Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Project Mercury, Copernicus, & R.A. Salvatore

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lesifoere said:
Oh, just about every fantasy author thinks their elves are new and different.

The second book features a scene where Eragon gazes lovingly at some elf guy's hairless groin, I heard.

Eh, don't remember any of that. Must've been the third book probably. Although the whole time Eragon spent with the Elves was pretty faggy overall. Too bad I have that obession to finish every book I begin to read, although some party were actually fun to read (mostly those that didn't involve Eragon and his dragon. Did I already mention how often it is repeated that everyone is really awed by the dragon, especially the elves? It's as if every elf gets a hardon when he sees that dragon).

KalosKagathos

Learned
Drizzt novels are amazing. They are a profound commentary on racism that is still a taint on our society, and how outstanding people are sometimes ridiculed for simply having a different skin tone. This is what True Art is about.

Did I actually write all that with a straight face?

Wise Emperor

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
Drizzt novels are amazing. They are a profound commentary on racism that is still a taint on our society, and how outstanding people are sometimes ridiculed for simply having a different skin tone. This is what True Art is about.

It shows that in all nigger species we can find one, only one decent nigger.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The Drizzt novels are solid reads. Sure, not gonna be confused with the legendary stuff; but still entetraining reads. Plus, the books have the best dwarven character EVAR (well.. 2nd best, as Volourn rules all).

R00fles!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
"Drizzt Do'Urden," gasped one of the dwarves, a fat fellow with an orange beard and an enormous temple-to-temple eyebrow.

Mattresses

Scholar
Freelance Henchman said:
Sovard said:
Kind of like what Alganon is doing with Derek Smart, to a similarly hilarious extent.

Derek Smart, brings a distinguished resume of over twenty years of game development and a reputation for getting the job done.

:lolwut:

oh man, this is functionally the same as attaching cleve's name to a project for hype/lulz.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
The Drizzt novels are solid reads. Sure, not gonna be confused with the legendary stuff; but still entetraining reads. Plus, the books have the best dwarven character EVAR (well.. 2nd best, as Volourn rules all).

R00fles!

Volourn, gentleman and philosopher.

Saxon1974

Prophet
KalosKagathos said:

This makes me laugh. Let me guess your a college student?

So basically an evil race thats only purpose is to slaughter and conqueror other races and yet society is racist because they have bad opinions of this race? Ha.

That being said i think the book is more about Drizzt dealing with the negative stigma his race has brought on him for being evil like they are.

But anyway this is an MMO so who cares.....

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:

So basically an evil race thats only purpose is to slaughter and conqueror other races and yet society is racist because they have bad opinions of this race? Ha.

That being said i think the book is more about Drizzt dealing with the negative stigma his race has brought on him for being evil like they are.

Hahaha wow, the point whooooooshed over your head like anything.

Go read your D&D fanfic, RPGWatch immigrant. Let me guess, you never even finished high school?

Callaxes

Arbiter
Since we're going to talk about fantasy cliches, are noble houses becoming overused?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Sarvis said:
Ah yes, the classic Codexian desire to bend English to their will.

Fanfic Author: Person who writes unpublished fiction based on fictional characters created by another author.

Since Salvatore creates his own characters he's not writing fanfic. You can argue quality all you want, it doesn't matter for shit.

Enlighten us manboons, O Valiant Being!

How do you label authors who create their own characters but place them in a setting that others have created?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Callaxes said:
Since we're going to talk about fantasy cliches, are noble houses becoming overused?

I dunno, it's a general concept enough that I don't think it qualifies exactly. Noble houses being portrayed in what way? The "scheming, arrogant nobility" stereotype? The Martin-esque wheels-within-wheels civil war model?

Callaxes

Arbiter
Lesifoere said:
I dunno, it's a general concept enough that I don't think it qualifies exactly. Noble houses being portrayed in what way? The "scheming, arrogant nobility" stereotype? The Martin-esque wheels-within-wheels civil war model?

I mean as a way to present a culture. They're flexible enough to be fleshed out in a lot of ways and because noble families involve actual families, they are a good niche to place dozens of small characters as well as other details (i.e. bloodlines, code of honor, heraldry, etc.). But the concept is already becoming overused, so it feels like the equivalent of trying to develop your own special elves.

New Crobuzon had political parties with some awesome names. Ambergris had the composer-dictator Voss Bender and later on the Reds and the Greens.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. I'll say, though, that nobles are at least more interesting than peasant. Especially farmboy peasant heroes. Ugh.

New Crobuzon and Ambergris are absolutely awesome. I loved "The Exchange" in City of Saints and Madmen so fucking much.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Ninja reply. :D

I can't pick a favorite, but what I loved most about the book and the short stories was that if you reread them again you'd find a lot of new elements in the mini plots. Jeff did the same with Shriek by experimenting with form (e.g. the bibliography for the science article).

Oh and the annoying thing about them is that it's they're kind of books that make you wanna to write one yourself. Not because of the "I can do better than that" cliche but rather - like learning to play an instrument - you're dazzled at how awesome both the result and whole process is.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
Saxon1974 said:

Hahaha wow, the point whooooooshed over your head like anything.

Go read your D&D fanfic, RPGWatch immigrant. Let me guess, you never even finished high school?

:lol:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Callaxes said:
Oh and the annoying thing about them is that it's they're kind of books that make you wanna to write one yourself. Not because of the "I can do better than that" cliche but rather - like learning to play an instrument - you're dazzled at how awesome both the result and whole process is.

Absolutely; they're inspirational. Of course, then you try it and get this "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy" crisis of faith.

Andhaira

Arcane
I wonder how much input GRRM will have into the two games coming out regarding HIS books.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sceptic said:
Amazing. And to think I got accused of Salvatore-hate in another thread...
Actually I was wondering about the Salvatore-hate in last thread's context in general not your hate specifically.
Pretty much like in this thread. Apart from the presumptuous headline, what was there to criticise about his statements in the quote?
All I've seen was: 10,000 year history = duel weilding EMO, LOLOL, derp derp.

Everytime Salvatore is mentioned on the co'x (hardly ever especially positively in the first place) some co'xers feel the need to comment on how crappy he is. It is as if they grew up being bullied by Salvatore-fans and now, at last, they've found the last "sane" bullwark of good taste that allows them to hate Salvatore without being bullied. It sometimes seems more over the top than the co'x's reaction to Oblivion.
He's a mediocre writer. He writes pulp-fantasy. He wrote some stuff that was good for what it was and he wrote some horrid stuff. I just don't see him meriting these extreme reactions.

drizztblack.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shannow said:
Sceptic said:
Amazing. And to think I got accused of Salvatore-hate in another thread...
Actually I was wondering about the Salvatore-hate in last thread's context in general not your hate specifically.
My comment was tongue in cheek. I'm not that think skinned. ;)

He's a mediocre writer. He writes pulp-fantasy. He wrote some stuff that was good for what it was and he wrote some horrid stuff. I just don't see him meriting these extreme reactions.
This is the Codex. Our modus operandi is "if it's mediocre, criticize the fuck out of it and make it sound like the most horrible crime against humanity ever".

Cassidy

Arcane
When the average quality of works in a given media is falling in a downward spiral, the shit of yesterday is today's mediocre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom