Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Discussion in 'Piranha Bytes' started by toro, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Monsters respawn in all PB games.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • No No x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ZagorTeNej Arcane

ZagorTeNej
    That's one of the reasons people consider Risen 3 to be the easiest PB game, around 1/3d or so into the game the enemies become fodder for you char and no new enemies appear till the end of the game. Of course, reverse difficulty curve is a thing for CRPGs but usually they still try to come up with something a bit more challenging to throw at you in later stages of the game, Risen 3 is completely stale in that regard.

Act change respawns a small portion of monsters in every PB game IIRC so that's par for the course.

^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Fair enough, I don't remember it being so plentiful and obvious before but maybe I was just in a heavily repopulated area.

^ Top  
  4. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Consider playing Risen 1, in that game you'll have 9 trillion lizardmen respawned at every fucking corner of the map on a new chapter :despair:

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    More enemies on PB games means more xp.

:love:

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Oh I played it, I just have the memory of a gnat. I went magic user in that game for some reason, which is weird for me. Same with Two Worlds 2. Thinking about a sword focused replay soon.

^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    monsters also seem to spawn based on the time of day, I've teleported to an area I know I recently cleaned out and one or two monsters would be lurking around

^ Top  
  8. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    No. Nothing respawns in Gothic 1 and 2. When you progress to a new Act there are new spawns but there are no respawns. What's dead, stays dead. And if you didn't kill them in the previous Act you'll face them again plus the spawns from the new act.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Well 30 hours in I'm finding the will to continue leaving me. Mostly because each island kind of feels the same. I put Kila off until last for whatever reason and just got there looking for a new island to explore, and it... looks the same as the others. Has the same enemies. It kind of sapped my energy out from under me, not gonna lie. Taking a break with some shooters and will hopefully go back and wrap the game up relatively quick-ish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Still had more variation than Risen 2, where every island felt like a straight copy paste. I'm on the final island and decided to shelve it for a bit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Right, I used the wrong word. New spawns happen in all PB games, not respawns. But every chapter that passes new monsters will spawn in, the ones you didn't kill usually stay, and the ones you did kill stay dead. You knew what I meant you bastard.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Well, yeah, that's the problem with having an open-ended game with factions on different islands and no level scaling. Anyway, at this point you should be op enough to just waltz through everything (especially if you're a mage, but it doesn't matter that much). Just be warned that the final island is super bad even on a "closing chapter of a PB game" scale.

^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I mean, I'm just looking for some more variety and maybe some faction interplay. More a lack of resources issue than a genre issue, I'd guess. Other games have looked the same most of the way through but kept me much more engaged with interesting quest dynamics or faction play, like New Vegas.

^ Top  
  14. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Too bad you're almost done with it, there's an overhaul mod that aims to fix many things with the base game, including its difficulty.

https://www.nexusmods.com/risen3/mods/6

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Are there two handed weapons or are we stuck with Rapier McSwashbucklerski.

^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    LOL "the game is much darker and the coloring is less saturated to make the game appear more mature." Okay then try-hards.

Anyway the rebalance could be good, I dunno. Maybe someday I'll play with it. I'm not really looking for more challenge though necessarily, I kind of like feeling like a god late in RPGs, if you feel like you've earned it. I'm more just looking for more interesting content. It's much more the islands and enemies feeling the same and story going nowhere interesting mechanics wise that are the problem.

^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    the color improvements are good, pick the 'lite' version
    the massive brightness shift between outside/inside & bloom in the base game is awful
    I played the entire game with most of the patch enabled, I recommend it

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Man I really fucked myself going to Kila last. Had no idea what the hearts were for and doubled my damn health bar in 2 minutes. Whoops. I'm already in god mode though, so pointless now. Though that spider bitch was pretty annoying.

^ Top  
  19. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Finished it. Really became a slog toward the end because I was completely invincible but enemies still blocked and stun-locked me a lot, making combat tedious. I skipped the second DLC island because I was ready for it to be over and then I arrive at the climax and discover it's another massive island with a ton of quest shit to do on it. I resisted the urge to rage quit and mainlined the main quest, finishing in a couple hours.

This all sounds very negative but I wouldn't say the game is shit or anything, it just wore out its welcome. Just a combination of god mode (on hard) and a weaker translation without much wit or good dialog. The islands are massive and exploration is solid, but without a good story or upgrade goal it just all got very boring eventually. For the first 20 hours or so though I quite enjoyed it, and it brought a little of that old PB charm back here and there. Certainly nice to have a big open world again after Risen 2, and the graphics were nice. Everything in Darth Roxor's review on here is accurate, but just a bit exaggerated in how bad he makes it sound. If you were a fan of the first Risen then this one is definitely worth playing. Just start focusing on the main quest once the game gets easy, or else you'll burn out like I did.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. unfairlight Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    The DLC island is actually pretty good, so you missed out there.
    I never found combat tedious, probably because I was overpowered and 2hit everything with the best weapon in the game and max attack speed + attack speed spell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Kila is the worst. You have to cut your way through a couple hundred spiders which gets old... FAST.

^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Which one? I did Fog Island but skipped Thieve's Island. I read it had stealth missions and was mostly a re-do of a Risen 2 island and I was like nope nope nope, ready to move on to another game.

^ Top  
  23. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    I just finished Risen 2 & 3 run and must say despite the bad press these games get, I had a good time. Sure, both of them are inferior to Gothics in terms of combat and exploration. They however make up for some of it with the fun pirate setting, distinct style and hilarious dialogues (conversations with Patty and the gnomes always deliver).

Dark Waters have more of the sheer hilarity in badass dialogues (in Titan Lords most funny and dickish responses cost you part of your soul), I also liked combat a bit more - in 3 every human enemy or monster has this ridiculous jumping attack that you have to avoid by frantic dodges, which I did not enjoy at all. Besides, there is also no kick in 3. The story in 2 is also better - fighting Mara is a clear continuation of the struggle against the Titan Lords. Necroloth is revealed as a Titan Lord in the last chapters of 3, like it was an afterthought. The Shadows are lame and cliched opponents, I much prefered the sea monsters of 2.

However, character building in 2 is butchered by the fact that all the best stuff (lockpicking, dialogue options, monkeys, parrots, dirty tricks) is hidden under just one stat: cunning. Risen 3 distributed the goodness more equally between dexterity, influence, cunning, toughness and even made spirit a wortwhile choice (alchemy!). The faction system in 3 is better than in 2 but the problem is those factions rarely interact with each other and mostly don't have mutually exclusive agendas. Basically they all want to battle Shadows and only differ in methods.

Dark Watters have a better hero. If you have a nameless protagonist without a fixed backstory, who is basically avatar of the player, why change him between parts of the trilogy? Patty's previously unmentioned brother is an unneeded addition to the world that already has a heroic figure who saved it a couple of times and should have been given a chance to do it once more. Also, the voice actor of the PC in Titan Lords was obviously trying too hard. I prefered the relaxed no bullshit voice of the nameless hero from 2 to the edgy Batman-like voice of the nameless hero from 3.

Finally, the sea battles. Dark Waters completely dropped the ball here. If you want to make a pirate epic, some of it has to happen on the sea. In Risen 2 you only have like 2 lame battles with sea monsters in which you don't even get to steer, just shoot. Sea battles in Risen 3 are not perfect, but at least you get some maneuvering with your ship and several boarding actions. Still not great but better than nothing. It's a pity you cannot customize your ship in any Risen. At least in 3 you get to choose it's general looks (together with a faction).

All in all these are not bad games, just very flawed ones, hampered by obvious budget problems. The decline from earlier offerings of Pyranha Bytes is obvious, but they also tried to bring some fresh elements to the table. However I must say that being a pirate felt like real fun and in the end, that's what matters when it comes to games. Being a pirate felt so good than now I am continuing the experience, this time in Vendetta: Curse of the Raven's Cry. A game with even worse press, terrible score, but more developped pirate elements (customizable ships and crews, navigating the high seas, real naval battles, historical Carribean setting). I am definately intrigued.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Arrowgrab Arbiter

Arrowgrab
    Please post some updates on whether Vendetta's any good some time in the future.

^ Top  
  25. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    I'll be doing it in the relevant thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...now-less-hilariously-unfinished.90073/page-23

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.