Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some good RTS games dammit

Ryuken

Liturgist
No-one's asking for a bibliography lad, if you played the game then you would have known what I was talking about. Since you're still avoiding to put some weight behind your bold statement I guess you barely played it.

But sure, shout harder if you wish... :D

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
No, lad, I was hoping to just act arrogant, lad, take a page from your book, lad, and hope that will, lad, give me a win by last word, lad, which I suppose is what you are hoping for.

What would you like me to say? TAK's economy system was poorly designed. It was a step down and backwards from TA's system. It's pretty self-evident. The lack of a second resource removes both a layer of necessary compexity and a limiting factor on growth. The build times and resource cost for units and building were grossly inappropriate to the engine.

If you, lad, feel like going, "NO ITS GUD I CANT HEAR U LAWL" you can feel free, but it's a crappy system.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Does Darwinia count for an RTS?

I played Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends recently, and I found it pretty decent.

And the Dawn of War collection is already released with the expansion pack, so get the collection instead if you decide to purchase the game.

I think someone already mentioned this, but Total War series (Medieval, Rome, etc.) is also highly regarded and contains some RTS gameplay along with turn based strategical overhead interface (from what I've seen).

Gamer's Hell I think hosts a free RTS game called S.W.I.N.E. I am not so sure it is any good, but it may be worth a try.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Does Darwinia count for an RTS?
Sure. I even reviewed it for the site! Pretty kewl, huh?

I already have the Total War games (sans Shogun) and I love 'em. Speaking of DoW, my copy of the Gold Edition came in the mail today. Pretty sweet, eh?

Ryuken

Liturgist
Ah, someone has been awakened after all these posts.
kingcomrade said:
The lack of a second resource removes both a layer of necessary compexity and a limiting factor on growth. The build times and resource cost for units and building were grossly inappropriate to the engine.
You mean you can't deal with constantly pumping out units and mass-producing? That's the whole point of TAK, and even of TA for that matter. Why do you think most people have applied a 500 (or even more) unit-limit fix to both of these games? They want big fights, high resolutions and no-nonsense units and a no-nonsense resource scheme, that's what the TA(K)-engine has always given them. Add some kind of medieval 'energy' as a second resource to TAK and you'll have less fun since the game is way more straight-forward than TA; as said before in this thread, more sides but less different units/buildings which causes that you're getting a bigger focus on fights right from the start, a second resource would just be a timefiller in TAK.

Chap.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
Okay, I know I'm a total turn-based nerd but I have the sudden hankering for RTS action and I don't have my Kohan disks with me. I don't care what kind of game it is as long as it's real-time and it's strategy so serve me up some good 'uns, aight?

Although it might be too late: Star Wolves.
Don't know if you've played it. It is a space rts game like Homeworld but instead of a whole fleet you comand a little squad of mercenaries. There are some addictive niceties to the game like character development, gear management and quiet a few multiple choice missions. Only real downside I can think of is the beginning for your pilots tend to miss a lot while losing their ships more frequently. Nevertheless higly recomended.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I know of that game. I remember it got a lot of praise at RPGdot and 'round here but never checked it out. Thanks for reminding me!

Fake edit: Bummer, Amazon doesn't have it and it's 40 bucks at GoGamer. Might have to put SW on hold for a while.

Ryuken

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
Yes, it's more straightforward, chap, and it also sucks.
Your loss, I'll keep turning entire armies to stone with me Zhon basilisks then.

Other RTS-tip: Magic & Mayhem (1, thought the sequel wasn't as good), also starring a mana point one-resource system but it's a microheavy game without basebuilding, you're playing a summoner of monsters.

As for free RTS-games, someone mentioned SWINE, Ground Control 1 is free too if one didn't knew that already (although it's only on Fileplanet I think).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom