Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Ivan

Arcane
on sale for $9, worth it?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes 100 %

It gets alot of negativity and rage because RE3 had cut content and was short, and nemesis was sort of dumbed down too.

What we got in the game tho, was quite fucking enjoyable and great in par with RE2remake

Ash

Arcane
No. Why not play the original RE3 if you haven't already? Like the other fixed cam REs (1 & 2), not the best thing ever, but definitely worth playing and what I'd call a "lesser classic".

Ash

Arcane
Definitely. They are absolutely perfect games for what they are. I'm just saying I consider them classics, but not classics in the same way, say, Doom or Deus Ex are, of which we can return to an infinite amount of times and still have a great time (though mods help GREATLY of course).

Fixed cam is partly why I feel this way. It results in:

+Art. graphics and overall style/presentation
+Tension & Horror

-Combat (e.g crappy aiming)
-Controls (which results in the +Tension)

But they absolutely should not have been made any other way. They're significantly better than 99% of games released today, including the RE games of the past decade.

As a gameplayfag, the combat is a bummer for me, though the games do offer good exploration/puzzle/inventory & resource management so they are still good games in my book, and if you make the combat too good that sort of conflicts with the horror as you're supposed to be scared. Fun + horror = conflict of interest, so there must be a balance, which pretty much every good survival horror manages in my book, from Darkwood to System shock 2 to Resident Evil. Just resident Evil less so. RE3 was actually the best of the fixed cam REs in regards to combat with the inclusion of the contextual dodging, quick turn, environmental interactions and certain other things. the combat was kinda fun while still maintaining the horror just fine.

Like the other fixed cam REs (1 & 2), not the best thing ever
But fixed cam is the best for the very genre RE was going for.

Wait, reading this again...if that genre is cinematic survival horror? Sure. Darkwood or System Shock 2 would like a word if removing the "cinematic" part, though.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
I have no idea what you mean by cinematic here. I take that as "watching more than playing" and that makes no sense for old RE games. I'd take RE1~3 over SS2 every single day, anyway. Never was a fan of that game, always liked 1 more.
Also, Darkwood seems interesting, may give it a try.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Yes. As a remake it leaves a lot of things out of the ecuation, and as a standalone game it has a bunch of problems. But still a decent action horror game by it's own

You can still play the original on Dolphin (Gamecube version).

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not worth it at any price because it's not worth playing, it's shit.
Don't listen to this fag^. RE3make is absolutely worth playing. Is it disappointing? Yes. Is it still better than 99% of modern day shooters? YES!

Ya gotta watch out for posters in this part of the codex. MFers are sketchy and ain't got opinions worth a fuck.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished it on Pro (Hard) and now on my 2nd playthrough on "Nightmare."

Obviously, RE3R is at its best when it sets you loose in its more open environments, unfortunately the game only has 2: the opening city chapter and the hospital. The game puts its best foot forward and at least on the difficulty I played, I was definitely conscientious on when I did and didn't use ammo. This isn't as "action" oriented as I remember the original being, but boy is it sure a lot more hollywood. There are Michael Bayish cutscenes with EXPLOSIONS and EPIC DODGES, and several retarded gamey moments that try to add drama to the story.

What works: resource management, as the Hunters are quite tanky, as are the paleheads.

What sucks: the linear bits, SUPER short (made more noticeable on the 2nd playthrough where you'll be skipping the cutscenes).

Pros of Nightmare: altered enemy placement (basically you'll see more high-tier enemies in greater numbers and a bit sooner than in regular 3 difficulties. Ammo is more scarce, particularly in the Carlos chapter. This actually made the Hospital section feel very different to me this time around. I had to completely bypass certain enemies with a flashbang b/c I simply didn't have any ammo on me at times.

So yeah, while super short, I'm actually more encouraged to replay the campaign b/c of it. I'll definitely be finishing Nightmare mode and I'll be giving Inferno a stab as well to see if the enemy placement is even more different than on Nightmare.

:3/5: - a mixed bag, but by no means garbage. there's some solid level design and resource management (on higher difficulties only I'd imagine)

Wunderbar

Arcane
Pros of Nightmare: altered enemy placement (basically you'll see more high-tier enemies in greater numbers and a bit sooner than in regular 3 difficulties.
i found the best thing about unlockable difficulties is that the game gives you Magnum earlier. This single thing drastically change the resource management because now you have to make a decision on how to spend high-grade gunpowder.

I'll definitely be finishing Nightmare mode and I'll be givig Inferno a stab as well to see if the enemy placement is even more different than on Nightmare.
inferno is garbage, not worth playing unless you want a trophy/achievement. It has the same enemy placements as Nightmare, it's just the enemies deal more damage. The damage part is basically insignificant since by that point you're already good at the game and will be avoiding most of the hits, except for the final bossfight against mutated Nemesis. Fucker kills you in two hits (actually one, because the first hit will stunlock you), and you are forced to perform the perfect dodge like eight times in a row.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I don't think anything can be as bad as Resident Evil Revelations's Infernal difficulty. You start out with like 10 bullets and the first hallway has like 20 enemies (each of which take dozens of shots to kill and only rarely drop ammo), so you have to use that game's even shittier dodge mechanic, which is like the dodge mechanic from the original RE3. You have to go through 2 rooms stuffed shoulder to shoulder with enemies before you even get to the cutscene where the enemy is first introduced, lol.

Ivan

Arcane
inferno is garbage, not worth playing unless you want a trophy/achievement. It has the same enemy placements as Nightmare, it's just the enemies deal more damage. The damage part is basically insignificant since by that point you're already good at the game and will be avoiding most of the hits, except for the final bossfight against mutated Nemesis. Fucker kills you in two hits (actually one, because the first hit will stunlock you), and you are forced to perform the perfect dodge like eight times in a row.

reached Nemesis finale on Nightmare and yep it's fucking retarded. Pro was the best experience, while the leadup on Nightmare was fun as well, with increased ammo scarcity. the boss fight is fucking retarded though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom