Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I liked Way of the Samurai 3 a lot more than 4 so that's excellent news. I might even buy this one.
Care to explain more? I've only played 4 so far and it was my favorite game in 2015. Is it actually better or simply your preference? Which game of the series do you think is the best?

I liked the map and factions more in WotS3. I dislike the weapons in Samurai 4 because they only have a cosmetic difference now whereas in Samurai 3 finding a unique weapon drop meant something as they were statistically different from each other (you could get a good drop or a shit drop of the same weapon and it actually meant something when upgrading your weapon) and because weapon styles were tied to the weapons so it was a lot more exciting to try new weapons. I don't like how in WotS4 weapons basically had 1 stat for damage and defense whereas in WotS3 they were seperate stats on your weapons.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I liked Way of the Samurai 3 a lot more than 4 so that's excellent news. I might even buy this one.
Care to explain more? I've only played 4 so far and it was my favorite game in 2015. Is it actually better or simply your preference? Which game of the series do you think is the best?

I liked the map and factions more in WotS3. I dislike the weapons in Samurai 4 because they only have a cosmetic difference now whereas in Samurai 3 finding a unique weapon drop meant something as they were statistically different from each other (you could get a good drop or a shit drop of the same weapon and it actually meant something when upgrading your weapon) and because weapon styles were tied to the weapons so it was a lot more exciting to try new weapons. I don't like how in WotS4 weapons basically had 1 stat for damage and defense whereas in WotS3 they were seperate stats on your weapons.
Hmm, the weapon being not much different didn't really bother me when I first play it, but having better weapon prog would actually make a lot of difference in my enjoyment. Thanks. It's on my hype list now.

The map was larger/more varied/ or...?

Well, that's unfortunate. (Plus version was never released outside of Japan.)

Is the Plus version that different?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Hmm, the weapon being not much different didn't really bother me when I first play it, but having better weapon prog would actually make a lot of difference in my enjoyment. Thanks. It's on my hype list now.

The map was larger/more varied/ or...?

Mostly I just liked the rural Japan setting better in Samurai 3.

Anyway, some slightly interesting news from Shitaku for once

1uqW0io.png

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like NIS learned a thing or two about PC ports. They delayed the release of The Firefly Diary (not an RPG) by a month: http://steamcommunity.com/games/368640/announcements/detail/870690772759208306

Hi Everyone,

We've learned a lot about releasing games on Steam from our recent launch of Disgaea PC, and have decided to take time to apply what we've learned to make sure that the release ofhtoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary runs up to our standards and yours. Consequently, the original launch date of March 14th will now be pushed back to April 25th. This gives our team time for more testing and to smooth out any rough patches before launch. We hope you can understand the reasoning for the postponement and we apologize for any inconvenience.

For more information on the main protagonist, Mion and her helpful firefly guides, Lumen and Umbra, visit the official website here You can also add htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary to your Steam wishlist on the Steam store page to stay up-to-date with the launch!

Stay tuned for further announcements in these upcoming weeks! Have a great weekend, dood!

Best,
Robbie

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't suppose that means they're gonna patch Disgaea PC anytime soon.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I don't suppose that means they're gonna patch Disgaea PC anytime soon.
I would be very wary about any future patches for disgaea,the last time the game was patched it broke one of the locations,and the hotfix issued for it causes random crashing now.
I actually prefer the vanilla unpatched version compared to this.
At least the devs are acknowledging that there are issues,and are looking into it.

duanth123

Arcane
http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/

Reverie Under the Moonlight is the fourth entry in the Momodora series, a side-scrolling platformer focused on action gameplay, with melee combos, dodge mechanics and a plethora of items and spells to unleash upon your enemies. Play casually for the rich setting and mysterious story or crank up the difficulty to run your reflexes through a truly brutal gauntlet.

Not as difficult as advertised, at least on Hard, but a decent action platformer with tight controls and a familiar (*cough* dark souls), yet well-executed aesthetic.

edit: I know it doesn't quite fit, but I was too lazy to make a new thread.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/

Reverie Under the Moonlight is the fourth entry in the Momodora series, a side-scrolling platformer focused on action gameplay, with melee combos, dodge mechanics and a plethora of items and spells to unleash upon your enemies. Play casually for the rich setting and mysterious story or crank up the difficulty to run your reflexes through a truly brutal gauntlet.

Not as difficult as advertised, at least on Hard, but a decent action platformer with tight controls and a familiar (*cough* dark souls), yet well-executed aesthetic.

edit: I know it doesn't quite fit, but I was too lazy to make a new thread.

This game is really great. I haven't played any platformers for half a decade now, though, so I'm absolutely garbage at this. The game is a pretty good challenge for me even on Normal. The platforming is well though of so it's not a boring snooze and the boss fights have been excellent so far.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, my best guess would be that the Xbone version is digital-only, and NISA had to delay the Vita version for shipping reasons.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
siveon since you know more about SoSC than anyone else besides probably Dorarnae i gotta ask:

every single team muramasa game so far is a literal remake of their very first game, Wizardry XTH: Unlimited Frontier from way back in their PS2 days as the studio Michaelsoft.

they have literally not changed a single thing except the art.

Students of The Round, Cross Blood Labyrinth, etc: all of those games are re-skinned versions of Wizardry XTH. I don't even have to MENTION Generation XTH series as the clue is in the title.

Is SoSC fiiinally their second original game?

EDIT: and before anyone goes off about how Wizardry series did the exact same thing i'm gonna stop you with a big giant NOPE. each wizardry at the bare minimum featured entirely new dungeons. TM games do not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom