Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Pretty old action RPG I never heard about

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ohhhh!!! Black magic is awesome but best ending is appleII. It can be fucking hard too. Sometimes it's all luck. Hoarding shit can get you killed and sometimes you will love that god damn troll and beg for the roc to get get. Those fucking plant spitting baseballs can be assholes.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
dosgames site
they have a lot of weird games on that site.
too much share/shovelware and too many instances where they're one and the same on that site.
Once you get past Apogee and Epic titles you tend to end up with more bad than good. RPGs in particular tend to not be so good shareware-wise.

Anyway, Dungeons of the Unforgiven is good for a single-person dungeon crawler, but man, is it long. There are at least five huge dungeons, all randomly generated, so I doubt many have finished it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What game was this again?
IMG_7131.jpeg

I was trying to find the b/w macintosh pics of Shard of Spring & Demon's Winter, if any, and this was in the search engine but didn't link correctly.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What game was this again?
IMG_7131.jpeg

I was trying to find the b/w macintosh pics of Shard of Spring & Demon's Winter, if any, and this was in the search engine but didn't link correctly.
The text in your screenshot says "Your journey continues in the realm of Hera!" so I simply googled "Realm of Hera CRPG" and found a post by CRPG Addict playing an Ultima clone named Hera:
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2017/09/hera-won-with-summary-and-rating.html

EDIT:
Specifically, your screenshot is from the DOS version, subtitled The Sword of Rhin

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
Did you know, I bought that version with the fugly fucker and the game did NOT work? It was fucking borked right off the bat. And funny, later when I bought a boxed wizardry 8 it had two of the second disc but didn't have the first disc. The rest of the package was fine. And because I bought it and shelved it for a year before opening it (HEY! It was fucking only $5 on sale), I couldn't return it.
Fucking Sir Tech fuckery production.
:argh::argh::argh::argh:

The chick version looks better. Not sure why they thought bobble-fucking head was a good cover.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
Did you know, I bought that version with the fugly fucker and the game did NOT work? It was fucking borked right off the bat. And funny, later when I bought a boxed wizardry 8 it had two of the second disc but didn't have the first disc. The rest of the package was fine. And because I bought it and shelved it for a year before opening it (HEY! It was fucking only $5 on sale), I couldn't return it.
Fucking Sir Tech fuckery production.
:argh::argh::argh::argh:

The chick version looks better. Not sure why they thought bobble-fucking head was a good cover.
And here we have the simple answer to the age old question: Why did Sirtech go bankrupt?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
8291f9f228f7a131c0a748af496835bd.png
d2743b3a701439b5f1419195b94a0aeb.png

Der Druidenzirkel, some shitty attic RPG/adventure.

It's the infamous Druid: Daemons of the mind, one of the nails in Sir-Tech coffin.
You should have posted the original cover as well.

3947308-druid-daemons-of-the-mind-dos-front-cover.jpg
Lol the German distributors saw this and straight up said "Yeah we're not gonna use that cover. Here's what we'll do: half-naked barbarian chick, sinister wizard dude, spaceship and ancient ruins in the background. Got it?"

Higher quality version of that top tier box art:
1711725006297.jpeg

Jack Slash

Literate
Always neat to see the mentions of Druid every now and then.

When I was a kid and games were rare (and carefully circulated among friends on scratched, barely readable CDs), the top-tier game that everyone played was Baldur's Gate. So one day, a buddy of mine calls me all excited and proclaims that he found "an RPG just as awesome as Baldur's!" Naturally, I rush over to his place, we turn on the PC, and there's the effing Druid: Daemons of the Mind on the monitor. Which we still proceeded to play over the next couple of weeks, as there was simply nothing else available.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If it's made by Paragon, it's probably a piece of matabolism discharge matter.

BTW, it's covered (somewhat) on The CRPG Addict.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
8291f9f228f7a131c0a748af496835bd.png
d2743b3a701439b5f1419195b94a0aeb.png

Der Druidenzirkel, some shitty attic RPG/adventure.

It's the infamous Druid: Daemons of the mind, one of the nails in Sir-Tech coffin.
You should have posted the original cover as well.

3947308-druid-daemons-of-the-mind-dos-front-cover.jpg
Lol the German distributors saw this and straight up said "Yeah we're not gonna use that cover. Here's what we'll do: half-naked barbarian chick, sinister wizard dude, spaceship and ancient ruins in the background. Got it?"

Higher quality version of that top tier box art:
View attachment 48159

The German cover is better in every way, and not just because it has a naked woman or John Cleese. It has soul.

The British one is a typical bongland grotesque, but in a really bad way.

Odoryuk

Educated
Does Dawn of Magic count? It's pretty shitty though, maybe that's why it is so obscure. Taught me an important lesson to not to expect good games from a bargain bin.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Same goes for movies. Looks like the game has a sequel as well.
Dawn of Magic
Time of Shadows

Edit -- Is there sone sort of difference between the GoG version and the Steam version.

GOG is $2.99 & includes three other downloads for concept art, artworks, and

STEAM is $9.99 and you can view the manual.

Both are 2.5 gigs in size while the internet archive for first game is 4.5 gigs.

Reviews state meh to yuck in many cases. I guess the first game has issues why GOG/STEAM couldn't secure it for sale.

Edit again...

WARNING!!!
Before going through with the game launching I advise the use of the crack as the game uses the "Starforce Protection" which is a known harmful DRM that can break your system. Under no circumstances allow yourself to launch the game and install the Starforce driver. You've been warned!! Also be wary of other games that use the same Protection.

Last edited:

Jack Slash

Literate
Seems link from archive for starforce removal is borked. Maybe this page is better? https://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Anyone care to risk it on this game?
Do you refer to the link in the review on archive.org? The part that says "Download and start the SFREMOVE utility application (https://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvrem.zip) and wait for it to remove the Starforce protection from the computer." ?

If yes, then the poster simply pasted the link incorrectly. You can still download the very same StarForce removal utility from the official website by clicking here (sfdrvrem.zip).

On the topic of Dawn of Magic - I remember that when it released, the gaming magazines hyped it up something fierce and it was the hottest thing of the month thanks to the unique mechanic of changing your character's appearance based on the most commonly used magic type. And I think we were simply starved for a good Diabloid at the time, after beating the recently released Dungeon Siege 2. However, of my entire group of friends, only one guy had enough patience to play the game to completion, and he never mentioned it again for as long as I knew him.

Starforce didn't help, too - there was no easy way to share the disc among each other, so the game was destined to die in limbo.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
On the topic of Dawn of Magic - I remember that when it released, the gaming magazines hyped it up something fierce and it was the hottest thing of the month thanks to the unique mechanic of changing your character's appearance based on the most commonly used magic type.
Finally found these pics.
bone.jpgsumm.jpgcurse.jpgpent.jpgblood.jpglight.jpgbless.jpgearth.jpgair.jpgwater.jpgfire.jpgalch.jpg
The idea of wizards turning into something utterly inhuman as they become more proficient with their element was cool AF. Shame that the game itself was crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom