Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Resonance of Fate 4K/HD - Out now on PC

Jinn

Arcane
Wiplashing hard from hold your hand tutorials in games to reading the manual is normally something I support.

Not so much when the manual is gamefaqs and the story is presented in the wow I better read the wiki Dark Souls fashion.

So if I'm understanding correctly you're having trouble figuring out how to play the game and the story is confusing for you?

There is a complete combat tutorial in the arena right next to the first town. As for the narrative, I honestly don't understand what people are finding so confusing about the story, except that no exposition is dumped on you from the beginning on. What are you having trouble getting about it?

Duraframe300

Arcane
The end battle animations creep me out. The graphics are realistic enough that seeing the tiny Leanne wave around a 3 pound loaded pistol, let alone a 6 pound loaded SMG, like it's not there is just wrong. Not to mention breaking every rule of gun safety.
I would have more concerns regarding physics about the fucking jumping in combination with the shooting but sure.

(Don’t they even do air jumps? I’m not sure anymore)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
does the texture pack make any noticeable difference if you're on 1080p display?

Jinn

Arcane
does the texture pack make any noticeable difference if you're on 1080p display?

Yes, but it's pretty negligible in the long run. I notice that the 4k textures make for a much more muted tone, casting a pale ghostliness on everything, which I actually like. Right now the only way to play the game without audio and occasional FPS stuttering is without the 4k textures enabled unfortunately. So if you're looking to play soon, and you don't mind it looking a little different, I'd say go for it without the textures until it's fixed.

Jinn

Arcane
damnit i just spent 2 hours installing the texture update...

It's all good. I expect the 4k issue to be fixed before too long, so you could just disable it until that happens. Also, it'll give you a chance to see which setting you prefer anyway. Maybe the stuttering issue won't happen for you too.

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ran into the stuttering right off the bat with the introductory FMV!

Did a quick google and apparently it was page file usage, so I moved my page file over to my SSD (game is on a mechanical HDD) and also increased it to 2x my RAM (making it a 16gb pagefile).

That fixed the stuttering during FMVs with "high" textures enabled. Don't know how the actual game will fare as the FMV itself is still playing out while I type this lol.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok, moving around in the prologue causes some very slight frame drops when the camera is turning. I say frame drop instead of stutter though I know most people would categorize it as a "stutter" instead of a frame drop.

gonna try raising the page file to 4x ram size, up to 32gb.

BTW, I did find it humorous how an old man assaults you with directions on where to go as soon as the game starts, even though it's literally a linear path.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
game "stutters"/frame drops on Low Textures as well, happens every time the camera moves by itself as you walk around.

Jinn

Arcane
Bummer, man. I noticed it still did it a little on low textures, but not much at all.

Poor Tri-Ace. These Japanese just can't into PC releases. Hopefully they get it fixed soon. I can handle the slight FPS stutter, but I'm not going to deal with the crackling and stuttering of the beautiful soundtrack.

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I just turned the music down. No more stuttering.
I was standing behind a barricade and an antagonist was throwing a hand granade at me. It bounced back at the barricade and rolled down the ramp back to his feet. Boom. Haha. When I try the tri attack with the characters standing too close they bump into each other like the Stooges. Great game tbh.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Got the game working 100% with zero stuttering of any sort, here is what I did:

- NVIDIA Shader Cache: OFF/Disabled (was turned ON previously, by default)
- NVIDIA "Thread Optimization": OFF/Disabled (was turned ON previously, by default)
- NVIDIA FramesToRenderAhead: Set to value of "1" (was "3" previously, default value)
- Limited the game's frame rate to "30fps" using the NVIDIA FPS Limiter available by using Profile Inspector
- UNINSTALLED the "4k/HD texture pack" (had to re-install the game and leave out the Pack)

Something there worked, probably turning off the shader chache + thread optimization as those two things are what are most commonly cited as causes of "stuttering".

FramesToRenderAhead changed to "1" probably helped as well.

Anyway, hope this helps. Truth be told it was almost definitely simply NOT installing the 4k/HD texture pack that fixed the stuttering and the other changes I did were just placebo, but whatever. Game's working now.

Game graphics look like shit honestly, whether SD or HD doesn't matter. Lots of shimmering and jagged edges.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man, what a weird game.

it took me a bit to begin to grasp the combat system but it's actually kind of fun! lots of variables you have to keep track of during combat.

also the weapon customization looks to be quite well done, though admittedly i have only gotten the Dot Sight part yet since I'm in the very beginning.

really bad beginning what with the incomprehensible combat mechanics and the the ugly graphics and color palette but the music is fantastic and fighting mooks is kind of addictive (for now). i don't really like charging attacks though, I wish it was just a menu decision instead.

(not to mention having to troubleshoot the fuck out of the PC version for it to not stutter).

I still don't quite understand the whole energy hex system though it's clearly the game's way of limiting your access to map areas. The game seems to follow the age-old JRPG tradition of being saddled with a bunch of unnecessarily obtuse and laborious mechanics the devs "innovated" from their obvious inspirations of similar mechanics in older (western) games.

the only mechanic I see right now as a clear 10/10 winner is the customization/weight balancing act when modifying weapons. every other mechanic/system aside from that seems like something they liked in some other game and decided to make it ten times more obtuse for no real gain.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
does jumping during hero-running serve any purpose other than giving you the ability to (randomly) be able to target an enemies' body parts a la carte?

I mean, if the jumping itself was useful for jumping OVER enemies/allies/field obstructions then it would be 10/10 mechanic, a good addition, but I believe there is no collision system in place during combat therefore the ONLY point of hero-jumping is to give the player a roulette-chance at hitting different body parts regardless of positioning.

see what I mean about taking something and making it unnecessarily laborious for no real gain? there is also no real reason to have dumped hero-jumping under the hero-running sub-menu either, except because japs gonna jap.

anyway i have less than 5 hours clocked so i'll refrain from passing (too much) judgement for now. At least the game itself is running fine now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i assume later on weapons will gain ability to switch between scratch and direct damage?

having it be completely seperated between weapon types is dumb.

EDIT: Thanks for that info about hero-jumping! Glad to know, makes me want to keep playing even more.

BTW, question: just to be 100% clear on this... there is no real penalty to passing turns is there? Enemies act when you act, move when you move, etc, but I think if you're just passing turns it's fine?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Jumping lets you jump over obstacles and deal some damage past enemy shields but it also makes your shots very inaccurate and bullets spray all over the place. You will really notice the difference between that and hero running right past an enemy and unloading your fully charged SMG into the enemy point blank. Every bullet will hit and the damage is immense :shredder: Of course, you should first destroy their shields or aim/time it so that your shots will go between the gaps in their shields.

And no, there are no guns that deal both direct and scratch damage.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Another important pro tip that may be obvious to some but if you read online discussions bout the game, many seem to be very confused about the combat system and have no idea about this: the health bars around enemies that represent their shields are literally the shields. Meaning that if you shoot between these gaps or simply any area that doesn't have a bar like that in front of you, the bullets will hit the enemy itself, not the shields.

YY3q8TN.jpg

Every shield you destroy will give you one shard back though so sometimes it's a good idea to destroy them even when you don't have to. Also, like I said in the previous post, while jumping your shots kinda fly all over the place so you can't really target specific points like this while airborne.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also, like I said in the previous post, while jumping your shots kinda fly all over the place so you can't really target specific points like this while airborne.
Still jumping is godsend against some enemies like those crawling robos. There are heavily shielded enemies you can explode with one well placed shot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom