Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage on.

Dexter

Arcane
For a game made by a supposed technical genius it has an amazing amount of technical flaws. When the forums where filled with raging customers who couldn't run the game there never was any dev response, while Carmack himself was twittering about his newfound love for do-it-yourself rockets. After all this time the game is still a mess on a shitload of setups. Guess Carmack really did not give a shit.
It really shows that the PC version wasn't a priority (to say the least), but honestly after fixing the worst of the "low resolution texture" stuff and the horrible PopIn every time when turning around to only happen once on Level load it has been rather impressive so far. I kind of like the variety in the landscape a lot and especially the Megatexture art assets and the character models at large have been remarkable so far: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dexter111/screenshots/?appid=9200&sort=newestfirst

Also see: http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=59
statesman.jpg

rollinstone.jpg

lawgiver.jpg

landofthedead.jpg

watchmen.jpg

backtonature.jpg

digyourownhole.jpg

dusttodust.jpg
I really wouldn't mind a game using this tech not being hampered by the last console generation and the size requirements and amount of RAM it had, as well as possibly using some of the new texture Tech since then like tiled resources in conjunction:

UserNamer

Cipher
lol I actually remember reading this thread before deciding no to bother with rage... but then the free weekend came and I had no problems at all with the gfx (maybe they fixed most of the flaws in the mean time).

Also a pretty fun game (it's a modern game but it's a lot funnier than other modern shooters)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The worst part about Rage was that once you got past the technical issues you realised what a boring, shit game it was.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ensemble, another (once) wealthy studio from Texas, shut doors very quickly despite past successes due to just one commercial failure.

False. Ensemble was shut down by Don Mattrick because their portfolio and expertise (PC RTS) didn't fit into his narrow Xbox program. They were always viable and profitable, but MS has a history of doing stupid things.

id Soft otoh stopped being viable after Quake 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Doom 3 made a fuckton of money and reviewed extremely well. Rage was their only disappointment sales wise, and it was likely only a disappointment because of its lengthy dev time and id's pedigree.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Doom 3 made a fuckton of money and reviewed extremely well. Rage was their only disappointment sales wise, and it was likely only a disappointment because of its lengthy dev time and id's pedigree.

Viable in a sense that they stopped being the (perceived) vanguard of FPS developers.

Id doesn't know where it belongs to these days. It has no mission, no plans, no strength. All it has is it's glorious past. They're a fossile kept alive by positive sentiments of the ol' days, and unless they manage to reinvigorate Doom 4 to be something genuinely exciting, I don't see a future for them anymore as a AAA developer. With Carmack leaving it just furthermore amplified this dire fact.

Bethesda won't keep that fucker around just to let them make boring shooters that sell 300k and have a metacritic of 70%. Bethesda doesn't do that anymore.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Viable in a sense that they stopped being the (perceived) vanguard of FPS developers.

I'd agree with that, though I don't know if that was Doom 3's failures or Call of Duty's successes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom