Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Live vs Doom

Higher Game

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytfwYUB1krA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4phCd49io

Is there any competition, when it comes to upper level matches? The Quakers are constantly using rocket spam to cover retreats (or even directly, with jumps) or attack random entrances, pot shotting with rail and lightning guns, trying to hoard power-ups, and generally avoiding meaningful engagement unless they have a perfect position. There might have been 2 pitched battles in the whole video. Doomers, on the other hand, don't back down from a duel (ducking into cover for a few seconds doesn't count), don't avoid fighting if they lack the best armor/health/full ammo, and generally don't fight like little bitches.

Doom weapons are balanced to give offense a chance. Chaingun sniping isn't as powerful as Quake's rail gun (and there is no scope), and the shotgun spread and firing delay keep distance fighting from being the norm. The BFG is perfect for stopping campers, the plasma gun isn't an easily dodged/jumped joke, and the rockets have respectable but not overwhelming splash damage.

Quake's great for mid-tier free for all brawls, but it leaves something to be desired for aggressive play.

denizsi

Arcane
Fuck Quake Live, Quake Wars Live is coming. Though it might be limited to asian connections.

The_Pope

Scholar
I was really dissapointed when I learned how to do well at Quake/UT 1v1. Run away from each other until one of you has an overwhelming advantage :/

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
At least every weapon in UT has the potential to be very damaging, including the starting gun.

The_Pope

Scholar
True, but shock combos mean a retreating player has a huge advantage. Plus the armor does way more, making the advantage held by the itemed up player much bigger. The end result is that it's even worse for duelling than quake.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Ah, probably. I didn't really think on it that way because duelling's never appealed to me. Give me lots of people throwing rockets at each other from every direction any day.

The_Pope said:
I was really dissapointed when I learned how to do well at Quake/UT 1v1. Run away from each other until one of you has an overwhelming advantage :/

You must have played the worst fucking players in history.

The_Pope

Scholar
It also happened in every demo of top level play I've ever seen. It's not really even an FPS at that level - it's about getting to the shield belt more often than your opponent.

denizsi

Arcane
That just looks retarded, but I've always hated deathmatches anyway. Too primitive. Give me objective based team play over this dark ages shit.

Higher Game said:
denizsi said:
Fuck Quake Live, Quake Wars Live is coming. Though it might be limited to asian connections.

If true, I hope you live in the right side of the city. :lol:

Heh, it's a little more asian than that, I'm afraid:

http://quakewars.co.kr/

snoek

Cipher
Quake arena/ live goes waaaaay too fast for my tastes...

I like quake wars better, well balanced, more steadily paced class-based objective oriented shooter with vehicles and interesting maps.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Normally, I'm more of a UT fan. I just like the heavier, more grounded feeling of UT, but I like that it doesn't sacrifice acrobatics and fast pace because of it. It's the better of both worlds imo.

But between Quake and Doom I'd pick Quake any day. It's just much more engaging. I like all the arena domination stuff (pick-up wise), the establishing a flow without getting predictable, the pot shotting, the covering of exits with spam fire etc. It's just more diverse. Doom is a bit too straighforward. And lack of Z-axis action is a bitch.

MapMan

Arcane
You guys best be trolling. Q3 top level duels always were about timing and accuracy. If you'd want a pure aim test then you go and play instagib or simply turn off all power ups on the map. Deathmatch is the most skill demanding gamemode. If a player is good at q3 dm then he will simply OWN most online FPS games.

denizsi

Arcane
CS not only sucks, but is also an ape's shooter. It's team deathmatch so it still sucks. Primitive dark-age apefucks.

A user named cat

The best all around online game is still Jedi Outcast, even if it's not very active anymore. I guess it qualifies as an FPS since you can use first person with guns, but third person sabers are the shit. From straight up FFA, to team FFA, to duels to capture the flag -- the gameplay is leagues better than just shooting and hoarding ammo.

I'm featured in this video as Tical, because I'm awesome like that. Doesn't show off much since it's mostly just some random fights but it's something.

JK2 Legends

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
The best all around online game is still Jedi Outcast, even if it's not very active anymore. I guess it qualifies as an FPS since you can use first person with guns, but third person sabers are the shit. From straight up FFA, to team FFA, to duels to capture the flag -- the gameplay is leagues better than just shooting and hoarding ammo.

I'm featured in this video as Tical, because I'm awesome like that. Doesn't show off much since it's mostly just some random fights but it's something.

JK2 Legends

How come Jedi Academy is so scorned by the JK community? It seems to me like it's just the same plus more, which tends to be a good thing in competitive gaming sequels.

A user named cat

Academy dumbed everything down and removed all the shit new players whined about in Outcast. They also flubbed ctf as you could actually spawn inside enemy bases. The worst offenses though were removing kick and having saber moves use force power, not to mention the saber moves themselves being incredibly underpowered. It was basically a game aimed for crap players so they can spam attack and think they're internet jedis.

Most of us in Outcast don't even treat it as Star Wars, hell, most people that play don't even like the movies. It's all about killing people with force/sabers, talking shit, competing and having fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom