Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Watch Lara's bum in NextGen fidelity

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So wrote on this over at TechRaptor but figure you guys might be interested given some of the other stuff Square publishes. Basically: they published the pc version stuff saying it would come with a PC Retail Copy and then changed it later to say Digital Download. Users in the EU still got physical copies (which Square lied saying they have no content on them ) but those in the US were just sent an empty case without the game in it.

I go into it in more detail there if you want to read it or have any questions I can try to answer them.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So wrote on this over at TechRaptor but figure you guys might be interested given some of the other stuff Square publishes. Basically: they published the pc version stuff saying it would come with a PC Retail Copy and then changed it later to say Digital Download. Users in the EU still got physical copies (which Square lied saying they have no content on them ) but those in the US were just sent an empty case without the game in it.

I go into it in more detail there if you want to read it or have any questions I can try to answer them.
This is the same shit that Ubi pulled earlier with the MMH[x] release. I'm not sure why they think that they can just 'get away' with doing this kind of shit.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

This is the same shit that Ubi pulled earlier with the MMH[x] release. I'm not sure why they think that they can just 'get away' with doing this kind of shit.

That doesn't surprise me. Don't forget what Ubisoft did with the Anno 2205 "pre-order beta" - namely just removed it without notice for no reason.

And for why they think they can get away with it... a lot of people won't care in general.

pippin

If I remember correctly, there was a "special edition" for a game that only included the feelies. Not even the empty case.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished this the other day...it was ok. Good graphics and mildly compelling with regards to lots of incentives (skills, upgrades, weapons etc) to keep playing. I think the 2013 reboot was better - tons more amusing ways for Lara to die (although this also had a few that made me LOL) and there were more memorable set pieces than in this installment. Additionally, the story echoes the first installment with Lara ending up facing mythical warriors at the end after mowing down hordes of generic mercenaries most of the time. Also I liked how Lara got grubbier and more beat up as the earlier story went on whereas in this installment you can change her costume at every camp which doesn't make much sense as she can run through deep snow in a tank top with no consequences if you want.

It took me 20 hours to finish on Normal mode. The challenge tombs were a little more elaborate this time and a couple were even mildly challenging. Worth a buy at a Steam sale if you enjoyed the first one IMO.

Last edited:

pippin

You can changer Lara's costume at every camp in the previous game too, but only if you have the dlc. Those are generic costumes that cover up more of her body than the default one, fucking decline.
From your comments it seems it's pretty much tr2013 2.0, which is meh but probably worth buying on sale for me.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Secret Soviet installation in the middle of nowhere (Siberia), the text above the entrance says:
"Occupational accident prevention is the duty of every worker"

Only one little plot twist... it's written in Bulgarian, not Russian :lol:

r50eFtl.png

Beowulf

Arcane
Secret Soviet installation in the middle of nowhere (Siberia), the text above the entrance says:
"Occupational accident prevention is the duty of every worker"

Only one little plot twist... it's written in Bulgarian, not Russian :lol:

Perhaps squatters from The People's Republic of Bulgaria work there?

A horse of course

Just played the 2013 one and really enjoyed it, fucking QTEs aside. People who've played both, how does Rise compare?

I wouldn't even think about getting it until the PS4 version update is applied to PC and there's a big sale, anyway.

Urbanolo

Augur
Just played the 2013 one and really enjoyed it, fucking QTEs aside. People who've played both, how does Rise compare?

I wouldn't even think about getting it until the PS4 version update is applied to PC and there's a big sale, anyway.

It's more of the same. Like literally, the game is very very similar, only now it's a snowy area instead of tropical island. I got the game for like 40 PLN (which is like 7 euro) and it was kinda worth it at that price. Wouldn't pay much more though.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Boss fights are horribly gimmicky but other than that it's a good game. Survival instincts, also known as the awesome Q key, make it a bit too easy to explore areas and respawning enemies guarantee you will earn enough xp to unlock all skills.
Makes the "skill tree" redundant.

Weapon upgrades are nice since they also change the appearance as is finding new weapons but once you have a top damage weapon the rest seem useless. I wish you could also customize the outfits like you do with weapons, allowing increased resistances, which are now available only through skills, and better stealth.
Still there are plenty of outfits to choose from and I always ignored the bonus preferring the ones with the better appearance.

bonescraper

Objectively speaking, it's more of the same (the game is also longer/richer in content by roughly 50%), the survival mode DLC is quite fun.

But to be honest I liked it less than the first one. I love exploring old abandoned Soviet installations, but the people who made this game don't have a clue how to make it look and feel convincing. I the whole place felt like Alaska or fucking northern Canada instead. Maybe it's just me, but I liked the Japanese island way better.

circ

Arcane

TR 2013 is actually a good game by comparison. But only compared to this, not other games.

It's amazing how much decline can happen in 2 years. That's 2 years of recyclng the old assets and upgrading textures, although somehow it runs horribly. They also don't understand the first thing about color theory - neither do I but I know when something looks like it's awash with bloom and color and hurts my eyes - the devs of this don't. And reviewers said this game looks amazing and will stress your system to the max. Well I guess the second part is true.

I think the Sovjyetski facility is just something that got axed from the 'first' one. It's so badly designed. The first one tried to make its platforms and railings look like they somewhat belong, in this one they're just placed randomly it seems and there's a village of what must be circus artists, because they too like Lara, must get from place to place with rope arrows. Game taking place around Syria would have been a more inspiring location than this shit.

Story is like something envisioned by M. Night Shamalamayamayomama, transcribed by some intern that doesn't speak english with every possible cliche and obvious plot-twist imaginable. And there's so much story. Cut-scenes everywhere, but it's awful. Why so many cut-scenes when that becomes a game in itself - seeing how fast you can press space to skip it.

Crafting doesn't make sense and turns into repetitive scavenger hunt for materials. Upgrades are pointless and weapons within their own types are samey. The weapons are for the most part as useless as the upgrades are boring. 6 different bows or thereabouts. You will only ever need 3; beginner bow, automatic story upgrade to recurve and finally compound bow through upgrades, about mid-way through the game. Compound does so much damage that it's ignorably slower draw speed and time are non-issues. The remaining bows are 'ancient' bows - one sporting longer duration of your 'insta death cloud of maximum death'. It already kills everything instantly in a wide area with an upgrade. What do I need the duration boost for when it does lower damage in other situations?

I did get some enjoyment out of stealth 'challenges', although how an NPC is unaware of someone behind them in foot-high snow, no matter how slow they walk, I don't know. Also seeing your worn upgrades show up on your toon is a fun thing to see that's over quickly because most upgrades are done quickly, only hindered by story progression.

Really, they seem to have learned nothing from the first one and what worked in it and improving what parts didn't. They've remade it, with baby's first area design, new (improved I'll give them that) interface, new graphical features to qualify for a next-gen prize with no thought on how it looks or performs, and a story so unoriginal it should be taught in classes on how not to write one. Also sure, the first one threw physical realism out the window tied to a 20 ton weight, but this one one-ups even that. Hypothermia doesn't exist - it's just a fortunate segue into a memory cut-scene. Bones don't break unless you're a foot above the limit and then you die instantly. Invisible face kevlar exists. Wounds heal almost instantly, and then instantly with skill upgrades - which by the way are mostly recycled from the first one and are so bland it almost induces physical pain. Lara is still emo-Lara. Kill 200 people mercilessly in the first one and survive by your own means alone, some years later in the same situation, act like you've never left your safe-space in your life.

Yeah I was looking for some games to run on my shiny new gtx 1070 but came to the conclusion upgrading was a waste of money. gems like new tomb raider, D44M and the like are just too much.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah the story is laughably bad, takes itself incredibly seriously and is riddled with feminist/SJW crap, as you would expect. On the latter in particular:

There are no bad women in the story. Not really. Even the two main female antagonists aren't truly evil, despite being psychotic mass murderers. They just became misguided due to their poor-poor-me circumstances, so they're really the victims after all. Natch.

bonescraper

Yeah the story is laughably bad, takes itself incredibly seriously and is riddled with feminist/SJW crap, as you would expect. On the latter in particular:

There are no bad women in the story. Not really. Even the two main female antagonists aren't truly evil, despite being psychotic mass murderers. They just became misguided due to their poor-poor-me circumstances, so they're really the victims after all. Natch.
Reverse SJW, just as bad.

A horse of course

I picked this up when the 20th Anniversary patch/deluxe edition hit to round off my Tomb Raider retrospective and just finished it. It was pretty good overall for someone who enjoyed TR 2013, though I was disappointed at how they rehased a lot of plot points and characterization from the first game, such as Lara starting off as a total wreck and constantly complaining about how everything is her fault etc. replete with the first hour or so of gameplay involving lots of walking really slowly and falling down. The two main antagonists were a lot better than Father Mathias (I had to think for a minute to actually remember his name) though the mini-twist involving Konstantin's stigmata was a bit of a stretch. Personally I wasn't too keen on the RPG-ite blocking off of various areas until the story decides to give you the necessary gear in this case, as in some instances areas are only traversable via gear found right at the end of the main story. The general exploration and looting of collectibles was good fun, particularly because as in the first game they put so much effort into the history, culture and lifestyle of the runaway Byzantines, as I wouldn't have bothered with much of that crap otherwise. One thing I particularly disliked was that the combat areas seemed to have been shrunken down compared to TR2013, possibly to emphasize CQC over waiting for enemies to pop out. Whilst was this fun against shield enemies and such, it could get a bit hectic in the final chapter.

The DLC is passable-to-crap - Baba Yaga is a fairly substantial block of content to extend the first hub area, though Cold Darkness Awakened and Lara's Nightmare are essentially time attack or horde modes, so if you simply want to play through them once it'll take you less than 2hrs to finish. Blood Ties is basically a story-driven mini-puzzle/adventure segment where you walk around Croft Manor and use clues to work out door and safe combinations. If you enjoy a bit of soap-opera drama with some light horror themes you'll probably be hooked (I was), but Lara's VA (Camilla Luddington) sounded alternately drugged and deathly bored when delivering a lot of the lines. I suspect she was dragged back into the recording studio for like an hour and they just went with the first take of everything.

tl;dr get it in a sale with the dlc if you liked 2013

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom