Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

R.U.S.E.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Is it good?

Achilles

Arcane
I played the demo and uninstalled it immediately. It's a console RTS, that should tell you everything you need to know.

Archibald

Arcane
I understood that it was crap from watching that trailer where two guys are playing like "hardcore" tacticians. One of the most retarded things i have ever seen.

YourConscience

Scholar
As posted in another thread, I don't get what people hate so much about this game. It's easily the best RTS I've ever seen! The map usage is really good, as in, you have to and can take advantage of the entire map, you can stage ruse attacks and steamroll the enemy all the while shortly thereafter from a different direction. Micromanaging tropps doesn't help at all and it's a good mix of balancedness and disbalancedness. I found myself playing the beta as much as I could as long as it was free.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Console RTS=shit. Stormrise, Order of War, this....

Why do they bother? They are so desperate to try and move everything to the 'promised land' of Fucktardville that they don't even realise that consoles cannot be used for RTS.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Doesn't have a german campaign. Shit.

EDIT : Fuck. Yes it does. I would totally buy it, but turns out its also on PC AFAIK. I'll take the PB edition.

Achilles

Arcane
YourConscience said:
As posted in another thread, I don't get what people hate so much about this game. It's easily the best RTS I've ever seen!

Huh. Maybe the demo doesn't do it justice then. I'm willing to keep an open mind, but the impression I got from the demo is that it's like a "RTS for dummies". The controls were also kind of weird and the cutscenes were awful. Maybe the game has hidden depth that is not apparent in the demo?

YourConscience

Scholar
Tramboi said:
Try it multiplayer.

This. The game is not about watching the debris falling off a wall when a tank shoots through it (Company of Heroes). It's really about the strategy. You normally play it way zoomed out. In fact, I almost forgot you could even zoom in at some point. They should just don the 3D engine and port it to a 2D sprite engine. Then people wouldn't confuse it with run of the mill RTSes. I think this is really one of those gems that will tank simply because everyone mistakes it for what it is not: the newest aweinspiring 3D FPS-RTS and then gets disappointed be the mediocre 3D stuff. Here really the core game is good and very solid. Try it in MP.

YourConscience

Scholar
Ok, examples. Germans have strong tanks, bad aviation. When playing against a german you can either invest in AT, or AA at the very beginning. It is less likely he attempts an early paradrop on your base because he has a longer way to actually perform it and it will cripple is economy for a bit. It is much easier for him to try an early tank rush. So you deploy some AT at first.

Then you see some unidentified heavy units moving your direction. You ATs so far probably would be enough, but because he went apparently this way, you invest in more AT. Suddenly a plane comes flying and a paradrop inf takes you base, you loose. Your mistake was to be afraid of those heavy units, which turned out to be fake units anyway and you didn't invest in AA at all.

Next game: you invest some in AT, some in AA. But this time it turns out those heavy units were real, and more than your AT could handle. Your mistake? You didn't buy a single scout who could've found out in time what's what.

These are just beginner battles. Pro battles are much more involved series of calculated risks which you throw at each other, until one of the two makes a mistake, or doesn't go through with something he began (happened to me a few times where I initiated a tank rush, got held up by a few desparate AT, could've steamrolled them, but was afraid of what else he was cooking up in his base and so ultimately failed to attack).

Once I built some tanks, found him building lots of AT, let the tanks stand around, built a number of bombers, found he upgraded to lots of AA, then built some artillery, found that it couldn't do shit because I couldn't keep my scouts alive near his AT hidden in the woods and lost, because through my fuddled attempts of sniping him with the souts/arty combination lost track of time and missed the clues that were leading up to his sudden huge air bomber assault, which was way oversized for my meek afterthought-AA anyway. So in the end he won despite having earned and spent much less resources than me (he was kind of stuck in his base because of my tanks ruling the map).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
How does scouting work? One thing I can't stand in typical RTSes is having to manually micro my scout everywhere. And is there much micro in general, or is it an actual macro-level strategy game?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Castanova said:
Sounds kinda luck-based..
Not really, given the combination of the moderately slow pace and the production system, you can react and adapt your strategy constantly. It's more about information control and psychological pressure.

Castanova said:
Also, rock-paper-scissor-ish which is never a good thing in strategy games.

I guess this is a cornerstone of wargames.
Except a scissor ambushed in a forest or town can destroy a stone.
And you can hide you stone as a paper with a "ruse" :)

Everything is well balanced because of the 2 public beta tests.

Disclaimer for clarity purpose : I am one of the main coders of the 3D engine, so my advice is a bit biased indeed :M

YourConscience

Scholar
The thing with the scouting does require a little microing, but not as in other RTS. It's different here. In other RTS you constantly have to send a number of units here and there, keep them on the move. Here it's more about the proper placement of scouts, and about having a few ready once you need to artillery enemy positions, or find out whether that attack over there is for real.

It really feels more like a proper combined arms approach. You will rarely succeed just by building 10 Panthers and moving them to the enemy base. 5 panthers, 5 artillery and 2 scouts would do so much more damage.

edit: I am not in any way tied to the RUSE development. In fact, I don't even know who is doing RUSE. But it's nice to have one of their developers here on board.

kris

Arcane
YourConscience said:
Your mistake was to be afraid of those heavy units, which turned out to be fake units anyway and you didn't invest in AA at all.

How do you fake a heavy unit attack?

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
There is a "Reversed intel" ruse that converts non-reconned heavy units in light units and vice-versa.
Or you can "Decoy" to create 100% fake units.

Multi-headed Cow

Tramboi said:
Disclaimer for clarity purpose : I am one of the main coders of the 3D engine, so my advice is a bit biased indeed :M
podpeople.jpg

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Don't JohnCleese me, man!
(I am more of a Graham Chapman type myself, alcohol-wise)

(Is it even John Cleese? Looks like him)

Lightknight

Liturgist
So, its basically console-type multiplayer-first game ? Meh, there is way too many MP games anyway, who the fuck cares. I want human interaction - i go to my friend to play Halo3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom