Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Question about Gothic & Gothic 2

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking of playing these games again, so just wondering what is needed/best for both games in this current age. Third party things, if any, that is.

Also, should I play with or without Night of the Raven for Gothic 2?

dutchwench

Novice
I replayed 1 and 2 just a few months ago and the only things I installed were GRawInput for 1 and the DirectX thing for both. You could get some texture packs if you want. Also, there are a few difficulty mods that some people swear by, like L'Hiver or New Balance, if you remember the base game a bit too well and would like to see something new going on.
As for NotR or Classic, it seems like this is a somewhat controversial debate. Plenty of people starting Gothic 2 after 1 just wanted more of the same and decided to try the version with the fancy expansion, but really did not like the mechanical tweaks the expac version adds. Most of the complaints I think revolve around the new leveling system. I don't think there's a wrong opinion per se, but I do think the changes contribute to a much harder experience which keeps you on your toes all the time. And while the expansion is certainly good, I don't know if I'd say it's so good that you should keep forging on if the critical hits are making you piss blood. It is, however, more Gothic 2.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Thinking of playing these games again, so just wondering what is needed/best for both games in this current age. Third party things, if any, that is.

When I last replayed Gothic 1 and 2 a couple of years ago, I only needed to install the system pack for the GOG version to run smoothly. There are more elaborate mods available but I don't think that they are necessary.

I hate the rebalancing done by Night of the Raven and I find the new content mediocre. Hence, I always recommend playing the original version. Sadly, this version is becoming harder and harder to find (at least legally) as GOG and Steam only offer the gold version which includes the add on and doesn't allow the player to choose what to install.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With.
WIthout.

The new content is crudely inserted in places. You should play vanilla for more focused experience. Once you are familiar with the game you can focus on the expansion content. And the increased difficulty is no joke, designed for repeated playthroughs, not for newcomers.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd use the DX11 renderer, it's a big performance and visual upgrade. And you can safely Alt+Tab without the game crashing.

BruceVC

Magister

Both excellent RPG that capture open world and no map hand holding brilliantly and the type of design where you get rewarded for exploring

I played G2 recently and I would suggest Raven for Gothic 2. I also dont recall loading any " must have " mods

But G2 is one of my favourite RPG of all time, its such a long game and the different regions provide a variety of encounters and things to do

I am going to miss PB :(

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Both excellent RPG that capture open world and no map hand holding brilliantly and the type of design where you get rewarded for exploring

I played G2 recently and I would suggest Raven for Gothic 2. I also dont recall loading any " must have " mods

But G2 is one of my favourite RPG of all time, its such a long game and the different regions provide a variety of encounters and things to do

I am going to miss PB :(
My nigga. Games are not performative art, shit doesn't disappear just because the studio got closed. Remember to cram your Gothic installers on a bunch of offline pendrives, DVDs, and what not.
We shall still play the shit out of Gothic after the Kali Yuga.

Fargus

Arcane
Play Archolos, G1 and G2 one by one and you're in for a treat.

I prefer Gothic 2 with NotR. It grinds my gears sometimes because of autistic balance and difficulty but Gothic is one of the games where i can forgive getting pushed around by everyone. I get off to that shit knowing that i will become powerful and rape anything that stands in my way. The character growth process and rewarding feeling are two of the best things in Gothics.

Just make sure to go either Str or Dex because in G2 NotR, you can't have both like in G1. Or go magic build.

BruceVC

Magister

I prefer Gothic 2 with NotR. It grinds my gears sometimes because of autistic balance and difficulty but Gothic is one of the games where i can forgive getting pushed around by everyone. I get off to that shit knowing that i will become powerful and rape anything that stands in my way. The character growth process and rewarding feeling are two of the best things in Gothics.

Just make sure to go either Str or Dex because in G2 NotR, you can't have both like in G1. Or go magic build.
This was the second time I played G2, the first time was about 12 years ago and I decided to be a Fire Mage, I typically choose a magic user in games. And after completing the complicated and long winded Fire Mage trials I eventually ended up in the dragon area and I couldnt kill any dragons. They were too powerful for my character and his magic and I kept dying so I raged quit

Then the second time was 18 months ago and I became a Paladin and it was a brilliant choice especially when you get access to Paladin spells

I always wondered if other people had issues defeating the Dragons as a Mage or was it just my bad strategy in combat?

But you right about combat and high level enemies in Gothic games. You learn to run away and come back later

Thats how all RPG should be, none of this level scaling garbage. There should always be enemies and regions on the map that are a challenge until you the appropriate level

But Gothic games are also great for exploring, you get given vague directions like " a chest north of the temple " and then you need to put effort in. I like that type of map design

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Regarding NOTR, in my view it's strictly superior to the base Gothic 2 and worth playing because the new content it adds is great. The balance changes are more up for discussion, but I also believe they improve the game, and furthermore - if you intend to play the games in succession, it's only a net benefit for G2 to play differently to G1, because otherwise the mechanics are almost identical.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What about the newb that neva played? Original GOG (because that's what I have) with DLC or is gog version a buggy mess? I actually have the CDs.... some fucking where in the labyrinth of Rat House but I ain't going there. I mean... do I really need to play an Irl trash mob adventure just to procure the discs, escape and then install to play the game? Seems like a lot of work.

On day rats...
ONE DAY

VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE!

ferratilis

Magister
Since they added Steam workshop support, you might install some of the basic fixes or texture packs. Although even the base version was updated to work well with modern systems, so it's up to you. And play with NotR.

This is what I used for G1:
00aL554.png

And G2:
5olck2W.png

Fargus

Arcane

This was the second time I played G2, the first time was about 12 years ago and I decided to be a Fire Mage, I typically choose a magic user in games. And after completing the complicated and long winded Fire Mage trials I eventually ended up in the dragon area and I couldnt kill any dragons. They were too powerful for my character and his magic and I kept dying so I raged quit

Then the second time was 18 months ago and I became a Paladin and it was a brilliant choice especially when you get access to Paladin spells

I always wondered if other people had issues defeating the Dragons as a Mage or was it just my bad strategy in combat?

But you right about combat and high level enemies in Gothic games. You learn to run away and come back later

Thats how all RPG should be, none of this level scaling garbage. There should always be enemies and regions on the map that are a challenge until you the appropriate level

But Gothic games are also great for exploring, you get given vague directions like " a chest north of the temple " and then you need to put effort in. I like that type of map design

I never played as a mage but it's considered the hardest playstyle. My friends that did suffered a lot at the beginning. I would try it but to be honest i just hate gay magic robes and the idea of wasting LPs on warrior skills just so you could survive early on.

Dextrous bowman is the easiest playstyle btw. And strength is medium with one handed being much better than two handed because of the speed.

I also played as a paladin last time. It was great fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom