Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rep +

Chefe

Erudite
We should have a reputation system where you can give positive or negative rep to people. It will encourage good posts as people want to become an established, well respected and well repped member of the community. Meanwhile, negative rep can be given out to negative posts.

dunduks

Liturgist
I don't think it would work - most of people here would have negative rep, it's the Codex after all.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The rep system works pretty good on some boards as it encourages people to act more normal and not some anonymous jackass.

However, on this board i think people would take it as a badge of honor to have a horrible rep.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yes, I do doubt many would take a reputation system seriously around here. Most would probably just click because it's funny to click. Buttons are funny.

Rep systems works well at forums where the users are encouraged to upload stuff. Torrents of big tits hentai movies and crap like that. A grade A yerk-off hentai movie earns a rep point and so they get some more bandwidth to play with for their next upload.

Here at the Codex we would have to deal with 50+ photoshopped copies of goatcx or a load of Oblivion comics. I guess Chefe wants some payment for his work? :wink:

Edit: Btw, what exactly is so encouraging about reputation points on forums? I've never really understood it. What does it do exactly. Do some people really have to feel good in any kind of way possible? Even if it's just because they have a +3 rep on a forum?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Reputation system is a very good idea, even on such a unque forum as ours is. It's a lot of fun, really. I've seen it at work at some forums and it really was nifty. The thing is, you gotta have to be able to post comments to every + or - you put

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Locue said:
Edit: Btw, what exactly is so encouraging about reputation points on forums? I've never really understood it. What does it do exactly. Do some people really have to feel good in any kind of way possible? Even if it's just because they have a +3 rep on a forum?

I'm sure there's some kind of legit psychological reason for it. It gives some sense of accomplishment. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but the boards i've messed around on in the past with the rep system seem to be nicer, more helpful.

Fresh

Erudite
Another possibility is removing the post count as to avoid posting motivated by upping the forum-'status'.Works well in a forum I used to frequent.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
This board is pretty good with the post whoring. Outside of nonsensical O RLY pics, you don't get too many short pointless posts.

Tintin

Arbiter
I support this idea. I'd like to see how quickly my rep would hit rock bottom.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
FrancoTAU said:
Locue said:

I'm sure there's some kind of legit psychological reason for it. It gives some sense of accomplishment. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but the boards i've messed around on in the past with the rep system seem to be nicer, more helpful.
Like a reward of some sort. But it's still not much of a reward. I mean, a reward is like getting a free beer. Some reputation points on a forum doesn't seem that encouraging to me, but maybe I'm just being grumpy here. :)

FrancoTAU

Cipher
That reminds of the weird shit Gamespot does now where you get experience points for participating on their site and go up levels. The levels don't give you anything as far as i can tell. WTF?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm pretty sure my hentai thread would give me at least 4 level ups.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Not only that, mate. You would even get your own custom avatar!!!

That's what you need to pull this rep points thing on: unlockable stuff!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Rep system would be totally gay. It would be like Slashdot, which is most definitely not cool.

I like the forum the way it is (And it's gonna be gettin' a hell lot better soon :cool: )

Spazmo

Erudite
Where the hell did you people get the idea that we do anything? Anyways, if you're not on staff, your reputation can be assumed to be "turd". If you're on staff, you're a "rockstar ninja". The only way to change your rank is to either send me money or stalk Volourn.

Chefe

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Where the hell did you people get the idea that we do anything? Anyways, if you're not on staff, your reputation can be assumed to be "turd". If you're on staff, you're a "rockstar ninja". The only way to change your rank is to either send me money or stalk Volourn.

Repped +1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom