Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation Needed (Action Games)

• Thread starter DramaticPopcorn
  • Start date

DramaticPopcorn

I'm in a dire need of your insight once again, oh great Codex.

I want some mindless, challenging, action-packed game with varied ways to kill stuff, "not so linear" levels, and... ( :oops: ) pretty graphix.

It doesn't have to have a story (unless it's cheezy and lulzy like Mass Effect's) or character development.

All I want to see is a good time-killer with high variety in enemies/weapons/scenes/etc.

Thanks in advance.

There's 2 games off the top of my head:

Serious Sam 2 - Loads of enemies and weapons. Just mindless slaughter. Large variety of levels. Linear levels and almost no story. Graphics not so good now since it came out a while ago.

Painkiller - Also loads of enemies and weapons. The stake gun is quite nice since you can impale enemies on the walls. There's some tarrot cards you can use (think special abilities). Nice variety of levels as well, though linear. There is a story but it sucks donkey-cock. Graphics also not so good now since it also came out a while ago.

Fake EDIT: Otherwise, go for Bulletstorm. Haven't played it yet.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Doom. Try some ZDoom mods with new weapons if you're sick of the old ones, WildWeasel and Xaser generally do good work.

Also drop your no linearity nonsense and play some bullet hells or similarly ludicrous shooters. I recommend Battle Bakraid, it has a variety of ships to choose from. Lots of people swear by Garegga as well but I'm not so fond of it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
talking sausage said:
Serious Sam 2 - Loads of enemies and weapons. Just mindless slaughter. Large variety of levels. Linear levels and almost no story. Graphics not so good now since it came out a while ago.
Attrocious console piece of shit. Enemies barely move, you barely move, everything's slowed down.

You seriously recommend this over original Serious Sam?

OP should play it if he haven't.

Painkiller - Also loads of enemies and weapons. The stake gun is quite nice since you can impale enemies on the walls. There's some tarrot cards you can use (think special abilities). Nice variety of levels as well, though linear. There is a story but it sucks donkey-cock. Graphics also not so good now since it also came out a while ago.
The guy said not-so-linear and you recommend him this "oh let's lock the player in 10m x 10m arena and force him to kill constantly respawning enemies and until he's done with them he will not move anywhere" shit?

Fake EDIT: Otherwise, go for Bulletstorm. Haven't played it yet.
Actually compared to Bulletstorm Painkiller is a work of gameplay art.
Bulletstorm is a FMV rail shooter from early 90s

I second Doom 1 & 2 (basically Ultimate Doom) and also Quake 1 & 2 but I will be really surprised if OP haven't played them

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah yes both Max Paynes. The first one is better though, but the second one was still good too.

And I second Dark Messiah. One of the last non-decline action games.

Quilty

Magister
Just Cause 2 kinda fits the bill. It's not too challenging, though, not unless you've got several helicopters blasting away at you, but those moments especially urge you to be creative and find a way out of the situation. It's no work of art, but it's got action and it's pretty.

DraQ

Arcane
DramaticPopcorn said:
I'm in a dire need of your insight once again, oh great Codex.

I want some mindless, challenging, action-packed game with varied ways to kill stuff, "not so linear" levels, and... ( :oops: ) pretty graphix.

It doesn't have to have a story (unless it's cheezy and lulzy like Mass Effect's) or character development.

All I want to see is a good time-killer with high variety in enemies/weapons/scenes/etc.

Thanks in advance.
How action, what genres and what have you played already?

Telling us what did you like and what you did not would also be rather helpful.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's actiony with a bunch of sneaking bits. Very good fun. The "stealth" parts where you have to take out a room of armed guards without the others spotting you is great fun. Although somewhat easy until the later parts where gargoyles aren't abundant. I played it on colsole, so I dunno how the controls translated over to PC.

Suchy

Arcane
Forgot about Blade of Darkness...
Best fucking melee combat ever, even beats Dark Messiah and Mount & Blade.
Remember to play in first person. As for the game itself, it's very similar to Dark Messiah in style, just better combat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ulminati said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's actiony with a bunch of sneaking bits. Very good fun. The "stealth" parts where you have to take out a room of armed guards without the others spotting you is great fun. Although somewhat easy until the later parts where gargoyles aren't abundant. I played it on colsole, so I dunno how the controls translated over to PC.

I played it on PC, and it nothing short of rocks.

Play Arkham Asylum OP. There's loads of story, but all of it is very cheesy. Honestly, "linear progression with non-linear levels" sounds like AA in a nutshell. It seems pretty much perfect for what you're asking.

DO NOT PLAY PROTOTYPE IT IS TEH SUCK

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hmm.. You know this maybe a long shot away from what you want but have you tried Alien Shooter series?

Not FP but mindless and very very meaty

Also what about Tribes: Vengeance? It has a cheesy story yeah, but only between levels which are big

Black Cat

Magister
@ OP

Zeno Clash kind of fits the bill. It also includes the best melee combat in any FPS, a (weird) story, and a pretty dreamlike setting. I found it kind of difficult myself, though I'm not much of an first person shooter person myself, and even less of a first person melee one, so your mileage may vary. In any case it is for both PC, in its original edition, and for Xbox, in a kind of ultimate edition that has some extra stuff added. Watch the trailer on YouTube, since we are at it.

Since you did not specify a genre I'll recommend Hellsinker too. It's, more or less, the king of bullet hell shooters, or at least one of those. It's surreal, frantic, very hard, and even includes a fair bit of non linearity, though not on a TWAIN level or anything like that, given you can face different bosses and patterns based on how you play and a bunch of different and pretty obscure variables. Also, you have four different characters and their differences go far beyond a different shooting pattern, as each has many different weapons and attacks that deeply change the experience and gameplay. It also has some very awesome music. Watch this Shrine of Farewell video or this Stage 6 video to see whether it is your thing or not. The audio on the second video is kind of crappy, though, so the OST on the Apostles of the Seed battle sounds much worse than it really is.

Those two aside give Devil May Cry 3 a chance, too, as what you are asking for is, more or less, it. It is fun, mindless, over the top, so very cool, and so totally awesome you will enjoy yourself even if you don't want to. It also can get pretty hardcore depending on what difficulty level you pick for it. If you enjoy it, but only if you enjoy it, give DMC 4 a try, too, given 3 is the better game, and 4 is basically a good for what it is game that can go up to be pretty enjoyable if you like the DMC style but will never be as awesome as 3. Also, if you like DMC 3 give Bayonetta a try.

desocupado

Magister
I second devil may cry.

The story is stupid, the characters are retarded, but it's fun as hell, and it's hard as fuck. Just don't be popamole by buying healing items.

Both 3 and 4 are available on PC, and will run on your specifications.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom