Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return of the Codex

Sol Invictus

Erudite
After a full day of being AWOL without prior notice, the Codex has returned online, resuming its rightful place on the internet as the angriest and most critical RPG and gaming news website. The disconnection was caused by a recent Denial-of-Service attack.

We had to equip the ring to stop it. Before anyone starts speculating, here's Taluntain:
<blockquote>Saint doesn't seem to be around so, some facts before speculation starts:

Yesterday both DAC and RPG Codex that I host were targeted by yet another attack on phpBB (an exploit in it, for lack for a better word), which sent the server load so high in seconds that the server became non-responsive, so the only thing I could do at that point was to shut both sites down. Later a discussion about it started on the official phpBB forums, and apparently many sites suffered from these attacks at the same time. The attacks have stopped now, so everything is back to normal... until the next phpBB exploit. </blockquote>

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
My sentiments exactly... I was in the middle of a damned post when it went down; I had to get more words in edgewise! :twisted:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
City-of-doors Initiative was attacked too:

"If you're reading this then it means well-known security flaws in php-nuke have once again been kindly pointed out by the community of disenfranchised script kiddies that suckle on our substantial web-teat. "

Surlent

Liturgist
Soo Codex got h4x0rd. Again ?

Was it brazilians this time too ?

Reklar

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
My sentiments exactly... I was in the middle of a damned post when it went down; I had to get more words in edgewise! :twisted:

Ditto. I was a bit hacked when I couldn't get in my full daily recommended dose of Codex grief. :D After a few tries to get the site to reload though I figured it was probably another DOS attack. It sure would be nice to round up those beggars and shoot them, or at least dip 'em. :twisted:

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Surlent said:
Soo Codex got h4x0rd. Again ?

Was it brazilians this time too ?

Not h4x0r3d, it was basically a worm that does all kinds of fun things like connect to forums like this one, the one at DAC, and other places, and keep them loaded. DAC was getting around 150 processes spawned by it whereas RPGCodex, because it's older and tends to get more activity, got nailed with 350-400 processes. That's why we took RPGCodex down and eventually turned DAC back on and not RPGCodex.

Personally, I'm ready for our government to declare these script kiddies as terrorists. That way, we can use the army to catch them, throw their l33t asses in a dank prison somewhere, and make naked man pyramids out of them for the purpose of humilating them.

But, just for fun:

• 1:05:24 PM Saint_Proverbius: I'm just a little annoyed with the whole thing at this point.

1:06:08 PM Taluntain: you and half the internet, I imagine
    1:23:33 PM Saint_Proverbius: Holy shit! 200 guests on RPGCodex!

1:23:45 PM Taluntain: aw shit, not again
    1:23:56 PM Saint_Proverbius: Nah, I'm kidding.

1:24:10 PM Taluntain: you $#"#&!$#"&$/

I'm evil.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Terra-Arcanum got nailed yesterday too. I logged on to find we'd apparently had 308 visitors online that day and had a new record set. Needless to say I don't think it was our over-active community causing that many hits and I've since reset the most users online to a more respectable number. Thankfully our server seemed to be able to take the load.

Ozrat

Novice
NMA slowed down for a couple of days too, but I never noticed any increases in the user traffic like with the Santy worm. Different problem involved with that slowdown, or is it related to these attacks too?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's a new version of the Santy worm, I'd imagine. It didn't seem to affect VBB or InVision, though. Only PHPBB.

Fez

Erudite
Liar, it's always the Brazillians, you naughty little minx.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
the brazilians!

BR-MT-01.jpg

Avin

Liturgist
shut up or i'll pay my 10yr old neighbor to shut down the codex again.

Reklar

Liturgist
Well, at least if you did that we could find out who it was and toss 'em in juvie (kiddie jail). After Saint_Proverbius and Taluntain were finished working the little bastard over that is. :D

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom