Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rate Wizardry 8

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
I'm still playing it and I'd like to know what you guys think of it.
To me is one of the best cRPGs ever made and perhaps the last TRUE cRPG since its release.

Chefe

Erudite
Interesting choices. I'd personally rate it "Wicked Cool".

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, I don't know about the last "true" CRPG, but it certainly is one of the top few CRPGs for me.
I think it is certainly the best of the first-person-party-blob-with-appendages CRPGs; like a brilliant mix of old and new.

I'd give it 8.5 shagadelics out of 10 on the shag-o-matic scale!
[ And any scale needs an explaination. So...err...for me that means very very good; with 6 being passable - might be worth a go, 7 being good, 8 being very good, and 9 being uber. 10 is pretty much unattainable :D ]

Also on the patented colour scale I'd rate it emerald green with some sporadic tiny flecks of black and red (not many though, mind) and some pleasing blues flowing through the middle.

Human Shield

Augur
It had lots of cool elements but I had to use a walkthrough; a lot of things were disjoined and unexplained. You get to a LOT of boring battles (slow even with max animation speed, definely should have had group enemy movement).

DarkSign

Erudite
Shagnak said:
[ And any scale needs an explaination. So...err...for me that means very very good; with 6 being passable - might be worth a go, 7 being good, 8 being very good, and 9 being uber. 10 is pretty much unattainable :D ]

Ok Im officially switching to the Shag-o-matic scale.

Section8

Cipher
I quite enjoyed Wizardry 8 as an old-schoolish hack and slash game. The only time I managed to finish it with a pair of Mook Bards. Those two fuckers were legendary by the end of it.

bryce777

Erudite
I was disappointed because it was not really as well balanced combatwise as the prequels. It is the only one besides the first one I didn't finish...I couldn't beat certain monsters without the high level spells and I was taking forever to recharge my spellcasters.

triCritical

Erudite
I really liked it. I have reservations regarding the combat! Its a bit hard between levels 7-11 and then too easy at the higher levels. That and the combat can drag. Not to mention some of the enemies like the vines are just a pain in the ass to fight, its just not fun, I go chameleon on their asses.

I also think it should had more ph4t l00t.

Other then that the game is great. Lots of replayability with a lot of different party configurations. And I think that is where the magic really is. I would rate it a 85/100. Hack and slash, party oriented games in an FP are still a load of fun. I think a Wiz9 would have fixed a lot of the problems.

DemonKing

Arcane
Overall, it was good old school fun - with a few negative points:

* The storyline would be incomprehensible if I hadn't played Wizardies 6 & 7.
* Sci-fi elements did not blend well with the traditional sword and sorcery combat.
* Some combats dragged too long.

I would rate it a pretty solid 8/10 - maybe an 8.5 if you're a die hard Wizardry fan.

corvax

Augur
Way too much combat and respawning enemies made give up 2/3 through the game. I just couldn't bear it anymore, unistalled it, sold it next day.

I did like the setting (even the sci-fi mix) with party dynamics better than Baldur's Gate IMO. Overall I'd say it's a decent game but flawed by too much reliance on combat.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
DemonKing said:
* Some combats dragged too long.
Yes, if I had a complaint, then this would be it. Even though you could speed up combat safely against some of the more insignificant combatants, it did get tedious.
Maybe they should have provided the ability to improve the speed of combat even further against piddly opponents (there is that mod, can't remember the name); and some of the areas could certainly have had their "wandering beasties" frequency reduced.

Strangely, I found that I actually relished the laboured combat when fighting critical battles. It seemed to work nicely in combats where tactics really mattered.

Oh mighty gaming gods, please give this sad bastard Wizardry 9.
(Oh, and make it good, cos I'm certain one day we'll all get sick of whining)

Twinfalls

Erudite
Shagnak said:
10 is pretty much unattainable :D ]

That's another thing I dislike about giving 'scores' - why so many reviewers (hello Edge) think that '10' can never be given. It's just daft, you can get the best game the reviewer has played but "oh, but 10 means a perfect game and there can never be a perfect game so it has to be 9".

Surely, if a game sets out to do something amazing, and succeeds in pretty much every way in its implementation, then it should get a 10. Anyway, scoring sucks. There are (were?) so many games, books, music that are so uniquely good that they can only be rated against themselves, so giving a number or percentage is just plain wrong.

Scoring gets a 2/10 from me.

corvax

Augur
80% or roughly 4 out of 5 people say that most types of numerical scoring tend to be misleading.

A perfect 10? Fallout.

LlamaGod

Cipher
It's above average so that means its 123/100 BECAUSE THATS JUST HOW THE PUBLIC SEES IT

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Yes, there're a couple of interesting user made mods and a OpenGL fix for ATi cards if you're playing the game or plan to.

I'd give this game 4 out of 5 neutral smileys:
:| :| :| :|

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
72.8 for boring combat
Yeah, somehow I only played 2 or 3 hrs of this game, iirc it bored me to tears. I played Wizardry IX longer, but also didn't finish it.

RuySan

Augur
Pr()ZaC said:
Yes, there're a couple of interesting user made mods and a OpenGL fix for ATi cards if you're playing the game or plan to.

I'd give this game 4 out of 5 neutral smileys:
:| :| :| :|

i've been playing this game with my 9600xt and dind't had any problems so far.

And the combat is really enjoyable, but i'm still in the beggining

Psilon

Erudite
Personally, I quite enjoyed Wiz8. The phase-based combat was a nice change from the RTWP crap I had been overexposed to, and the game's admirably light on hand-holding. There are hints to proceed from Marten waypoint to Marten waypoint, but you're never explicitly forwarded to a new location.

And the ability to two-time the T'Rang and Umpani was great. Also the fact that He'Li calls you on it at one point.

I do wish the characters (NPC and PC) had more dialog choices, though. In many cases NPCs didn't have responses for the most obvious of questions. (Asking Trynnies about Trynton or Arnika, for instance.) The party dynamics were nice but could have been heavier. Also, as stated earlier, some of the bigger low-level fights were just obnoxious, especially when the crowd-control attacks (e.g., Dracons' acid breath) didn't work. I ended up giving the Woodsman's Axe to my fighter, hasting him, and letting him berserk his way through a lot of the vine fights.

Second Chance

Liturgist
hussar said:
80% or roughly 4 out of 5 people say that most types of numerical scoring tend to be misleading.

A perfect 10? Fallout.

:lol: :lol: You people are so funny :lol: :lol:

Anyway, about Wiz 8, I didn't play it much because I wanted to use my imported chars from Wiz6->Wiz7 but I still hadn't finished Wiz7 at the time.

It looked enjoyable anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom