Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RAGE - New screenshots..

ortucis

Prophet
Gamespot update notification after a long time..

:obviously:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
939980_20110126_640screen001.jpg

I thought he had fallen off the bike at first, but... what exactly happened to him to put his legs in this position?

ortucis

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
I thought he had fallen off the bike at first, but... what exactly happened to him to put his legs in this position?

Err.. is that an awkward position for someone who is falling back after being shot? (also, there's a bolt in his chest)

Quake Wars was awesome. I played the demo for like 30 hrs (wanted to buy but.. forgot) and only game I remember sniping from one end of the map to the other end on a strategic location on a cliff.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quake wars is imo shit just as any quake but except that I really like Id's games so I will probably buy Rage when it comes out. I've been following this game lately.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There's still a loyal following to Quake Wars. Everything in this game has a solid feel - from generally perfect audioscape to the way the Goliath walks, to the unwieldy but powerful Hyperblaster.

I've become pretty good at this game; it's addictive as hell, because there's some room for creativity.

Once I mastered the style of a self-healing medic DieHard and ran around the backward innards of the enemy base killing them one by one with a shotgun.

Another time, one of us planted the charge on their generator, but we were about to get mowed, so I planted a mine near that charge. I got killed promptly but in those deciding seconds my mine blew up the engineer who ran up to disarm.

Most recently a guy caught me by surprise and I had 6% health and a ticking grenade in my hands, ducking into base entrance, I turned around and let it go. It flew behind him as he killed me, and then the blast made his corpse fly over me.

There's nothing quite like running a Hog into a flyer that's trying to take off, blowing it to smithereens, hearing the beep of a charging rocket launcher and ducking behind a corner as the rocket whooshes by your head.

denizsi

Arcane
They look a far cry from the initial screenshots & video footage. First shot is misleading due to the angle, focal distance and the light but the art direction of the other two shots is generic console piece of shit that's trapped between a weird anime-influenced crap and grittism plane.

I wasn't crazy about the initial look when the game first surfaced but at least it didn't look bad. This looks... just sad. Selling out to Bethesda has that effect on things, I guess.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing that interests me about rage is that the doom3 engine should be open sourced when it comes out.

Ah the dark mod is awesome.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, my only hope for this is that it pulls off what Borderlands ultimately failed to do. That and the ability to play it on my current (outdated) PC. But seriously, it's moronic that games like this get hyped three to five years in advance of their release.

Divinity: Original Sin
The crossbow and the car have something on then that feels like a cel-shaded graphics, though it is not. It kind of reminded me of borderlands.

ortucis

Prophet
Metro said:
Eh, my only hope for this is that it pulls off what Borderlands ultimately failed to do. That and the ability to play it on my current (outdated) PC. But seriously, it's moronic that games like this get hyped three to five years in advance of their release.

It's the tech that is being hyped. Even id guys (Willits) in interviews said it clearly that RAGE is a pure FPS with minor RPG additions (play Wolfenstein, the new one, which is awesome and take the weapon upgrade system from that into RAGE) in the end. The hype is about the megatextures which are making idTech5 look so sexy on all platforms.

@Darth Slaughter
RAGE development started way before Borderlands was even announced (and Fallout 3 as well from what I remember).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ortucis said:
...play Wolfenstein, the new one, which is awesome..

On that we'll have to disagree. I thought the new Wolfenstein was horrible compared to 'Return.' So, basically Rage isn't going to have very many ARPG-ish elements and is mostly just about cutting edge graphics/engine?

:decline:

Divinity: Original Sin
ortucis said:
@Darth Slaughter
RAGE development started way before Borderlands was even announced (and Fallout 3 as well from what I remember).

Well, the thing is the "cel-shading" effect, which I noticed only today in the new screenshot, though I know it doesn't have cel-shading. And I didn't play Borderlands either, just saw some screens.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Metro said:
On that we'll have to disagree. I thought the new Wolfenstein was horrible compared to 'Return.' So, basically Rage isn't going to have very many ARPG-ish elements and is mostly just about cutting edge graphics/engine?

I liked the latest Wolfenstein... singleplayer, anyway. Just like Quake 4 before it and Singularity after it was simply a polished and fun shooter, no frills or innovations. Raven just makes shooters that feel "right," for lack of a better term. I dig 'em.

That said it was like a 5 out 10 in general, I mean they are nothing special.

Rage looks good, I like the design on the mayor character. I have moderately high expectations... of course, I liked Doom 3 as well, so what do I know.

ortucis

Prophet
I hated RTCW but loved the new one (just like Singularity, underrated shooters from Raven, thanks to Activision). :P

RAGE, from the preview videos I have seen, looks like it has a lot of Arcanum like "blueprint > collect parts > create stuff" going on. That and huge open world with side-missions spread all over.

If you have played a game called REDLINE from Accolade/Beyond Games (awesome game, before HALO was even born) then Rage is mixing Redline and Arcanum blueprint upgrades. That's a personal impression from all the videos so far.

We really are on a graphics plateau now aren't we?

These aren't really that much better than games already out there.

I wonder if the devs will start changing their tactics when they catch on to it properly.

denizsi

Arcane
Turds loving a railroaded console shooter more than a true PC shooter ITT.

Last edited:
Looks like they wanted to create realistic graphics first but then found out that console graphics look like shit and went for an artistic artstyle instead. "Borderlands"-style.

Fucking consoles.

Exmit

Scholar
Good name for the game if it's gonna suck. (I bet it's already an inside dev team joke )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom