Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I guess we're not getting rance quest this year, but hey, it's something!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Gross incompetence, greed, general stupidity. They get the translation practically for free, yet it takes YEARS to get the release out.

Rance Quest was announced 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw RQ preorders at Q3 of 2021.

Fan translation of RQ would've been out 2018.

Honestly I doubt fan TL would pick Rance Quest at all. Rance has been popular since before Sengoku but we never really did get any fan TL (not even project announcement iirc) for the sequels I think? This includes a lot of alicesoft titles too.

Probably have something to do with having major gameplay element that makes hacking more difficult?

And not sure about greed, but TL of VN is kinda not that profitable iirc, especially for games that can't be All Aged into Steam. IIRC I read that non Steam tile barely get sold for 1000 copies. Rance is an exception because of Rance. Even then compared to Steam based titles it probably still sells worse.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The same people who were translating it were "employed" by Mangagamer, that is why there are no fan projects.

Didn't the main translator fuck away with a passive-aggressive Twitter chain denouncing MG as a bunch of hacks that underpaid him and crying extensively?

I can't even find the original Tweet, he must have nuked everything after the fact.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC Mangagamer also hates its own fanbase according to some Discord pics I saw in OAG and other places. They also may change the writing to make future Rance works more "socially acceptable" nowadays, but that's a worst case scenario.

Maxie

Mangagay makes top dollar on wholesome gay smut content like Kindred Spirits on the Roof, them publishing AliceSoft titles seems to be a weird coincidence

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And not sure about greed, but TL of VN is kinda not that profitable iirc, especially for games that can't be All Aged into Steam.
To be fair though, they managed to get evenicle on there. And if they were half decent at marketing, you'd think they'd be able to go "hey, if you want more stuff like this here's our website for some xcloosive titles" and manage to convert a decent number of people.

You can tell they sorta tried with the "streaming version" of sengoku, but I guess it still wasn't allowed on steam.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
"hey, if you want more stuff like this here's our website for some xcloosive titles"

this is actually against Seam TOS and probably all other stores TOS

You can tell they sorta tried with the "streaming version" of sengoku, but I guess it still wasn't allowed on steam.

I mean compared to Evenicle, Rance as a game is having the main character actively raping people, you can't really put a spin out of that unless you remove like half the dialogue.

lightbane

Arcane
To be fair though, they managed to get evenicle on ther
And it was almost a miracle, because like the infamous Rape Day that jumpstarted the random censorship, there are multiple rape scenes against women of variable horribleness.
Of course, it's not like the protagonist is like Rance, but still, there are hardcore scenes. Plus one of the waifus is a loli to boot, which are especially hated nowadays.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Yesterday's blog entry by Development Support staff, Standstill:

Hello everyone, this is Standstill.
I'm sure many of you must be going "Who? Literally who?" right now.

I'm a (relatively) new recruit at the Alicesoft offices, and also the first Hanny in the whole team who has been "manufactured" overseas. Want to guess where I'm from? Go ahead! I'll give you a few tries.

- The US? Bzzzt! Wrong.
- Turkey? Nope! Although I get that a lot (not sure why, really).
- Hanihon? I'm sorry but I don't think that's a real country.

I was lovingly molded by my parents in Italy.
I know, I know, that only raises even more questions. What's an Italian Hanny doing at Alicesoft? And do Haniwas even exist in Italy in the first place?!
Well, it's a long story! Take a glass of wine and a bowl of pasta and sit here with me while I tell you everything about myself.

Back in the mesozoic era (also known as 2010 CE), I was a wee pottery who loved shutting himself at home to play games day and night. On one fine day I stumbled upon Sengoku Rance, which had just been translated in English by a mysterious and elusive being known as "TakaJun". I instantly fell in love with it, flew to Japan and bought a legit copy while trying my best to learn everything about the company that developed it despite the language barrier. And I wanted to play the other titles in the series so much I found myself having to choose between two courses of action:

1.Patiently wait for a translation of another Alicesoft game to happen.
2.Move to Japan, study Japanese and infiltrate Alicesoft to work on the games myself.

Since I may be a little insane, I went for option no. 2! I worked worked worked, saved money money money, and finally moved to Japan in 2014. I enrolled in a Japanese school, then in a technical school to study programming and game design... and a whopping 10 years later from the moment I first touched Sengoku Rance, here I am!

Wow, what an amazing trip it has been... I can hardly believe it myself. But you know what? Even though I finally managed to achieve this dream, it feels like I've only arrived at the starting line. The real challenge starts from here on, and my next objective is to make everyone properly understand that Alicesoft is the no.1 eroge brand in the whole universe! The first step to achieve that has been the creation of an official English Twitter account, so please leave us a follow!

https://twitter.com/Alicesoft_en

There's so much to do, and I can't wait to walk down this amazing path with all of you! The golden Haniwa age is nearly upon us!

Source: https://www.alicesoft.com/information/2020/entry002641.html

lightbane

Arcane
Watch out that this is not a SJW infiltrator trying to corrupt the place. He's probably not one though, seeing the lack of pronouns and a ugly photo.

Tyrr

Liturgist
IIRC Mangagamer also hates its own fanbase according to some Discord pics I saw in OAG and other places. They also may change the writing to make future Rance works more "socially acceptable" nowadays, but that's a worst case scenario.
I wonder if that man-hating Fata Morgana translator still works for Mangagamer.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
What is the difference between 02 and 02Kai? Mangagamer lets you download both, but no real explanation of what the difference is.

noob question: how do you manually save in Rance 01 ??
Go to the inn. You unlock it after various tutorials.

Endemic

Arcane
"Kai" means revised or improved. As LJ40 referenced, it means a rewritten script in this case.

Maxie

Evenicle 2 seems to be getting a rather competent Steam release sometime in the future, apparently translated and shipped in-house by AliceSoft

seems that even they are fed up with mankograbber incompetence

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom