Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Cenobyte

Prophet
Yes, as expected, Shizuka is in as a heroine. My research stay in Japan will give me an excellent opportunity to study this game in depth :cool:

:bounce:

Translation from 4chan:

The Helman Empire,
a great military power with a rich history.

For a long while it was the mightiest nation,
but now it decays under a corrupt government.

A rebellion or an invasion--

As the people envision its demise,
a man who was once driven from his country rises up.

The prince who once failed in his overambition and fled,
Patton Misnarge.

Vowing to reclaim his country,
he grew strong and returned.

"I'll gather powerful warriors I've met in my travels
and accomplish this revolution with an elite few."

Putting the final touches on his plan, Patton asked
the strongest brute warrior, Rance, for his help.

"Rance 9: Helman Revolution" is
a game about managing former Prince Patton,
who has risen up to save his homeland, the "Helman Empire,"
from the decay caused by its corrupt government.
And managing the brute warrior Rance, who commands
an elite force of the rebel army's strongest warriors,
to achieve a successful revolution.

The story is organized in chapters.

The events that will occur and
the story's progression will be very clear.

Progress through the events to enjoy the story.

There will be dirty events too, of course!

This time, Rance wants to make seven
girls particularly smitten with him...

How will rich relationships with the heroines
impact the story...?!

Events with the [Battle] icon
will involve combat.

After preparations are complete, the battle begins!

Rout the attacking enemies!

The showy "special attacks" are a must-see too!

Advance skillfully through the battles
by customizing your "floating fortress"...

And enjoy various battle strategies including
defending, rather than solely advancing.

Your enemy is the huge, militaristic nation,
the Helman Empire

Formidable soldiers stand in
Rance's army's way!

Will the "revolution" succeed...?!
See its conclusion for yourself.

4.2 is at 80% (2-3 weeks maybe?) and Kichikou recently surpassed the 40%.

I think I will start the 4.1 LP soon.

Stessel, presumably the most badass character in Helman (final boss?):

xB6Xu8B.jpg

:kingcomrade:

LOL.

SPOILER

More like dirty daugtherfucker.

In Kichikou I think Minerva removes her from premises. No clue of what will happen here.

Maybe we can romance Minerva instead :smug:

Man there is so much cool shit they could come up with having an operative Toushin Toshi, like Freak becoming Toushin Omega

1394418407590.png

Those motherfuckers when at 100% could wipe armies on their own, and even if they could't directly harm Dark Lords they would last on a fight for days or even years, until their opponents will get bored and leave.

4.2 should be out in 1-2 weeks.
I plan on starting the Rance 4.1 and 4.2 LP this week if you guys are interested.

Is not particularly long, but it should contain some lulz.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Quest's script isn't that big. It just has a shit translator.

Kichikuou Rance's script is 62490 lines, Magnum Opus Rance Quest is 99955 lines, but a lot of that is fluff (it nearly doubled from normal Rance Quest).

For comparison, Fate/stay night had 94127 lines and YU-NO 98392 lines, both being much more "pure text" instead of scripting and repeated strings.

Arunaru

Novice
Quest's script isn't that big. It just has a shit translator.

Kichikuou Rance's script is 62490 lines, Magnum Opus Rance Quest is 99955 lines, but a lot of that is fluff (it nearly doubled from normal Rance Quest).

I'm not sure where you got your Quest Magnum numbers, but I see you got the KR script size off that TL Wiki page that's often inaccurate. Kichikuou Rance has ~125000 lines as lines are normally measured, which is to say counting text up to a newline as a single line, but with the System 3.x tools lines are presented in chunks, so using that script's numbers you have closer to that 60000~ number. I've got 66140 though for that though, so I don't know how TL Wiki got their numbers really. Of course, KR's lines are limited in length outside of CG scenes due to the text bubble size as compared to Quest or a game like FSN, so there's that to consider.

Whereas Quest + Magnum has a good ~115000 lines by my check. This is including all strings on top of messages, though, there's like 12000 strings. I have no idea how much of that might be repeat lines, but just from playing the game I can say it's a script of non-negligible size. It's pretty big, likely bigger than KR's in terms of sheer text.

Anyways.

So one of the translators found his way into this cesspool friendly neighborhood. Welcome.

Looking forward for Kichickou Rance.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Whereas Quest + Magnum has a good ~115000 lines by my check. This is including all strings on top of messages, though, there's like 12000 strings. I have no idea how much of that might be repeat lines, but just from playing the game I can say it's a script of non-negligible size. It's pretty big, likely bigger than KR's in terms of sheer text.

I have the script dumped on by hard-drive, though I can't remember if I did some clean-up on it afterwards (I only needed it for potential LP/selective translation of challenging kanji). From what I have seen, the script isn't nearly as tough nut to crack as Daiteikoku, for example (130.000+ lines). But like Daiteikoku, the biggest barrier to getting the game translated is the game itself...

Arunaru

Novice
So one of the translators found his way into this cesspool friendly neighborhood. Welcome.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have the script dumped on by hard-drive, though I can't remember if I did some clean-up on it afterwards (I only needed it for potential LP/selective translation of challenging kanji). From what I have seen, the script isn't nearly as tough nut to crack as Daiteikoku, for example (130.000+ lines). But like Daiteikoku, the biggest barrier to getting the game translated is the game itself...

Well, Daiteikoku has the single longest script for an Alicesoft game to my knowledge, so anything will look smaller by comparison. And the only real barrier to Alicesoft games being translated now is someone being willing to translate them, hacking is mostly done for most games. Not exactly a lot of people lining up there, not just for Alicesoft but for eroge in general. It's a lot of effort with little real payback. For a game as long as Daiteikoku you would have to really, really love it to have the drive to translate that whole script, and nobody likes Daiteikoku that much. Nobody's ever even attempted Daiakuji which is a much better game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Well, Daiteikoku has the single longest script for an Alicesoft game to my knowledge, so anything will look smaller by comparison. And the only real barrier to Alicesoft games being translated now is someone being willing to translate them, hacking is mostly done for most games. Not exactly a lot of people lining up there, not just for Alicesoft but for eroge in general. It's a lot of effort with little real payback. For a game as long as Daiteikoku you would have to really, really love it to have the drive to translate that whole script, and nobody likes Daiteikoku that much. Nobody's ever even attempted Daiakuji which is a much better game.

That's too bad. I haven't played it because so much hasn't been translated, but I liked the idea of a Big Bang Age game in space. Too bad it didn't love up to expectations, gameplay-wise.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Grinolf

Arcane
More so, it looks even uglier than RQ. I really hope, that it isn't a final version and there would be some improvements before release. And still I don't understand what was wrong with 2D.

I would have prefered 2D, but for me it's good enough. Fulfills it's function and the cartoonish feel works OK with me.

Grinolf

Arcane
I would have prefered 2D, but for me it's good enough. Fulfills it's function and the cartoonish feel works OK with me.
I also didn't expect Witcher 3 graphic from R9, but these screenshot remind me about time, when 3D was considered as something new and cool, but developers still didn't know what exactly to do with it. So they put it everywhere, often in poor quality amd out of place only for the sake of having 3D. But now 3D is a such banal thing, that even this reasons didn't make any sense anymore.

TigerKnee

Arcane
And still I don't understand what was wrong with 2D.
It's cost-saving. Cheap ugly looking 3D is MUCH cheaper than sprites that need to be of a certain quality in 2014.

Spriting is an art that's dying out in Japan I believe. Like literally the people who know how to draw and animate good sprites are probably getting old and dropping out of the industry and most of the Anime industry is outsourced to Korea. Notice how games like Guilty Gear with lavish 2D animations in the early entries is also now going 3D with later installments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom