Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Regarding NWN2, Mr Sawyer says....

Ladonna

Arcane
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php ... 3178&st=30

"If you want to play NWN2, you'll need a 2.4 ghz processor with 512 megs of RAM and a video card that supports shader model 2.0. If you want it to run reasonably well, you should probably have a 3.0+ ghz processor with 1 gig + of RAM and a 7800GT card or better.

If you're below those specs, you're going to have to belly up or skip the game. It winds up being a lot of money. To run NWN2 on my home machine, I had to make about $800 in upgrades. I think PCs have much worse upgrading problems than consoles and, in general, I find using consoles a lot more straightforward. I put in the game, turn on the console and TV, and I can get started."

Hmm. He loves his consoles doesn't he?

Perhaps he doesn't realise that devs like Obsidian are the reason he had to upgrade his home computer? After all, without Shader 2.0 and whatever other fluff they put in, how can you be expected to enjoy an RPG?

Where would the immersion be?

Balor

Arcane
Well, it sounds like "And if you don't have good PC, then your are a console looser who will not know USB from CPU, so don't touch my game with your filthy fingers!" :D

Texas Red

Whiner
Atari wouldnt let Obsidian do a NWN version 1.5. They would get another company. And I believe Obsidian is the best for the job.

And besides, the graphics arent top of the tech and they never advertised them like other companies do.

So that shader 2.0 and "whatever other fluff" was the only way.

WTF? 7800 GT and 3.0+ GHz CPU for that graphics? Even now it looks pretty much outdated and mediocre, and the only reason for such powerful hardware may be total lack of optimization and polish. After all, KOTOR2 managed to stutter from time to time even on high-end PCs.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
I am kind of annoyed the specs are so high. I refuse to play games with bad performance, and it's annoying that even shitty games are demanding such requirements.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And besides, the graphics arent top of the tech and they never advertised them like other companies do."

False. Obsidian has been pimping the graphics since the announcement of NWN2.

Anyways, the specs are fine. If too much for you don't buy the game.

Logic. Use. it. It. is. your. friend.

Rina

Scholar
I think I read somewhere that only large battles (ie siege of your stronghold) will be resource hogs and rest of the game will run better. Or maybe I was hallucinating... :?

Balor

Arcane
Well, I have (well, now) PC that is ABOVE recommeded settings (Try working. It helps you to get this strange substance called 'money').
However, I think that the "3.0+ ghz processor with 1 gig + of RAM and a 7800GT card or better." is a rig on which you can run game with everything maxed with no slowdows, and I think it's pretty realistic.
And for shaders - jeez, you can buy a videocard that costs 50$ and has support for 2.0 shaders... it will suck, of course, but still.

Volourn said:
If too much for you don't buy the game.

It's not. I've upgraded a week ago, so this is not the problem. The problem is that developers these days rely too much on "fuck optimization, let's just crank up system requirements and save us time and money" philosophy.

Inziladun

Magister
Shader 2.0 is ANCIENT. Those recomended specs are low considering other games that have come out recently. But I suppose you guys want every RPG to run on machines you put together in 98, my bad.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Given that this game appears to have the same story depth as every single 90s Jrpg, it ought to run perfectly on a SNES emulator:

NWN2 FAQ said:
The storyline of Neverwinter Nights 2 starts simply enough in the middle of the Mere of Dead Men - in your home town, the humble village of West Harbor. Only the brave and strong manage to eke out a living in such a dangerous monster-ridden swamp and Harbormen are tougher than standard folk, maintaining a certain pride in their adversity. But one night trouble comes knocking, and it's looking for a long-buried relic, a remnant of a dark war fought when you were but a child. Not long after, you are sent on a desperate mission to Neverwinter to unearth the secrets of the relic, all the while being hounded by opposition. From there a chain of events force you into the role of a hero, giving you the strength, the power, and the knowledge you need to strike back against the forces gathering against you, and the people of the Realms.
and you have a piece of magic sword up your ass.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL I agree the story isn't that impressive as written. It'll dpeend how the npcs, and questsa re implemented. Besdies, the game's depth likely won't come from the story but the role-playing, character system, and everything else.

But, yeah, sword up your ass = lameity lame lame.

Ladonna
Don't get me wrong, visuals are OK (as in "not bad, but nothing special"). Still, i've seen games with better GFX and lower system requirements. This one is not...how to say...flashy enough for it's hardware tastes ;) Don't know, maybe it's art direction's fault.

Texas Red

Whiner
RadioGnome Invisible said:
Ladonna
Don't get me wrong, visuals are OK (as in "not bad, but nothing special"). Still, i've seen games with better GFX and lower system requirements. This one is not...how to say...flashy enough for it's hardware tastes ;) Don't know, maybe it's art direction's fault.

Have you seen the videos of sieges? That must be the reason.

Ladonna

Arcane
Who will be the sacrificial plucked duck here and try it out on the first day? :wink:

Data4

Arcane
If it comes out before Gothic 3, I might take the plunge too. I've been pretty indifferent about NWN2 to my own surprise. I'm like... well, everyone else in the known universe as far as my opinion of the OC of NWN, but the expansions weren't half bad. My anticipation was cooled fairly early on when Feargus said in an old Gamespot interview video that the core of the game wouldn't change. I interpreted that, perhaps falsely, as "We're going to have the same suck-ass kind of singleplayer game as the first, but with bling!"

We shall see.

-D4

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I saw the recommended specs on Amazon and was blown away by how high they were as well. I'm not sure what all the game is doing in the background that would require that much processing power. There wasn't too much of a reason NWN1 needed as much as it did either since the majority of it seemed to just have a few monsters attacking you at a time, and most of them just sat in one place until you ran across them.

Voss

Erudite
Once they started talking sieges, this didn't surprise me. Its still going to drag out its ass, even on a high end system. The engine they've got just isn't set up for truly mass shit.

Data4- Given the previews of what's laughingly being called a 'plot' and 'story', I don't think your interpretation is false.

denizsi

Arcane
What are the minimum and required system specs. for The Witcher? It's using the same engine, right? Was there any info given on the scope of battles for The Witcher, ie anything similar to sieges or large scale combats?

edit: corrected a typo

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mr Sawyer said:
If you want to play NWN2, you'll need a 2.4 ghz processor with 512 megs of RAM and a video card that...
See? It's optional, so we're okay then. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom