Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Restricted Area pulped by Eurogamer

Atrokkus

Erudite
First there is no character customization, you get stuck with that ugly mug and you cannot even select diferent equipment later, you play a half nude scarred ugly that manages to miss all swords and staffs in the multi universe (only thing he can use is daggers, hammers, axes and clubs).
Hah, did you actually play the game? Or have you ignored story completely? The story is about Nameless One, how can you possibly conceive some other PC?

Not to say there is only ONE NPC capable of using ranged weapons, I guess the Nameless One also managed to miss all the ranged weapons in the multi universe.
I repeat, this is not a hack n slash game. There is no need for upholding all the canons of the genre here, because it is story-driven RPG, in which you can play almost witout killing anyone.

Second the game HEAVLY pushes for having high Wis and Int stats, you miss A LOT if you dont have high stats in those fields.
I don't understnad what's so bad in that?
The game is based on dialogs. You can't just go through it without paying attention to dialogs, otherwise you do lose much.
And it is perfectly logical that in dialogs your intelligence and wisdom is what matters the most. Also, Charisma is a serious factor.
Oh, and by the way, your dexterity, for instance, is also used. I really liked the fact that you could brake dustmen' necks in mortuary, given the required dex value.

Third, combat is a mixed bag ... in many cases its a joke as on others its hard as hell (I am looking at you Crust guards).
Again, this is NOT a hack'n'slash or pure action game. Combat does not have to be balanced.

Fouth, death is not a issue ... you die and 99% of the time changes are you are repawned in some area.
Again, you refuse to take story into consideration.
Damn, just RTFM!

PS:T is a incredible shitty RPG, if they taken the dialogue out of the game we would all be saying it.
Dialog CANNOT be taken out of this game as it is the CORE of the game. It's like taking out combat from Diablo.

I mean serious ... they could turn the damn thing into a adventure game and it would play 90% the same.
You have to make decisions that affect the NPC's reaction, and the course of history as a whole, both in small (like tipping the scales of local conflicts) and large scale (changing your own fate, and fate of your comrades), and that could be achieved both through dialogs and battle. That's one of the most important elements in a pure RPG. Much more so than combat.

Ha, Torment would be a pure RPG even if it had NO combat at all. If you're so obsessed about combat, then maybe hack'n'slash games are your bag?

Avé

Liturgist
Wow, you sure like to spout a lot of nonsensical bullshit :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom