Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Research report: oldies play single-player, younger multi-player

ghardy

Educated
Massive generational gap: Gen Z flocks to multiplayer, while 55+ sticks to single-player

[Emphasis added]

2024-10-05-image-10-j_1100.webp

Editor's take: Publishers and developers will need to keep a close eye on these generational preferences. The younger set is gravitating toward live-service PVP games, but today's overall gaming landscape still leaves ample breathing room for richly crafted single-player adventures to resonate. This window could start closing, though, if upcoming generations continue embracing multiplayer experiences en masse.
74% of gamers say they prefer playing single-player games without any online components
New research shows a massive generational divide in game genre preferences. A study by MIDiA Research surveyed 9,000 gamers across several countries including the US, UK, Germany, and South Korea. It found that online player-vs-player games are more popular than single-player ones among audiences aged 16-24. Only 30% of this bracket wants to play alone, while a whopping 68% of them would rather play online or couch co-op.

However, for the oldest age group (over the age of 55), a whopping 74% of gamers say they prefer playing single-player games without any online components. If you look at the graph below, you'll notice a gradual but stark trend as you move from the youngest to the oldest audience.

2024-10-05-image-p_1100.webp

The researchers suggest a few factors behind the popularity of PvP among the younger crowd. Younger players may be drawn to the social engagement and competitive thrills of PVP games they can experience with friends. Convincing this bunch to ditch their online hangouts for a new single-player adventure is an uphill battle. Older gamers, meanwhile, seem to prefer the solitary focus and narrative storytelling of solo experiences.

Interestingly, the data also shows couch co-op waning with the 35+ crowd – the very players who likely grew up with iconic split-screen multiplayer games. Perhaps online play has supplanted the need to crowd around the TV these days.

Despite these trends, it's worth mentioning that the official headline for the report is "Most gamers prefer single-player games." That's because single-player continues to reign supreme for most respondents overall at 53%. The research notes that despite hits like Fortnite, League of Legends, and Roblox, the PvP market is becoming over-saturated, leaving more breathing room for single-player experiences.

To keep this popularity up, the analysts advise smarter single-player release windows. For instance, launching these games during quieter periods in the online title release calendar could allow them to shine when players are looking for a change of pace.

Cerulean

Arcane
I don't know about y'all, but the one and only reason I stick to single-player games? I play games to relax. At the end of a long work day, I don't need some random 15-year-old telling me to go fuck my mother.

Fargus

Arcane
I used to play a lot of multiplayer shit, but with time it all started to feel the same. Now i can't even look at these games. Even when they add optional coop mode to a singleplayer game it annoys me greatly.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Why the tacked-on multiplayer should have stayed. That pointless MGS3 remake should come with the return of Metal Gear Online, including the old PS2 maps.

jam

Literate
Online multiplayer is a second job and I only enjoyed it as a myopic teenager. Maybe it's a negligible portion, but I would've liked to see local competitive multiplayer included. It's the least committal form of multiplayer and the only form in which I still participate.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Makes sense. Kids nowdays can feed on online games from birth. The market offers more of such games than ever before.

tommy heavenly6

Learned
The only acceptable way to play multiplayer is locally with people you share a bond with in the same room. Never understood the appeal of playing online against tryhard randoms.

Gandalf

Arbiter
The only acceptable way to play multiplayer is locally with people you share a bond with in the same room.
Back in the day this multiplayer online stuff was all new and exciting. It felt like the next evolution step in gaming. One could play anytime with anywho, no real life friends requierd.

Never understood the appeal of playing online against tryhard randoms.
There could be a lot of reasons to do so, I think.

Inec0rn

Novice
I used to play a lot of multiplayer shit, but with time it all started to feel the same. Now i can't even look at these games. Even when they add optional coop mode to a singleplayer game it annoys me greatly.

Pretty much same, If I'm going to play a video game to unwind - I couldn't think of anything worse than a retard with a microphone telling me to do something in it.

Max Damage

Savant
I don't remember last multiplayer game I played that had public voice chat, it feels like nowadays no one uses one even in games that do have one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom