Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Romance in KOTOR2

errorcode

Liturgist
i never really thought that much about it, but your right.

The spiritual journey with Dakkon, the friendship with Morte, the the underlying hatred of Pyronius (sp?), helping Nordom to grow....all of these were great, complex interactions that just aren't that present in any other RPG out there. I can't think of any othe game i've played that has had those types of realistic social connections between player and NPCs.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I'd like to see more focus on friendship, cameraderie and other relationships. Romance, while possibly interesting, can feel very cheesy in many games - and I generally shun it, as I would if I was romancing a character played by my GM. It's just creepy. :D

DemonKing

Arcane
AlanC9 said:
Most of the Carth-hating came from adolescent boys, particularly ones who aren't very secure in their own masculinity.

Well I'm a married man in my 30s and I still loathed the prick...far too much whining matched with that ridiculous goatee and floppy hair.

Of course - my wife often tells me I have the heart of an adolescent... :wink:

Overall I agree with some of the other posters - deeper non-romantic relationships would be more interesting for me then the current trend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
AlanC9 said:
From the BioBoards, it's pretty clear that Carth was popular with the ladies, though not quite as popular as Valen.

Yeah, but most of them are 250lbs. or larger and would get rejected by a vibrator.

Most of the Carth-hating came from adolescent boys, particularly ones who aren't very secure in their own masculinity.

I hated Carth mainly because he was a twit. I'd consider anyone a twit that was constantly wanting to talk about why he doesn't trust you, or anyone for that matter. If you don't trust me, why the hell are you sharing your life story with me? He'd do that regardless of your actions as well. You just mug a guy, and a few minutes later, Carth's telling you he doesn't trust you because of how his commanding officer betrayed him and wiped out his family or some shit. That's idiotic.

suibhne

Erudite
I didn't find Carth's dialogue that irritating; it was the voice-acting that did him in for me. He was unremittingly whiny and defensive. A pity, because the premise of his character wasn't fatally flawed, and he was a better blaster blaster than the assassin droid unless you had a high Repair rank.

KotOR had a few interesting characters, but for the most part your relationships with them were minimal. The largest exceptions were probably Carth, Bastila, and Jolee - and maybe HK-47, with a high Repair skill - but even then I didn't generally feel like my relationship with the NPC was evolving so much as that I was simply learning more about him or her. It's a fine line, and I'm not even sure I can identify why KotOR's (and BG2's) NPCs felt passive while PS:T's felt more active (despite having much less dialogue and scripting); I just hope Obsidian is able to capture more of the interpersonal complexity from PS:T in KotOR 2.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, but most of them are 250lbs. or larger and would get rejected by a vibrator.

Ah, yes, more of the subtle wit that's made RPGCodex such a respected site.

I hated Carth mainly because he was a twit. I'd consider anyone a twit that was constantly wanting to talk about why he doesn't trust you, or anyone for that matter. If you don't trust me, why the hell are you sharing your life story with me? He'd do that regardless of your actions as well. You just mug a guy, and a few minutes later, Carth's telling you he doesn't trust you because of how his commanding officer betrayed him and wiped out his family or some shit. That's idiotic.

True, except that Carth doesn't want to talk about those things. The PC has to drag that information out of him. Funny how many people insist on asking questions when they don't care about the answers.

The real problem with Carth is that he doesn't have anything else to talk about.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
AlanC9 said:
True, except that Carth doesn't want to talk about those things. The PC has to drag that information out of him. Funny how many people insist on asking questions when they don't care about the answers.

Well, you did have the, "HAY GUESS WHAT CARTH LOOKS TENSE WHY NOT ASK HIM HOW HES DOING?" reminders, though because it's been a while since I've played, I can't remember exactly how often they'd bug you.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
AlanC9 said:
except that Carth doesn't want to talk about those things. The PC has to drag that information out of him.
The real problem with Carth is that he doesn't have anything else to talk about.
With all due respect, AlanC9, have you ever seen a guy that doesn't want to talk about some stuff? I'm no introvert but I'd ask someone who tries to 'drag' something out of me to check if he can stick his lightsaber so high up his ass so light can be seen through his nostrils.

I know, that 'has happened' because PC is so charismatic, but what if my CHA has been at 8? Hopefully, the influence system and in-game flags ('influence' is supposed to be gamepath-dependent, imo) will make NPC confidence more or less believable.

Jed

Cipher
How much whinier is Carth if you play TEH EVIL! path through KotOR? Will he stay with you?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
He hines some more. Eventually he runs away swearing he'll save your soul (if youa re female I think).

littleboy

Liturgist
near the end when (or just before) he runs away was my favorite part of the game, making the wookie kill mission through force purswade, oooooh so bad, so very very bad.

AlanC9

Liturgist
[quote="ichpokhudezh']
With all due respect, AlanC9, have you ever seen a guy that doesn't want to talk about some stuff? I'm no introvert but I'd ask someone who tries to 'drag' something out of me to check if he can stick his lightsaber so high up his ass so light can be seen through his nostrils.

I know, that 'has happened' because PC is so charismatic, but what if my CHA has been at 8? Hopefully, the influence system and in-game flags ('influence' is supposed to be gamepath-dependent, imo) will make NPC confidence more or less believable.[/quote]

Fair point. Bio's always made the PC super-special to the NPCs for no real reason except that he's the PC

AlanC9

Liturgist
Volourn said:
He hines some more. Eventually he runs away swearing he'll save your soul (if youa re female I think).

There was a deleted ending where he could actually do this. When he meets up with you on the Star Forge, you were supposed to be able to reject the Dark Side and kill Bastila, and then the Republic fleet destroys the Forge and Carth and the PC fall into the sun.

Pity they cut that. It would have been my favorite ending.

Fez

Erudite
Any ending where Carth dies has to be a bonus for those who have grown to hate him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom