Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

REMOVE TROIKA FANS REMOVE TROIKA FANS THEY'RE WORSE THAN GREEKS

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This place allows Bethesda and CDPR fanboys to run around, and you want to go after Troika fans?

Axie

Scholar
This place allows Bethesda and CDPR fanboys to run around, and you want to go after Troika fans?
This place has a thread with those talking/commenting anime “girls” so I guess anything goes now...
:despair:

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I can see that many of these plebs anuses got drilled in the Black Mountain Mines

Here, have some flashbacks

*shrieking*

iGqACR.gif

Mauman

Learned
I can see that many of these plebs anuses got drilled in the Black Mountain Mines

Here, have some flashbacks

*shrieking*

iGqACR.gif

I actually really like this song.

Hell, Arcanum's soundtrack in general is a fave of mine.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The game is a fucking masterpiece. ToEE too. Bloodlines isn't peak Renaissance perhaps, but it's still solid. This was like a company which managed to satisfy both combat fags (through ToEE) and story fags (through Arcanum). KotC 2 might be neck and neck with ToEE, but Arcanum still hasn't been surpassed like Jarlo says.

Shaki

Arbiter
Arcanum is the best storyfag game ever made.
ToEE is in top 5 of the best combatfag games ever made.
Troika is the best RPG developer that ever existed, no contest.
OP is retarded.

Sloul

Savant
harm. harm. harm. harm.
backtrack, exit, rest.
harm. harm. harm. harm.
backtrack longer, exit, rest.
harm. harm. harm. harm, harm.
backtrack even longer, exit, rest.
harm. harm. harm. harm, harm.
Arcanum combat system is bad, but if you're using harm, you can use the magic staves, they've got some mana on them, and you can switch those staves to get infinity fatigue. Well, you might need a couple of them, but, still.

Ryzer

Arcane
The game is a fucking masterpiece.
The game is still largely unfinished, even with mods, the combat is bad whether magic or tech. Tech especially is very annoying as guns consume insane amount of ammunition, so you need insane amount of money or craft many components to never run out of ammo.
And then there is the overflooding of magic items compared to tech items.

One thing nobody praises about Arcanum is how alive the world is: people go to sleep lock the doors and chest, wake up open the doors, react accordingly to action made by PC.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The game is a fucking masterpiece.
The game is still largely unfinished, even with mods, the combat is bad whether magic or tech. Tech especially is very annoying as guns consume insane amount of ammunition, so you need insane amount of money or craft many components to never run out of ammo.
And then there is the overflooding of magic items compared to tech items.

One thing nobody praises about Arcanum is how alive the world is: people go to sleep lock the doors and chest, wake up open the doors, react accordingly to action made by PC.
This.

It's a good, fun to play game but it is only half of a masterpiece. The other half - what you said. Terrible combat mechanics, enemy and encounter design. Bugs even today. Useless or even not working stuff (spells, items...) - and not by design. Very unbalanced but not in the fun way of some other badly unbalanced games. Also another game where the main type of the (too few) challenges are of the annoying kind. C&Cs are fake or unimportant but that's the standard so it's not really a minus. There is probably some more.
I still like it quite a lot, which astonishes me. I suppose it's the setting and atmosphere - truly greatly done. Music is very good. City of Tarant is one of the best cities in crpg, very fun to explore. Sad that the game doesn't keep this level of exploration fun during the whole game. Many quests are very well done.
As i said already: It is half of a masterpiece. Arcanum + good combat + testing and polish + main map not being empty (optional) => masterpiece (maybe).

Shaki

Arbiter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom