Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #66: Backer Portal Promo + Meet the Devs

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Do you guys see the ''first gameplay look'' video in the media section of the new website?

Does this mean we will get a 4:31 long gameplay vid when they release the website?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Obsidian promises a stronghold, delivers a walled estate with a mansion and a hedge labyrinth. This is an outrage, I expect them to refund all pledges made after stronghold stretch goal had been announced.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I would have preferred the stronghold to develop dynamically to class choice, hence instead of a manor we would have a tower for a wizard and so on. Also looks too "well groomed" to be a frontier stronghold, unless the location is near some big center of government/trade.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I would have preferred the stronghold to develop dynamically to class choice, hence instead of a manor we would have a tower for a wizard and so on. Also looks too "well groomed" to be a frontier stronghold, unless the location is near some big center of government/trade.

The Stronghold is in the Dyrwood I think, which is more 'civilized' than Eir Glanfath is.

hiver

A posh English manor is not "a stronghold".

Dont like it at all.

Graphics are awesome, but I'm more interested in seeing what the game will turn out to be. Would like different strongholds for different classes (always wanted a wizard tower :oops:), but maybe this won't be bad (looks too clean and reminds me of Dragon Age Origins fighter and rogue "stronghold") if they put in interesting mechanics.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

One of Hector's work in progress areas, the player's stronghold, in a ruined and restored state.
Pretty.

Reminds me of Baldur's Gate (the first one). I loved that game, it looked beautiful, especially the wilderness areas.

I also like how detailed this picture is. When you look at it the first time, it may seem that the left side isn't really different from the right; but when you look more closely you will notice that a lot had changed. For example, the blacksmith now has hammer and other instruments that are stashed in a box that was previously empty.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
While it is not as grand as some BG2 strongholds, it fits in my opinion. The possible additions to the stronghold are interesting, especially in regards to the bonuses provided. I assume that will become the money sink.

I hope the next update is not another month from now. Then again, they can probably only show so much outside a demo or gameplay video.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A posh English manor is not "a stronghold".

Dont like it at all.
Why? BG2 strongholds were from simple houses to caves. Only the fighter had a castle as a stronghold.

But they had context to your class, this one just seems a bit too much like a glorified country house, limits role playing somewhat that an ascetic minded monk has to call a manor like the one shown his/her home. I prefer smaller scale but more variety, but thats a moot at this point, now i just want them to pull what they have off with some flair and C&C.

hiver

Exactly.

Plus im really pissed off that "england" somehow equates "fantasy". Im really, really fed up with that crap cliche.

Rake

Arcane
Exactly.

Plus im really pissed off that "england" somehow equates "fantasy". Im really, really fed up with that crap cliche.
Well, the generic...ness of PE is the worst aspect of the game for me, but that was clear from the start.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Sort of reminds me of the NVN2 castle. All we need is a quest where you have to build up your defences to prepare for an invasion :M

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Expected something more than a village surrendered by low stone wall with building and trees close and not even the moat; come on use google if you to lazy to looks in library and you will get proper lowland Stronghold in 5 minutes:

Caerlaverock_Castle_from_the_air_1.jpeg

Don't mind it being ruined and money sink but this:

10493_500.jpg

Is like from game for 5 years old kids; I guess Kwans can't into Castles.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The trees should also give bonuses to happiness... or hippiness, whatever they implemented. Hurray for retarded bonuses for any retarded thing you do.

Last edited:

hiver

Well, the generic...ness of PE is the worst aspect of the game for me, but that was clear from the start.

One would expect such setting as they described it would present something less cliched, instead of another fucking version of fucking england. Worst thing about it is that its relatively modern england cliches they all use.
Ffs even the Witcher, which is built on Slavic mythology for the large part, falls into this crap in translation to english language voice overs.

Of course, the word "Stronghold" has specific connotations which this place does not fulfill in any way.
It seems its just in the middle of an open field, tactically and strategically a horrible position. This is obviously made to be just a money sink and player housing location - not a stronghold.

BG2 had a castle for a warrior, Planar Sphere for the mage, Druid grove for the druid... all more or less acceptable as "strongholds" for specific classes.

While PE doesnt have to have a different "stronghold" for each class they could atleast made two or three that the player can choose himself. Or if not that, they could allow players to "rebuild" a specific place in few different styles to fit their preferences.
If it was me doing the game, the players would have an option of simply taking over various such appropriate locations used by enemies and then setting up their own stronghold there.
(i was really pissed that there was no option like this in Skyrim, among many other things - if i just attacked a fort or a cave or dungeon of whatever and cleaned it - killed everyone - then i should be able to claim it for myself)
This can be designed in a way that wont negatively affect the story, main or other quests - whatever. Simply - the locations or dungeons that need to be used for other quest would not be a part of this.
Those that can be used (that devs decide can be used - while not demanding too much work to adapt) would "ask the player" does he want to take over after the dungeon is cleared.

You choose - yes - and bam - stronghold. The game then applies all the planned stronghold mechanics to that specific place.
If the devs would choose the available places themselves - they can make sure each would not require too much adaptation and unique assets or mechanics to work.
After all, its basically just a different "skin".

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If it was me doing the game, the players would have an option of simply taking over various such appropriate locations used by enemies and then setting up their own stronghold there.

:mca:

That would require a huge amount of dev time and effort, not to mention they would have to basically design the game around the mechanic.

hiver

No it wouldnt if it was pre-planned in the way i suggested, but then again why consider what someone actually said if you can just quote a single sentence and be a fucking moron about it.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Pre-planning in the way you suggested would be designing the game around it. The stronghold is an optional feature. it doesn't make any sense to make it such an elaborate part of the game.

hiver

Only in your dumb empty unsupported simpleton statement puking head that now latched onto one sentence and is actively retarding your thinking in order to preserve the illusion of "winning the argument" based on your stupidity and ignorance instead of any actual facts or arguments..

I dont know enough specific about PE to be detailed about this, but lets take skyrim as an example - since we all know it.
There are hundreds of different forts, castles and dungeones that you clear - that are then not used for anything at all. The enemies simply respawn in most of them - thats it.
Taking any of them for your stronghold would not make any difference to the rest of the game. Radiant Ai can simply exclude it from the list of these simplistic respawning locales.
The crap that you buy to upgrade your house-abode is just the regular game asset. No need to invent any special unique ones.
Same as with any other asset you would need to upgrade your stronghold. Furniture, blacksmith, alchemy or enchanting tables, shelves for books, armory and weapon stands - normal game assets that already exist in the game.

The gameplay mechanics designed for "a stronghold" can be applied to any location.
Some enemies attack it? big deal to apply.
NPCs to work in it?
Some sub quests atached to it?

name single one that is not already a part of game mechanics and assets.

The stronghold is an optional feature.
Yes ... so? Or is it?

it doesn't make any sense to make it such an elaborate part of the game.
how about actually explaining anything you say instead of just repeating stupid empty statements based on stupid faulty assumption - based on your stupidity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom