Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, I just realized there are gameplay videos of this on YouTube since two weeks ago:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I felt the pain when I saw the effort to click a sideways door which is graphically represented from a thick LINE, because typical iso view was "banal" I guess...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GS: You’re not putting it on the Epic Games Store?

JV: No
Well, you know, I’m not going to lie. If Epic walked up to us and offered us a gigantic bag of money so we didn’t have to worry about earnings for a couple of years, I’d take that deal. Every indie would take that deal. This business is terrifying. Everyone here is three bad days from going out of business. Of course everyone’s going to take the Epic money bag.
It’s just that I’m not good enough for it. Our games are too niche and too low-budget to get into that club. But you know, no hard feelings.

Goddamn, this is such a pure, distilled Vogel post.

"Being an indie dev is hard. Do you know how hard it is? It's really hard. I would totally take a big bag of money (and then not invest it into making my games more appealing because it wouldn't be worth it, anyway - did I mention how hard it is?) to make it less hard. But nobody is going to give me that big bag of money because I'm not good enough for that. I'm too niche. It's hard to be that niche. And I can't ever hope to progress past that niche because it would be too hard and I barely scrape by anyway. And no better art and a soundtrack wouldn't help because I don't care about those, trust me I know what's important in an RPG I've been doing this for 25 years. 25 hard years. Very hard years. Being a niche indie dev is hard. Please give me money."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Meanwhile three lads from Serbia:

ss_5031551805765112508880894a3f4c96f038c7d7.1920x1080.jpg

ss_3f043f31161ee584e780809e8dc72f852543cb6d.1920x1080.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
"Being an indie dev is hard. Do you know how hard it is? It's really hard. I would totally take a big bag of money (and then not invest it into making my games more appealing because it wouldn't be worth it, anyway - did I mention how hard it is?) to make it less hard. But nobody is going to give me that big bag of money because I'm not good enough for that. I'm too niche. It's hard to be that niche. And I can't ever hope to progress past that niche because it would be too hard and I barely scrape by anyway. And no better art and a soundtrack wouldn't help because I don't care about those, trust me I know what's important in an RPG I've been doing this for 25 years. 25 hard years. Very hard years. Being a niche indie dev is hard. Please give me money."

Well, he is not terribly wrong. If investing 50k into muh better visuals would likely only result in 25k worth of extra sales, only an idiot would do that. His games are extremely niche and it is wise not to pretend they could ever be anything else.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't that a lot cheaper than his previous games?

I remember paying 25 $/€ for the first Avadon game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Isn't that a lot cheaper than his previous games?

I remember paying 25 $/€ for the first Avadon game.

I think it's the same $20 price with previous Avernum remake trilogy, nor sure about the first Avadon.

Just makes you think that this is cheaper than Kickstarter copy because of discount
thinking.png

Modron

Arcane
Same price as Avadon 3 at release at least, crazy Avadon was released 8 years ago. Avadon was kind of a low point, 2 was a much better Spiderweb game and 3 almost as decent.

Aemar

Arcane

The Dungeons & Autists Monster Manual. For I moment I thought creating this kind of content was the worst idea ever but then I remembered about his diehard fans and his successful Kickstarter campaign.

Curratum

I'm still amazed that his man has not moved past his 1996 art and production values for over two decades, but is still somehow putting out those horrible little things.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I put a few hours into it just now.

I disliked the graphics from the moment the first screens were released, and I still don't like them. I wouldn't go so far as to compare them with RPGMaker stuff, but the environments are much worse looking than the Avernum remakes and the Avadon games. I do, however, like the character sprites, which look like little figurines you'd use for a pen and paper game. I might be hallucinating, but I think both the sprites and portraits reflect the armor you're wearing.

I already like it a lot more than Avadon:
- You get handed three companions right away, but you can ignore (even delete) them and make your own party from the very beginning.
- So far there's not a lot of trash combat. There's actually not a lot of combat, period. A typical area will have a couple of small mobs and then a boss encounter. Leaving an area without clearing the boss encounter will reset any encounters you've beat.
- You don't regain HPs outside of battles like in Avadon. You need to heal up using potions or spells in between battles. The only way to restore ability points (early on) is to return to a fort you've liberated (you also gain a single ability point each time you kill an enemy).
- You have an actual world map you can explore outside of towns, etc., but there's also a quick travel option to visit places you've been.
- The fort building stuff seems pretty fun so far.

In some ways, though, it's been dumbed down even more than Avadon:
- You only gather equipment, treasure, etc. from chests. No more walking in a room and being able to pick up whatever is on the floor. This makes the game seem a lot like a JRPG.
- The ability tree is ridiculous, there's six abilities at most in each skill category (basically, fighter, mage, healer at this point). Each individual ability can only be assigned one or two points max. You can also respec abilities for free at any time. The game mentions that other skill categories open up as you conquer forts/towns, so it might get more interesting later.
- There are no classes, so every character can pretty much equip anything (martial equipment and magic equipment both require a single passive ability). Every character is basically a fighter, and the only difference is whether their abilities are martial or magical.
- No stats whatsoever. Everything seems to be based on your equipment only.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
- You only gather equipment, treasure, etc. from chests. No more walking in a room and being able to pick up whatever is on the floor. This makes the game seem a lot like a JRPG.
- The ability tree is ridiculous, there's six abilities at most in each skill category (basically, fighter, mage, healer at this point). Each individual ability can only be assigned one or two points max. You can also respec abilities for free at any time. The game mentions that other skill categories open up as you conquer forts/towns, so it might get more interesting later.
- There are no classes, so every character can pretty much equip anything (martial equipment and magic equipment both require a single passive ability). Every character is basically a fighter, and the only difference is whether their abilities are martial or magical.
- No stats whatsoever. Everything seems to be based on your equipment only.
what the fuck!?

I just received the key and suddenly my hype just poof'd

I have defended this game and jeff for months, believing he saw trough his error with avadon, which is some aspect true, but what the fuck?

Looks like they just butchered character creation and progression altogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom