Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some good RTS games dammit

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would like to recommend some games myself.

First, Lords of Magic, which can certainly be gotten for a dollar or two. Granted, it is not an RTS game, more a 4X game like Master of Magic, but it has real-time combat! [Though the game would have been far, far, far better with turn-based combat...]

Secondly, the Warlords: Battlecry series is worth a shot. It's a real RTS game, but with a, beware, twist: You can advance the leading hero like you would in an RPG. Also, all normal units can gain quite many levels and even get names once they become veterans and can be carried over to the next mission. Highly immersive. [...]

What else? I thought that Earth 2150 was exceptionally good, especially the part about customizing one's own units. However, I seem to be the only one that shares my enthusiasm about that game.

Oh, and Dune 2. But a fairy told me you already played that.

To make a long story short: Total Annhilation is better than all of those.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
If you like Dunegeon Keeper, try out Startopia. I think I'm the only person who bought that game, and I've since lost the CD and that makes me sad. It's such a cool game.

Nedrah

Erudite
Jasede said:
[...]Secondly, the Warlords: Battlecry series is worth a shot. It's a real RTS game, but with a, beware, twist: You can advance the leading hero like you would in an RPG. Also, all normal units can gain quite many levels and even get names once they become veterans and can be carried over to the next mission. Highly immersive. [...]

I forgot about that one. Fun for a while, but tends to get repetitive - and you can get overpowered pretty fast if you play your cards right. I only played Warlords 3, so maybe the others are more unique.

Jasede said:
To make a long story short: Total Annhilation is better than all of those.

You're propably right... but since Dune2 got me into Pc gaming (actually, it was my motivation to get a pc at all, I was pretty content with Frogger on the c64 before) I suppose you can't really blame me for still thinking it's one of the best (purest?) RTS games. I know the fairy you're talking about, though.... So it had to stay off the list.

Nedrah

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
If you like Dunegeon Keeper, try out Startopia. I think I'm the only person who bought that game, and I've since lost the CD and that makes me sad. It's such a cool game.
I loved that game... as long as I was reading up on it. Unfortunately it didn't deliver "dungeon keeper in space".

Ryuken

Liturgist
whatusername said:
Does Knights of Honor count?
It's all real-time so yes I think. Great campaign-play and the battles aren't too bad also. Needs another patch but it's in the works I thought.

And TAK plays a lot more like TA than like WarCraft III. Of course, it's medieval fantasy now so BB's are replaced with trebuchets, there's a lot more close combat and there's magic but for the rest it's the same basics. It's still a matter of pumping out as much units as possible, not a case of micromanaging unit abilities like hell. The biggest difference is that the sides are much more varied and each side has less units. Don't expect twelve different shiptypes for one side f.e.. The economic model is reduced to one infinite resource instead of two; mana. Not really broken economics, you could call DoW's resource model broken as well then. There are pathfinding issues yes but I would try out the demo first and see then what you think of that. It's not crap but it also doesn't reach TA's level of quality.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
Oh man, I forgot all about Dawn of War. I think Greatatlantic recommended it to me a while back and linked me up with the demo and it was a blast. Dunno why I never got around to getting the full game. Thanks, Surlent.

TAK is only 10 bucks on amazon so I'll pick that up, too.

Let me recommend it again then. A bit heavy on the micro, but its focus on frontline attacks as oppose to "base building" and squad level units as oppose to individual units really made me like it. The fact combat and units are so well animated really is a big bonus. Only 4 civs (5 with X-pac), but for the most part they are pretty diverse and require different play styles.

Ryuken

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Not really broken economics, you could call DoW's resource model broken as well then.
Er, Dawn of War has two resources, first of all, and secondly their resource model isn't as poorly implemented.
Er, it doesn't matter that there are two resources in DoW, you still need to spread out on the map to get those requisition points as those are the most important resources (especially in the beginning stages), just like you'll need to put Lodestones out everywhere you can in TAK. The only thing that you could complain about is that, unlike in TA, you won't be able to be entirely self-sufficient if you stick to a small portion of the map, you really need to go out and build on enough mana spots to get a reasonable influx of mana (which is handled in the exact same way as the metal or energy bars in TA at the top of your screen, with + and -, only in TAK it's an orb in the bottom right of the screen). It's fairly simple but then again you'll have enough time to handle your troops in the field.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Er, it doesn't matter that there are two resources in DoW
Er, your point in your first post was that Dawn of War's resource model must suck because it has only one resource just like TAK. :roll:
retard said:
The economic model is reduced to one infinite resource instead of two; mana. Not really broken economics, you could call DoW's resource model broken as well then.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hm, neat. Was finally able to get ahold of the The Red Odyssey (the BattleZone expansion pack) earlier today. Some pretty good stuff right there. Wonder if people still play BZ multiplayer, doh. Will have to check that out.

Ryuken

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Er, your point in your first post was that Dawn of War's resource model must suck because it has only one resource just like TAK. :roll:
retard said:
The economic model is reduced to one infinite resource instead of two; mana. Not really broken economics, you could call DoW's resource model broken as well then.
Er, I really like to see where, in that sentence or anywhere else, you have read that I said that DoW only had one resource, if I take your idea of misinterpreting my words further you probably would have thought that I said that mana was also used in DoW. That wasn't the comparison I alluded to if that makes it clear for you (for the second time I am saying this). It was a general comparison and if you knew both games well enough you would have known what I was pointing at. DoW's resource model is comparable to that of TAK since you also need to go out and take several points on the map in order to get enough resources, doesn't matter if there's another resource also (which I never denied), requisition is the main resource you'll need. So, NOT broken at all, period.

Slith

Scholar
What! No Warzone 2100!? Blasphemy!

Wiki Article
Download Options

"The Collapse came fast and hard. Following a technical error in
the satellite defense system, nuclear warheads were fired at
Washington, Beijing and Moscow. Minutes later ground based sites
fired in response to the launch. Millions died as nuclear firestorms
wiped out the world's cities. Billions more died as plagues and
epidemics swept away what remained of civilization. Less than a
million people survived the Collapse. Earth broke into hundreds
of small scavenger bands battling each other for the remnants of
the former civilization. Only a few had the vision to attempt to
rebuild a new world from the ashes."

"You play as part of a group of survivors that, immediately after the Collapse, sought shelter in a military installation in the Rocky Mountains. After an unstated period of time has passed (Although going on the details of the plot it must be between 1 and 13 years), the group emerges from the installation and declares a goal of rebuilding the now-wrecked world." -wiki

My opinion of the game? Fucking Eh. Beats the shit out of Warcraft/Starcraft and their clones. Has some neat vehicle customization too, and the story is pretty engaging.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ryuken said:
kingcomrade said:
retard said:
Er, I really like to see where, in that sentence or anywhere else, you have read that I said that DoW only had one resource, if I take your idea of misinterpreting my words further you probably would have thought that I said that mana was also used in DoW. That wasn't the comparison I alluded to if that makes it clear for you (for the second time I am saying this). It was a general comparison and if you knew both games well enough you would have known what I was pointing at. DoW's resource model is comparable to that of TAK since you also need to go out and take several points on the map in order to get enough resources, doesn't matter if there's another resource also (which I never denied), requisition is the main resource you'll need. So, NOT broken at all, period.
:roll: Don't try to play word games, asshole. Just own up to your stupid mistakes like a man.

Ryuken

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Ryuken said:
kingcomrade said:
retard said:
:roll: Don't try to play word games, asshole. Just own up to your stupid mistakes like a man.
Sure, if I admit that it was poorly phrased then you should try to prove your statement that TAK's economy system was poorly implemented because you still haven't done so after all these posts. Deal or will you continue to talk stuff that's actually next to the matter at hand?

On-topic: try Original War. No big effects but an RTS that's quite different from what you see nowadays and it should be out at a bargain price (it's on sale in stores here for €3).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
you should try to prove your statement that TAK's economy system was poorly implemented
You forgot to ask for a minimum of citations and an annotated bibliography. I might ask you to prove that it wasn't poorly implemented and we'd get just as far.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I already gave enough reasons why it isn't so bad at all, apparently it's too hard (work) for you to go beyond a 'it is poorly implemented'-statement. We should all believe you then. :)

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
You forgot to ask for a minimum of citations and an annotated bibliography. I might ask you to prove that it wasn't poorly implemented and we'd get just as far.
You can say "I don't like TAK" and we will understand. TAK is like Warcraft3? What are you talking about? Have you ever seen TAK or Warcraft3 ? I don't think so.

RAG

Educated
An RTS I trully enjoyed is Perimeter. Have you tried it?
It's story was really strange and its single player campaign was on rails (each mission had only one way to defeat it) but it had some great great ideas and it did innovate in a LOT of things. Not a standard RTS for sure. I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
theverybigslayer said:
kingcomrade said:
You can say "I don't like TAK" and we will understand. TAK is like Warcraft3? What are you talking about? Have you ever seen TAK or Warcraft3 ? I don't think so.
You're right, I've never played either game.

talk2farley

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:

Why the fuck is it so damn cool to beat up on KC? Guess what, retards, TAK had the least well designed economy since the CCCP. Everything may as well have been free for all the strategy and critical-thinking skill their one resource system required. If you want "proof," play the stupid game. If you have, and you seriously think that was an example of how to design a resource model, then the TA series is right up your intellectual alley, which might in turn explain your love affair with TAK. Just be sure to wipe the puddle of drool off your keyboard occasionally.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
talk2farley said:
theverybigslayer said:

Why the fuck is it so damn cool to beat up on KC? Guess what, retards, TAK had the least well designed economy since the CCCP. Everything may as well have been free for all the strategy and critical-thinking skill their one resource system required. If you want "proof," play the stupid game. If you have, and you seriously think that was an example of how to design a resource model, then the TA series is right up your intellectual alley, which might in turn explain your love affair with TAK. Just be sure to wipe the puddle of drool off your keyboard occasionally.

Economy? What are you talking about? Have you seen a real rts? I don't think so.

Ryuken

Liturgist
talk2farley said:
theverybigslayer said:

Who is beating up who? I have definitely not been flaming KC or anyone else here. Trying to get a reason out of someone for some completely unfounded statements is an entirely other thing than what you are implying.

And this is getting funnier since there are still no reasons given for why it's so badly designed, after all these posts, only bigger shouts and stronger words that it's just like that. What's so bad about an RTS that has an economy system that encourages players to spread out on a map? Is it such a disaster that it has one resource less than TA? Maybe it's good for something you know, like being able to play more with your troops instead of wasting time doing the usual economy stuff. Playing in the field > basebuilding in TAK.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What's so bad about an RTS that has an economy system that encourages players to spread out on a map?
Source!! Source!! Support yourself lawl! I find it so funnay that he says things like this without any factual evidence and bibliography lawl!! :roll:
Playing in the field > basebuilding in TAK
Everything > TAK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom