Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a RTS with good sp campaign

Poseidon00

Arcane
Impossible creatures is a personal favorite of mine. Just making shit in the army builder is entertaining enough. You have probably heard of Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. I would get KeeperFX for the original for bugfixes and general improvements, plus custom campaigns/maps

catfood

AGAIN
Impossible creatures is a personal favorite of mine. Just making shit in the army builder is entertaining enough. You have probably heard of Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2. I would get KeeperFX for the original for bugfixes and general improvements, plus custom campaigns/maps
The original DK has an extremely repetitive campaign mission structure where you are constantly forced to do the same things over and over again. It's more of a series of skirmish maps than a proper campaign. DK 2's campaign on the other hand is great. Every mission is unique and poses its own set of challenges.

Poseidon00

Arcane
DK1 does have you rebuild dungeons, but the maps themselves are well made and get better the more you progress. It's worth it to go into first person mode and explore for secrets because there is always a hidden passageway or two.

I fondly remember having to slaughter hundreds of creatures to raise an army of vampires to best the last level.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Original War, C&C like with few great twists.

The most important one is personel to man buiding and wehicles gain stats between missions and can perma die, later you can control wehicles remotely, or by computer, but at the cost of much lower stats. You can try to escape wehicle before it blow up.

But there are few more unique mechanics, while gamepley is simply C&C at its core. Mission design is amazing, simply the best and storyline and setting is fun. Overall better then any C&C game.
Second voice for Original War. One of the most, er, original games out there.

Another fun twist : You have maybe 20 to 30 guys available in all missions. If Bob dies level 2, Bob won't help you in the other missions. If you kill AI Ivan level 3, AI Ivan is gone (though in the case of the computer, I guess they would replace him by level 0 Pavel next time). There is a Soviet campaign so you can be the one killing Bob & Deborah, and trying to keep Ivan and Ekaterina alive.

Sadly, I never played the campaign in Iron Man like I almost always do now, but I guess it would be interesting to do and quite possible, if frustrating at times.

The original DK has an extremely repetitive campaign mission structure where you are constantly forced to do the same things over and over again. It's more of a series of skirmish maps than a proper campaign. DK 2's campaign on the other hand is great. Every mission is unique and poses its own set of challenges.
DK2, if for whatever reason you get past the cartoon/anime artstyle and idiotic creature AI, has a gimmick for each mission it's true. But this never reaches above the level of gimmick.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It's worth it to go into first person mode and explore for secrets because there is always a hidden passageway or two.
DK1 is great; the maps are great, finding secrets is fun, but they are all obvious on the map screen because they are quite often dug into the bedrock; easily seen from the map screen.

What I didn't like about the Windows version of DK1 was that the first person view lost all of the minion vision effects. Possess the fly, and the view was a hexagonal grid—stylized like a compound eye; possess the beetle, and the view was fish-eye lens distorted. Vampire vision was blood red tinted.

______

@Topic... Myth 1 & 2; great RTS games with great campaigns.

deama

Prophet
Battleforge has been rebuilt by fans and you can play it for free now. It's now called skylords.
Battleforge is a type of card RTS game. You can take up to about 24 cards into a mission with you and play them out if you have enough resources.
I think the best part about this game is not only do you get to see your cards come to life, but there's no RNG! You literally can pick any card from your deck as long as you have enough resources for it!
The game is much better with friends, but the community seems alive and well for now.

Link to setup:
https://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/4210-open-stress-test-all-you-need-to-know/

gameplay:

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh no he di'nt

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Battleforge has been rebuilt by fans and you can play it for free now. It's now called skylords.
Battleforge is a type of card RTS game. You can take up to about 24 cards into a mission with you and play them out if you have enough resources.
I think the best part about this game is not only do you get to see your cards come to life, but there's no RNG! You literally can pick any card from your deck as long as you have enough resources for it!
The game is much better with friends, but the community seems alive and well for now.

Link to setup:
https://forum.skylords.eu/index.php?/topic/4210-open-stress-test-all-you-need-to-know/

gameplay:

You been playing this yet? I am dying to play it again but I've been trying my best to wait for it to be 'finished'.

deama

Prophet

Link to setup:

gameplay:

You been playing this yet? I am dying to play it again but I've been trying my best to wait for it to be 'finished'.

Yeah I played it several months ago, was pretty finished actually.
Not sure about PvP too much, only played a few matches, but I think it's always been loose with pvp.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Still following this thread

Any good rts with base building, non fantasy, isometric top-down view like C&C etc.? Good graphics, good story?

flyingjohn

Arcane

Link to setup:

gameplay:

Yeah I played it several months ago, was pretty finished actually.
Not sure about PvP too much, only played a few matches, but I think it's always been loose with pvp.

Do you know if co op exist and is functioning maybe?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Cool I'll give it a go. I know they plan to wipe the servers in the next month or two but I can warm up :P I saw their to-do list and it looks like they already did most stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom