Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome Total War II

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by oscar, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I will give this a chance with the new patch... and then get terribly bored shortly after, like all TW games since Empire onwards.

Stainless Steel 7.0 for M2TW should be out by Christmas however.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Brinko Arcane

Brinko
    well going through the total war reddit and I am seeing a common theme with patch 15. Near as I can tell due to the AI getting buffed to promote their guys and kill yours, having a civil war is damn near impossible unless you only have generals under your faction and adopt like a motherfucker.

Can't wait to see another idea go down in flames. Also if anyone is keeping count with Armenia being brought in as another free faction we are now looking at 28 factions in the game thus far.

^ Top  
  3. Mefi Prophet Patron

Mefi
    waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
    Doesn't help they broke stuff which worked before just for this beta. Formations, diplomacy, BAI and even player controlled units not responding to orders. Even testing beta 15 gets old fast with those issues.

The changes to building chains and politics in themselves could be interesting but currently they need hammering into the direction of presenting even a moderate challenge within a campaign game. Which is fair enough if you're expecting people to test functionality and then come back to review for balance, so we'll see if that happens before full release. The alterations to combat balance do present a challenge when you ramp up the AI buffs with difficulty level but that's only really applicable to factions where players became overly reliant on their heavy sword infantry roflstomping spears or factions reliant on breaking the opposing army's morale quickly. Equally unimpressed with the decision to try and avoid issues with sieges by further reducing garrisons and linking garrison size with military buildings.

Know there's a few attempts to do overhaul mods with Rome 2 but I've yet to be satisfied with any of them, and the project I was involved with has now finished due to various difficulties we faced. It's not so much the access to be able to mod now but rather the ability of the modders to create something which doesn't look obnoxiously amateurish combined with that. Especially true for things which aren't based on artwork already existing within the files. But also the issue of the campaign map and how to hack away some of the more boneheaded and limiting design decisions. The mod community gets more limited in scope and more reliant on CA providing tools as a result. Good example was the stupidity around sound files and being able to change them. CA and the company which provided the software to manipulate them eventually did a deal to allow modders access. It shouldn't be that hard just to change a sound file.

Credit to CA for still trying to make changes a year after release, and to throw out more free DLC rather than a paid for expansion, but it just emphasises to me how poorly thought out, and received, many of the decisions which went into this game were.

^ Top  
  4. Brinko Arcane

Brinko
    So I decided to look into the Rome 2 encyclopedia to see how the new building chains looked for different factions. What I was interested in was the new main settle split off you can now have instead of settlements just following a straight line of development.

And that is where I discovered that retards are still at the helm.

Here is the Satrap settlement stats:
    Show Spoiler

Cost 6,000
    Repair cost 2,400
    Repair cost if ruined 4,800
    • +12% wealth from all sources
    • +6 artillery on walls
    • 350 wealth from subsistence
    • +9 growth per turn
    • +6 public order per turn
    • -8 food

Here is the Royal settlement stats:
    Show Spoiler

Cost 7,100
    Repair cost 2,840
    Repair cost if ruined 5,680
    • +12% wealth from all sources
    • +6 Eastern cultural influence
    • +6 artillery on walls
    • 500 wealth from subsistence
    • +9 growth per turn
    • +6 public order per turn
    • -8 food

So who in their right fucking mind would pick the first one over the other? Hang on I seem to remember something about buildings in the patch notes I posted last page.

Grand fucking job.

^ Top  
  5. Brinko Arcane

Brinko
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Cool map, shitty game.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Lepidus as a faction in his own right? What kind of joke is this? Independant Gaul? Do they drink the magical potion too? Egypt and Antony as separate factions? Yeah, right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    ^ Top  
  9. Tytus Arcane

Tytus
    It wil be either Empire 2 (which I would love to see if done properly but it's modern CA) or maybe something focused on a shorter, specified time period lika Napoleon.

Or... maybe they'll just say fuck it, we are already making fantasy games with no real connection to history (Rome 2 is the best example) and they'll finally make LOTR: Total War.

^ Top  
  10. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    yeah, I'm done with this company forever.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Ever heard of Warhammer? They're working on that, too.

But the news say it's Total War. So either a stand-alone expansion for Rome II, or a rushed and buginfested Empire II or whatever.

^ Top  
  12. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Warhammer Total War?

^ Top  
  13. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    what do you mean?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    ^ Top  
  15. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    ^ Top  
  17. Brinko Arcane

Brinko
    http://imgur.com/a/Lw4i7

Album of the new bonuses you get from the different level of the new politics system. Pretty nice that they have jacked being able to drain taxes out of your people through the roof

^ Top  
  18. titus Arcane Patron

titus
    I'm thinking Medieval.

^ Top  
  19. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron Sad Loser

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. kris Arcane

kris
    I did some replaying on Empire and Rome2 with all patches.

Empire is a game I so wanted to be bad, but it still seems to be utterly broken. I suspect the changed the AI so it now at least protect its capital. Of course that means that it doesn't seem to attack at all. More than before just send out raiding parties. Of course the larger problem is still the broken province system with large countries like France being one province.

Rome2. Actually seems to have an AI now and on the higher difficult cheats at an hilarious level to give a big challenge. I gotta tell this...

When playing as Rome on very hard I had just deafeated the Etruscan league by defeating their last armies outside of Neaples. but when I clicked the turn button something surprising and almost shocking happened. The Etruscan league which only had one general with no armies left attacked cosentia. They had hired 8 mercenaries and took the city. I moved there the next turn, but then I saw at which level the AI cheated. They had now hired FOUR regiments, something which should not have been possible, and had more mercenaries as they also took Brundisium. As Veneti had at the same time attacked in the north I now had negative income and had to disband armies. While the Etruscan league by no means should have been able to do what it did.

^ Top  
  21. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Eh Eye always did stuff like that, even on default difficulty. They have monetary and upkeep bonuses to prevent the idiots from bankrupting themselves every second turn, and depending on the game, bonuses to trait and command generation rates, or the amount of units that could be produced per turn. Medieval 2 modders, being cyclopean dumbfucks, loved to create scripts that spammed full stack reinforcements whenever the AI fell below a certain income/number of provinces etc.

^ Top  
  22. kris Arcane

kris
    I noticed these things in previous incarnations. But Rome before the patches was laughably easy as AI couldn't do tricks like the one I mentioned above. I now have problems on very hard, especially since I hardly can support my armies. I even bought an mercenary elephant for just one battle and then disbanded it since its upkeep is 700+.

^ Top  
  23. spectre Arcane

spectre
    It's a crying shame they cannot design a game and then an AI to handle it.
    I would turn a blind eye to it earlier, but it's gotten really blatant in Shogun 2, where it would conjure up armies of level 8 samurai when you weren't looking. Literally. They always appeared outside your line of sight.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.