Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Regions of Ruin - sidescrolling town-building dwarf RPG

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
http://www.regionsofruin.com

https://af.gog.com/game/regions_of_ruin?as=1649904300

Why the fuck is this not on the codex?!?!

The game just came out and i decided to try it in hopes of wasting some. Turned out to pretty good base building rpg with side scrolling combat. The game is about dwarfs killing garbage like goblins. Neanderthal this game is made for you mate,the easiest difficulty is even called elf :).

The fuck it is sold for 1 fucking dollar?!?!?!

ss_619fa837cc03a696c0ff27269d5b2aa2925edb9d.1920x1080.jpg

Description
Ever wonder what would happen if Kingdom met a broad, skill based open world RPG? Welcome to Regions of Ruin.

Regions of Ruin is a 2D side-scrolling RPG with town-building where you are introduced to an open world that progressively challenges your hero and settlement the further you delve into the vast continent.

You will discover a foreboding land ravaged by hundreds of years of hardship. Where, kingdoms have risen and fallen, settlements have been laid to waste and overrun by warring groups, and great mysteries lay hidden and waiting to be unearthed - assuming you can defeat their jealous guardians.

Main Features include:

• Styled combat system with stats and levelling
• Skill tree to focus your fighting style
• Extensive loot and rare items to discover
• Forge your own equipment or smelt it for resources
• Open world exploration with a hand crafted environment, no randomized maps or levels, everything you see has been made with care
• Customised town building and expansion
• Rescue and recruit dwarves for your township (save them from extinction!)
• Send workers to harvest resources from explored regions
• Hire Mercenaries to help in battle
• Multitude of Quests and a main storyline

Regions of Ruin: Sieges

The Regions of Ruin: Sieges DLC is included with the base game and contains the following content:
- 7 New siege event areas
- 2 New mercenary types for hire
- New building (Training Ground)
- Loads'o'loot
- Greatly upgrade companions
- Repeatedly challenge yourself with sieges to earn unending loot and rewards
- Hire new companions to help in the fray and from afar

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played through this a while ago, around last Christmas or so when I got it in the sale. Decent game yes, explored every single location and unlocked every single achievement in 18 hours of playtime.

It's somewhat of a metroidvania with basebuilding, you explore locations and gather resources and build up your base. Kill orcs, find useful stuff in dungeons, etc. Fun game that's definitely worth its low price. Sidescrolling dungeon crawler with resource management and base building.

Bara

Arcane
Game is currently free to keep forever so long as you pick it up by April 6th on steam.

Dosen't show on the embedded but when you load the steam page its discounted to 0.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Someone who's played it, how does it compare to say, Terraria? (That's sure what it looks like, with a few more RPG UI elements.)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Will never played a game with "graphics" like that.

Amiga in 1986 was doing better.

Someone who's played it, how does it compare to say, Terraria? (That's sure what it looks like, with a few more RPG UI elements.)
It doesn't play like Terraria at all. There is some resource gathering, which you can do yourself at first (from trees/ore nodes/loot), but you can get other dwarves to do it for you as you free them from captivity (from map locations you have visited and liberated), and the base building aspect isn't customized like in Terraria, but more like Kingdom's (where you pay the required amount of resources and the building pops up).

There is no base defense and the game is largely a side-scrolling action adventure platformer with some puzzles, and RPG elements. It's actually quite decent and worth a buy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
umm, that's a shitty arcade port that doesn't take advantage of Amiga's custom chipset. I'd post screencaps of Defender of the Crown (1986), and numberous others, but you're a waste of time.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
am i the only one playing it even though it was free?

Looks like it. I picked it up (there is/was a free DLC too), but haven't gone round to trying it out. Saw some people saying it was basically a dwarf-themed Kingdom which didn't help motivation as despite being a lover of the bearded diminutive mining devices I also grew super bored of Kingdom super quick (despite loving the art style). Your review means I'll definitely give it a go at some point, cheers.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
am i the only one playing it even though it was free?

anyway dropping some throwing info i found scattered over internet or play tested myself. Maybe someone will find it useful one day:

- base throwing dmg is calculated from your level alone.
- crit chance&dmg from your weapon applies. As such you want short sword. Dexterity improves crits to extend that no flat bonus to those comes close. Dexterity is your friend.
- multi axe throw skill dont 'shootgun' - cant hit same enemy more than once. Dont take it. WHile spread is nice to sneak hit enemies from afar, lower throw rate is a big deal
- Take axe mastery line, you will crit always and be able to spam throw in melee in some situations
- throw axe push is big. Pushed enemy can be hit with same axe 2-3 times! Tanky enemies tend to be immune to push. Also improves your survival as its harder to reach you in melee.
- bleed doesnt just double your dmg output... It appears that dmg calculations are done before armor reductions are applied. You should rush for it especially early game on highest diff.

random bit: get dashing enchantment on weapon. It makes you auto dash while attacking. It opens funny playstyle for melee but also allows dashing while sneaking.

I'm playing it from time to time, just level 9 atm.
Throwing and bleeding seem to be the safest way to win most of the battles.
Thanks for sharing your findings! But I believe that 8 points in throwing (not 11 as you mentioned earlier) would be enough to perfect it.
Something like this, without the crossed out skills:

hKE1X79.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom