Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Quake VS. Unreal Tournament

Quake or Unreal Tournament

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gostak

Educated
My vote would have gone to UT, but other fans had it covered. :D
Ah, damn good game back then, sort of even better game now (all the custom content, some of which keeps coming):
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=13982&start=375

ind33d

Learned
I played Q4 MP recently and it looked worse than Quake 3, does every server force minimum graphics so it's easier to see hitboxes? lmao

DicLupa

Literate
I bought both Q3 and UT and played them pretty much only offline because I was a tard and didnt have functional, reliable internet at the time.

Q3 eemed to be the option for srs pro gamers. UT bot matches were just so fun, and there was so much more variety with game modes, maps, distinct and memorable weapons. Sure, many hours were spent just headshotting the computer on Facing Worlds and seeing how long I could string MONSTER KILLS and HEADSHOTS, but fuck you it was a blast. A simpler, more innocent time.

One day my dad got really angry at me, probably sick and tired of hearing that shit blasting endlessly from the PC room, and got a wild look on his face while he yelled at me "YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE" like I was training to go full Columbine (my first exposure to FPS was watching him play Doom). Not yet, Dad! ❤️

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I too spent my teenage years playing Q3 and UT singleplayer, but I had functional internet.

It's because they were pirated copies :negative:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Q3A and UT99 were the prestigious games of the time and rivals

but Q3A is my choice, has better movement and sense of speed

I think UT99 had more fun weapons tho and mutators were crazy

Unreal Tournament was the best version of that particular style of FPS. They were both fun, but my memory is Unreal Tournament had much more fun maps that pushed it over Quake III Arena.

It’s funny too because Unreal Tournament just seemed to come out of nowhere. Like Unreal existed, it was known about, but also who the fuck gave a shit about Unreal? So Tournament seemed like a pretty big surprise when it came out and was actually outdoing Quake 3.

DicLupa

Literate
It’s funny too because Unreal Tournament just seemed to come out of nowhere. Like Unreal existed, it was known about, but also who the fuck gave a shit about Unreal? So Tournament seemed like a pretty big surprise when it came out and was actually outdoing Quake 3.
It was the box art. I wanted that trophy. I didn't even play the original Unreal until last year.

4487298-unreal-tournament-windows-front-cover.jpg

ind33d

Learned
UT probably wins due to Onslaught. Quake Wars was cool as a spinoff, but mainline Quake's mechanics are too linear. Halo honestly does map control better than Quake. The power items need to be slightly stronger so it feels like you have more incentive to push

soulburner

Cipher
It’s funny too because Unreal Tournament just seemed to come out of nowhere.
It's because it was initially planned as an expansion. As far as I recall they made so many changes to the code and spend so much time developing game modes and new maps a decision was made to release it as standalone very late in development.

Gostak

Educated
Q3A and UT99 were the prestigious games of the time and rivals

but Q3A is my choice, has better movement and sense of speed

I think UT99 had more fun weapons tho and mutators were crazy
Hence allegedly some people from planetquake made a mutator for UT that introduces Quake's movement style to UT.
Description: Tremor,UT... done right.

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=5628

And yeah, just one of several movement related mutators you can use in good old UT, like this one features another one (invisible grapple thingy):

kangaxx

Arbiter
I preferred Quake at the time but both were great fun. The Super Nail Gun really did it for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom