Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS3 hardware

Holy Cow

i couldn't be arsed to do a search, so i'll be asking you.

i own a ps3 slim. i've recently played MW2 and killzone 2

and killzone 2(being a ps3 exclusive) has FAR, FAR better graphix, animation and physics than MW2, which came out later and was multiplatform

so my question is: just how good (and how superior than other playing platforms, including PCs), is the PS3?

i was really amazed by how lifelike the animations in killzone 2 were. ps3-exclusive games have an advantage over others in terms of engine? I don't know shit about hardware, i only know ps3s have 7 gpus or whatever the fuck that means. can someone enlighten me?

MetalCraze

Arcane
PS3 hardware is more outdated than the one of XBox360.

256 megs of RAM, 256 megs of videomemory, GeForce 7800. CPU is somewhere around Athlon X2 4800+. In fact PS3 is often incapable of rendering what XBox360 can in 1280x720 so devs lower the resolution to 1024x640 to afford those minimal 30 fps. Because of such shitty hardware many of those PS3 exclusives came out on X360 instead, stopped being exclusives, never came out or came out much later. UT3 and GTA4 being prime examples.

PC is out of reach for PS3. A modern mid-end PC is about 4 times more powerful than PS3. The only one of 4 modern platforms that is weaker than the PS3 is Wii.

Also MW2 is made using 11 years old Quake 3 engine (but with some modifications obviously) so what did you expect?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
Also MW2 is made using 11 years old Quake 3 engine (but with some modifications obviously) so what did you expect?

I'm pretty sure there is very little code from Quake3 left in the CoD engine. I remember reading in an interview that it's just stuff like the file structure, while everything else has been gutted and rewritten.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If you'll turn postprocessing effects off you'll be able to see Q3 roots going out of many holes, lighting in particular which is normally covered by bloom and colour filters. Many lowpoly objects on a map also provide for an impression that BSP brushes are still in.

Felix

Arcane
root said:
i couldn't be arsed to do a search, so i'll be asking you.

i own a ps3 slim. i've recently played MW2 and killzone 2

and killzone 2(being a ps3 exclusive) has FAR, FAR better graphix, animation and physics than MW2, which came out later and was multiplatform

so my question is: just how good (and how superior than other playing platforms, including PCs), is the PS3?

i was really amazed by how lifelike the animations in killzone 2 were. ps3-exclusive games have an advantage over others in terms of engine? I don't know shit about hardware, i only know ps3s have 7 gpus or whatever the fuck that means. can someone enlighten me?
PS3 hardwares generally are more powerful than X360(not by much) but with a weaker GPU iirc, it's far behind a mid-end PC of course. It's also harder to develop game on PS3 and the results are often not worth it, only first party developers trying to squeeze something out of it like you've seen in Killzone2....still locked in 30fps with input lag lol.

Felix

Arcane
GPU is not an entire system, hate to break it to you.

MetalCraze

Arcane
GPU is the most important part in the gaming system with the whole performance being tied to it.
Now if that's not enough - X360 also has scaling 512 MBs RAM - a laughable number of course - but compared to PS3 it can f.e. provide 384 megs for game levels making them bigger while providing 128 megs to graphics card making texture quality a victim and vice versa - on the fly. With PS3 you are stuck with 256 megs.
PS3 CPU is also a weakling.

Finally I've already provided games that were PS3 exclusives. I still remember Cliffy B going like "PS3 is such a weak shit, fuck it" - and blam UT3 came out on it only a year later after everyone played and forgot about it. Let alone GTA4, which while being very ugly and outdated when it comes to graphics running in a lower res than its X360 counterpart. It was a PS3 exclusive too. Even Oblivion appeared on PS3 much later because they had to tone down graphics (and it runs only at 1024x576)

MetalCraze

Arcane
They equally suck, your point?

Ah you mean they make graphics look worse for PS3 in PS3 exclusives turned multiplatforms because PS3 has a superior hardware?

Morgoth said:
Look at the graphics of Unchated 2 and Heavy Rain, then look at the graphics of Fable 2 and Halo 3.

PS3 > 360.

Neither Fable II or Halo 3 are hailed as being the best looking games on the 360. Whereas the two PS3 games you mentioned are the current PS3 poster children.

Your reasoning is weak.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
They equally suck, your point?

Ah you mean they make graphics look worse for PS3 in PS3 exclusives turned multiplatforms because PS3 has a superior hardware?
You don't really know what you're talking about? 256MB RAM against the 360's 512MB? You're thinking in terms of standard PCs architecture.
The PS3 still has more peak power as a whole, not to mention that you can have uncompressed data on a Blu-Ray disc which leads to better performance.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Morgoth said:
Look at the graphics of Unchated 2 and Heavy Rain, then look at the graphics of Fable 2 and Halo 3.

PS3 > 360.

Neither Fable II or Halo 3 are hailed as being the best looking games on the 360. Whereas the two PS3 games you mentioned are the current PS3 poster children.

Your reasoning is weak.
Compare UT3 360 vs. PS3. Which one has the better looking textures, which one has more maps?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
You don't really know what you're talking about? 256MB RAM against the 360's 512MB? You're thinking in terms of standard PCs architecture.
And don't forget a weaker videocard on PS3 again.
You still didn't post anything to counter my arguments about multiplatform titles looking worse on PS3 and "exclusive game" devs running away from PS3 the moment they got their hands on it.

The PS3 still has more peak power as a whole, not to mention that you can have uncompressed data on a Blu-Ray disc which leads to better performance.
What

Morgoth said:
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Morgoth said:

PS3 > 360.

Your reasoning is weak.
Compare UT3 360 vs. PS3. Which one has the better looking textures, which one has more maps?

What does the number of maps have to do with how good the games look?

And there's a sad pattern of a game coming out on the 360...then getting a PS3 addition months later where they make a big deal about exclusive content and how they're improving this or that, and it still looks worse than the 360 counterpart.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Finally I've already provided games that were PS3 exclusives. I still remember Cliffy B going like "PS3 is such a weak shit, fuck it" - and blam UT3 came out on it only a year later after everyone played and forgot about it. Let alone GTA4, which while being very ugly and outdated when it comes to graphics running in a lower res than its X360 counterpart. It was a PS3 exclusive too. Even Oblivion appeared on PS3 much later because they had to tone down graphics (and it runs only at 1024x576)

That's called shitty ports (yes, consoles suffer this disease too). Do you think that GTA4 runs like a fucking turtle on the PC because modern PCs are not up to the task of handling content made for hardware released late 2005? On just plain crappy coding?

And don't forget a weaker videocard on PS3 again.
You still didn't post anything to counter my arguments about multiplatform titles looking worse on PS3 and "exclusive game" devs running away from PS3 the moment they got their hands on it.

Yes, PS3 GPU sucks compared to X-brick's one. That's what PS3-exclusive devs try to offload as much graphics processing as possible to Cell. Multiplatform devs just don't give a fuck as long as game's running (basic lowest common denominator approach which defines the industry now.)

But the problem isn't PS3, the problem is typical developer laziness.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:
That's called shitty ports (yes, consoles suffer this disease too). Do you think that GTA4 runs like a fucking turtle on the PC because modern PCs are not up to the task of handling content made for hardware released late 2005? On just plain crappy coding?
GTA4 was originally PS3 exclusive. See the difference?
I guess it's just some conspiracy against PS3 to overflow it with shitty ports (see post above)

Yes, PS3 GPU sucks compared to X-brick's one. That's what PS3-exclusive devs try to offload as much graphics processing as possible to Cell.
You do know that Cell is general purpose CPU? AKA it is as good for rendering graphics as any Intel or AMD CPU. Except Cell sucks compared to them.

But the problem isn't PS3, the problem is typical developer laziness.
Yes of course! That's why all those PS3 exclusives mysteriously disappeared/became multiplatform/came out much later with way worser graphics. Even that Kojima faggot called PS3 a weak piece of shit and next MGS will be for X360 too. When PS3 came out suddenly many devs that were making games only for it since forever became lazy.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
There are good PS3 ports, and there are bad PS3 ports. Mostly due to developers being stupid and lazy fucks, that's why Bayonetta PS3 a a bit inferior.

Still, with the right brains and the right time, you can get more out of the PS3. Again, just look at Uncharted 2.

Rockstar is now even developing AGENT as a PS3 exclusive because they said the 360 is a POS.

Twinkle

Liturgist

Being announced as platform exclusive and being developed as such are two different things, that's a cheap-ass marketing trick widely used nowadays. RAGE engine debuted first on Xbrick, there is no way it didn't affect the development process.

I guess it's just some conspiracy against PS3 to overflow it with shitty ports

The same can be said about the PC. The truth is that most modern dev studios are lazy fucks.

You do know that Cell is general purpose CPU? AKA it is as good for rendering graphics as any Intel or AMD CPU. Except Cell sucks compared to them.

Due to weakness of the main GPU, Cell is tasked to do things general purpose CPU should not do were the architecture better balanced. That doesn't mean it can't be done at all.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:

Being announced as platform exclusive and being developed as such are two different things, that's a cheap-ass marketing trick widely used nowadays. RAGE engine debuted first on Xbrick, there is no way it didn't affect the development process.
Yes they went to Xbawks after seeing how crappy PS3 hardware is.
Marketing trick for what?

The same can be said about the PC. The truth is that most modern dev studios are lazy fucks.
Ports to PC are most of the time superior, especially when it comes to graphics (let alone physics, case in point - all UE3 games). With PS3 they are 90% of the time inferior. Which makes both cases a little bit different, don't you think?
Devs are so lazy they can make the game work fast on a system with 1000s of possible configs, yet can't do the same for a system with a fixed config? Oh wait - they can, for X360.
When even PS fanboy Kojima calls PS3 weak you know something is very obvious.

Due to weakness of the main GPU, Cell is tasked to do things general purpose CPU should not do were the architecture better balanced. That doesn't mean it can't be done at all.
Some stuff being overloaded on CPU is nothing new. It however won't be faster than with a faster videocard, which Xbawks' X1900 clearly proves and which is the point.

Gerrard

Arcane
Morgoth said:
not to mention that you can have uncompressed data on a Blu-Ray disc which leads to better performance.
Yeah, the PS3 is so weak you have to save RAM and CPU cycles on decoding audio.

skyway said:
Yes they went to Xbawks after seeing how crappy PS3 hardware is.
Marketing trick for what?
Are you really this stupid?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
PS3 hardwares are more powerful than X360(not by much) but with a weaker GPU iirc

Logic overload

You're thinking purely in terms of PC hardware.

Most sony first party devs shift graphical effects onto the CELL chip, iirc naughtydog put uncharted 2's ambiant occlusion, depth of field, motion blur, procedural animation and transparency effects. The entirety of the post process effects in that game (which are considerable)

The GPU is there purely to push the poly's and textures. That is impressive considering CPU is usually idle in games these days.

5ouop0.jpg

Most multiplatform games on consoles look like straight up shit, they don't have the time or the budget to push the systems, fact of the matter is sony has the best looking console games out there right now by a considerable margin. In many cases they're a rival for any pc title so long as you don't put image quality into the equation. Funny that you bring up MP titles, i just finished darksiders ps3 which is better than it's xbox counterpart.

Bayonetta comparisons.

Platinum didn't work on bayonetta ps3, that was a sega port job.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Ports to PC are most of the time superior, especially when it comes to graphics (let alone physics, case in point - all UE3 games). With PS3 they are 90% of the time inferior. Which makes both cases a little bit different, don't you think?
Devs are so lazy they can make the game work fast on a system with 1000s of possible configs, yet can't do the same for a system with a fixed config? Oh wait - they can, for X360.

This ports are superior (on a technical side) because modern PC hardware is superior to 3-4 years old console configuration. Yes, even 100$ PC GPU nowadays can beat the shit out of console GPU in terms of raw performance and features. Yes, you can run most multiplatform games just fine now at 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200 with GPUs as old as 8800GTX. But you should thank hardware improvements here, not actual porting job.

Case in point, Unreal Engine 3, still doesn't have native AA support and it's horrible texture artifacts due to shitty texture streaming which is completely unnecessary on PC. Or another example, Ass Effect 2, which uses console assets on PC without any rework. Or Ass Greed 2 with it's horrible LODs. Or Fallout3 with super ugly textures. Or slow as ass GTA 4 etc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's like you people don't even try to read, stuck with your "PS3 is superior cuz Sony told me so! baaw" Even though every comparison proves that it is not.

So devs have enough time and money to spend to scale down resolutions, effects, detail but don't have the same to do the opposite? I mean PS3 is sooo superior why the fuck are they spending time making games look worse on it?
But who gives a shit about Bethesda spending nearly a year to make Oblivion work on PS3 and all they could do is scale down everything incl resolution (to 1024x576) plus Kojima himself calling PS3 a weak shit. But nooo Sony told me it's superior, I just can't face the truth that my crap is crap.

Uncharted 2 looks like crap btw.

spekkio

Arcane
anomie said:
Consolefight on Codex, fuck yeah!

But staying on topic:

Damn, Skyway seems to be one of the best-informed current-game console players on 'Dex. He played almost every current multiplatform game on PS3, X360 and PC: Oblivion, GTA4, Bayonetta, Uncharted 2 and some more. Fuck I didn't even play Oblivion PC, cause I've READ that it's BSB. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom