I prefer UIs that are streamlined and accessible. Bonus points if you can do that while achieving a pleasing and setting-consistent visual theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom