Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Revisiting Old Games (Again)

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This thread has me craving for retro games but I'm trying to hold until my arcade machine arrives. It's proving more difficult with each new post though.

90% of my yt feed rn is arcade or genesis/snes let's play videos. The wait is killing me.

The fucker who's making my cabinet sure is taking his time(he told me he got a shitload of orders back in December and that's bogging him down).

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

It can take a while to get used to managing both your mech and the weapons platform, but it makes for a very unique game and it's very rewarding once you get a hang of it. Timestamped to the stage where you use your weapons platform for close range air strike support from above the canopy cover. Really cool use of the Mega Drive's fast palette swapping as well.

6 button pad helps with the controls.

The originality and creativity in this game is very underrated. Took me a while to get into, but was worth persisting with for sure, very clever game.

Very original, but not out of the blue either. It's as much the team's preceding masterpiece Granada (on both the Mega Drive and X68000, the Mega Drive port having better controls, the X68000 original having nicer visuals. The thumbnail below is strange, but watch the video, the game looks great):

as it is an old Japanese PC game called Hover Attack, which incidentally has a modern remake from cult classic developer Mindware:

The other Hover Attack inspired game ofc. being Treasure's Bangai O.

Hell Swarm

Educated
This thread has me craving for retro games but I'm trying to hold until my arcade machine arrives. It's proving more difficult with each new post though.

90% of my yt feed rn is arcade or genesis/snes let's play videos. The wait is killing me.

The fucker who's making my cabinet sure is taking his time(he told me he got a shitload of orders back in December and that's bogging him down).
Buy an arcade stick and stand too close to your monitor. Same experience!

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Buy an arcade stick and stand too close to your monitor. Same experience!
Not at all.

It's a 4-players arcade machine btw. So for 3 to 4 player games the experience is gonna be even more different.

Not that I'm not playing because of the "experience". It's because I don't wanna get burned out on some games before it arrives. I'm paying some good money for the thing so I wanna make the most out of it.

Last edited:

SilentMRG

Literate
I'm revisiting both PS1 Medal of Honor.

I use ePSXe with a video plugin called "ePSXe GPU core 2.0.0." This is basically the default plugin, and it offers graphics similar to what I remember on my old CRT TV, hehe. :-D

Just for the record, I'm using this key configuration:

MoH.png

Note: I forgot to say that the game's internal control setting is at its default. I never changed the controls, not even when I had a PS1 around 2001. In fact, I don't even know if MoH has the option to remap controls.

So... I don't have a Gamepad and this setup is very comfortable. Here's a tip for those who want to venture into these classics with a keyboard in mind. Ahh, yes, there is such a thing as a "Mouse Injector" for DuckStation and other emulators: https://github.com/garungorp/MouseInjectorDolphinDuck

According to the list it doesn't work so well with MoH. Either way, it's an alternative for those who can't adapt to just a keyboard. Obviously for all other cases a Gamepad will do the job, but that's not the case here.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
How are you handling manual aiming with that setup? C + WASD? That seems like a nightmare, although I guess not much more of a nightmare than playing on PS1 with a non-dualshock controller was.

I've played MoH Underground on epsxe with a mouse injector a while ago, not a great experience from a controls perspective but it was definitely playable.

SilentMRG

Literate
How are you handling manual aiming with that setup? C + WASD? That seems like a nightmare, although I guess not much more of a nightmare than playing on PS1 with a non-dualshock controller was.

I've played MoH Underground on epsxe with a mouse injector a while ago, not a great experience from a controls perspective but it was definitely playable.
In fact, manual aiming is set to "Right Ctrl" and shooting to "Right Shift" as well. I use a Laptop so these keys are close and I can use my right hand on them, while the left is for the "WASD" (used to move the character and manual aiming), while the "C" I use to crouch. Confused? So, MoH uses a strange pattern of controls, for example "Triangle" to jump.

Really, the mouse injector works more or less in MoH.

Machocruz

Arcane
Remember thinking MoH had Saving Private Ryan level sound design at the time. It was really good for a PS1 game, but maybe not that good. Top tier ost though.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
My arcade machine arrived last week.

Had more time to play it these past two days and I've already finished Metal Slug X twice. That's more than I've played this whole year on my PC and Switch, so I'd say it was already worth it.

At first I was struggling with the controls, was hitting the diagonals instead of right/left all the time, but I'm getting used to it and I'm able to hit it more consistently now. Maybe I'll upgrade them in the future, to a sanwa stick or add restrictors perhaps, but I don't think I'll bother with it for now.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Had more time to play it these past two days and I've already finished Metal Slug X twice. That's more than I've played this whole year on my PC and Switch, so I'd say it was already worth it.

At first I was struggling with the controls, was hitting the diagonals instead of right/left all the time, but I'm getting used to it and I'm able to hit it more consistently now. Maybe I'll upgrade them in the future, to a sanwa stick or add restrictors perhaps, but I don't think I'll bother with it for now.
You have a place to keep it, I assume?
Garage or somewhere else?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm revisiting both PS1 Medal of Honor.

I use ePSXe with a video plugin called "ePSXe GPU core 2.0.0." This is basically the default plugin, and it offers graphics similar to what I remember on my old CRT TV, hehe. :-D

Just for the record, I'm using this key configuration:

MoH.png

Note: I forgot to say that the game's internal control setting is at its default. I never changed the controls, not even when I had a PS1 around 2001. In fact, I don't even know if MoH has the option to remap controls.

So... I don't have a Gamepad and this setup is very comfortable. Here's a tip for those who want to venture into these classics with a keyboard in mind. Ahh, yes, there is such a thing as a "Mouse Injector" for DuckStation and other emulators: https://github.com/garungorp/MouseInjectorDolphinDuck

According to the list it doesn't work so well with MoH. Either way, it's an alternative for those who can't adapt to just a keyboard. Obviously for all other cases a Gamepad will do the job, but that's not the case here.
I played those games back in the day.
Pretty decent as far as console shooters go.
Though Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is still the best one.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

You have a place to keep it, I assume?
Garage or somewhere else?
I live in a 200.000m² farmhouse. Space is not a problem.

And tbh, it's big but doesn't take as much space as I thought it would. I leave it at the recreational area in the main house, but I could've placed it in the living room and maybe even inside one of the bedrooms if I wanted.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not too many better cabinets to own than a Metal Slug. I'd have MS2 and a Capcom fighter, one of the Marvel vs. or Darkstalkers 2 or Alpha 2

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Not too many better cabinets to own than a Metal Slug. I'd have MS2 and a Capcom fighter, one of the Marvel vs. or Darkstalkers 2 or Alpha 2
STREET FIGHTER!
Never been much into fighting games and always sucked at them, but I've been finding myself playing MK2 a lot since the machine arrived and enjoying it quite a bit. I know it's subjective, but IMO it's way more fun to play them with arcade controls.

And I've forgotten how tough these arcade fighting games were. After all, they were supposed to make money for the owners. They're a good challenge.

Machocruz

Arcane
Never been much into fighting games and always sucked at them, but I've been finding myself playing MK2 a lot since the machine arrived and enjoying it quite a bit. I know it's subjective, but IMO it's way more fun to play them with arcade controls.

And I've forgotten how tough these arcade fighting games were. After all, they were supposed to make money for the owners. They're a good challenge.
I always found the Capcom fighters reasonable, SNK manageable until you get to a boss. MK2 was particularly rough because even the first character reads your inputs constantly, and MK control scheme was always awkward to me.

SilentMRG

Literate
I played those games back in the day.
Pretty decent as far as console shooters go.
Though Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is still the best one.
Among all games of all genres on consoles at the time, the AI was extraordinary. You know, they sought cover and flanked, looked for the player when any noise was heard. The only game that had similar AI pre-1999 was MGS. MoHAA gets even better with this: https://www.moddb.com/games/medal-o...l-of-honor-allied-assault-unofficial-patch-10

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I always found the Capcom fighters reasonable, SNK manageable until you get to a boss. MK2 was particularly rough because even the first character reads your inputs constantly, and MK control scheme was always awkward to me.
Yeah, especially from the third opponent onwards. Once I got used to the controls I managed to get to the third one with relatively ease, but from there on it gets considerably harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom